Local University protest

Local University protest

This is a discussion on Local University protest within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; A local 2nd Amendment group I have associated myself with has organized a state wide demonstration that is to take place on Wednesday April 28th ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Local University protest

Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar

Local University protest

A local 2nd Amendment group I have associated myself with has organized a state wide demonstration that is to take place on Wednesday April 28th on college campuses around the state of Alaska (so that is the plan anyway). It will involve groups of 2nd Amendment supporters who wish to challenge the University's unlawful and unconstitutional rule that prohibits law abiding citizens from carrying guns. Some individuals who plan to attend have already stated they plan to open carry on campus.

I was told the campus protocol is to lock down the campus if a person is found on campus with a firearm. The goal is to get Universities around the state to recognize that the rule they have created is unlawful and unconstitutional. This is expected to make the national news. There is no state statute that prohibits college campus carry in Alaska. The gentleman who put this demonstration in motion has researched this for 1 and a half years and I personally haven't found anything to indicate that carrying a firearm on campus is illegal so before I get flamed for doing something illegal I put that out there.

The gentleman who got 40 other local people behind him including myself, he stated the goal was to make enough noise that this makes the national news and if we get the public behind this then we very well might be able to get other Universities around the country to re-consider their "gun free" policy, perhaps even motivate individuals in other states to set up similar demonstrations. We have tried again and again to talk to our elected officials, we have tried talking to the University and our voices have fallen on deaf ears every single time. I say its time we be heard once and for all.

I personally will not be carrying a firearm on campus because there is that possibility that those with firearms will get arrested for trespassing after refusing to leave. If we are asked to leave I will probably leave and I'll bring my video camera and an empty holster to the demonstration. I'll update you all with the video footage if I make it home and I plan to interview those who are there with the man that put this thing together.

Before we had planned this the guy went to the UA Board of Regents and talked to them for 30 minutes. After he got done talking to them they acted as though he wasn't even there. He told them that since they would not give him a straight answer he was going to put hundreds of people with firearms on UA campuses around the state. Once he said that to them they wanted him to meet them on a specific day, specific location, and specific time so they could take him in. We did not tell them when we were going to do this demonstration, all they know is that its going to happen real soon.

Just imagine every single campus in the state of Alaska locked down after they find multiple individuals with firearms. I will not be one of the armed ones since I don't feel like getting arrested for trespassing and I'll probably leave if I am asked to but we will see what happens.

Also the man who put this into motion already said he doesn't care if he spends the next 6 months in jail... he feels strongly enough about this that he's going to do it with or without anyone there with him. We already have a lawyer lined up that has been defending bill of rights cases for 20 years.
    USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I am the God fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative you were warned about!

Senior Member Array GoBigOrange's Avatar
    can't wait to see what happens

AzB
    I think the protest is valid. Personally, I would reconsider open carrying as that will be spun into some pretty negative PR on the nightly news.
    Az

-- Luck favors the well prepared.

That may not be the way to get positive attention for OC. It appears that the "in your face demonstrations" in California is going to end up causing a total ban on OC there as the legislature in working on a law to stop it.
    NRA life member.

It may or may not work but the other things we have tried have failed. Even if it totally back fires at least we tried something besides the usual empty holster protests and writing letters which probably end up in the shredder anyway. It's not about open carry it is about telling the college campuses in the states that don't prohibit campus carry by law that what they are doing is unlawful and unconstitutional. A college campus is no more or less safer than any shopping mall, retail store, or city street and we need to tell these leftists that the rules they have created only hurt the very same individuals who pay their paychecks.

Really, what makes a college campus different from any other public place? It's like they sprinkled some magic fairy dust in hopes that nobody would bring guns on campus, well it's kind of late for the 32 Virginia Tech victims. What about the numerous attacks on campuses that go unreported?
    USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I am the God fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative you were warned about!

I am divided on this.

On one hand an OC protest at a college campus where some of the protesters carry firearms smacks of something which will surely get firearms on college campuses banned everywhere. This is not good for our current pendulum swing.

On the other hand why should those ADULT Americans be denied their rights because they choose to get a better education? Children should be protected from violence as much as we can. Methods and ideas for that protection vary but adults have rights and should not be treated as children in regards to those rights.

In the end what is probably going to happen is the SCOTUS is going to get another gun case.

Distinguished Member Array BigStick's Avatar
    If it isn't illegal in the state to carry on a college campus, then all the school can do is ask everyone to leave right? You guys can leave, and then come back another day, continueing until the school gets sick of locking down the campus once a week. If they try to get a restraining order against you, then you have the start of legal proceedings where the laws should be upheld.

If done properly, this could work out well.

Let us know what happens. Good luck.
    Walk softly ...

Cops can't make me safe.

Well I'm all for Law and order. However, until you allow me or my family to sue the university for failure to protect me ( when some nut job shots me) because you won't allow me to carry a firearm, I don't think they have the right to prohibit carry. Going a little further, if I live in a city or state that prohibits me carrying a firearm I assume they are garranteing my safety. We all know that's not possible. Courts have already decided that law enforcement is not obligated to protect me individually just society as a whole. Politicians love to argue a persons rights until it comes to personal safety. A double standard for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by BigStick View Post
    If it isn't illegal in the state to carry on a college campus, then all the school can do is ask everyone to leave right? You guys can leave, and then come back another day, continueing until the school gets sick of locking down the campus once a week. If they try to get a restraining order against you, then you have the start of legal proceedings where the laws should be upheld.

If done properly, this could work out well.

Let us know what happens. Good luck.
    That is correct, if a person is asked to leave an area and refuses to they can be charged with criminal trespass which here is I believe a Class B Misdemeanor. I don't want anything on my record so if I get asked to leave I will leave, but I plan to document as much as I can on video. If need be we'll continue to get the word out until they get so fed up with locking down the campus that they just give up on enforcing their prohibition of firearms on campus and people are going to carry concealed anyway which I imagine many students and faculty members already do.

I know it sounds bad acting like a thorn in their side but our rights have been trampled on for far too long and we let it happen. The Board Of Regents has no authority to tell us that law abiding citizens don't have the right to protect themselves once they step foot onto a college campus. However they can certainly petition the state legislature to add the UA campuses as off limits to concealed carry.

There are many "what ifs" in this case so we'll see what happens. We hope it will do more good than harm but only one way to find out for sure.

Okay so a little update here on the demonstration. The good news is nobody was tackled and arrested for bringing guns onto the campus, and we definitely met the goal of getting the media's attention. The bad news is that seeing other people besides the one involved with the demonstration I could tell they weren't pleased with seeing folks with guns there. The folks who carried guns on campus were simply given a notice that they were in violation of the University regulation. The armed individuals were asked to leave or at least put their guns in their cars then they could come back. We as a group with the media walked out onto the sidewalk near the main road and continued to be heard and we couldn't be asked to leave. Folks driving by honked and waved in support of our cause and some other folks walking by were kind of taken back by what was going on.

I am in the process of uploading the footage I got from the protest and its not the greatest but then again I suck at interviewing people so I got my camera in close to people already being interviewed by the media. There was a lot of noise with the cars, planes, and birds passing by so you may or may not be able to hear all that was said.

In summary it was a peaceful protest and the police that watched us didn't seem at all concerned that we would do something stupid, but they definitely stuck around and gave those who were armed the notices of violation. I am starting to doubt that this will have any affect on the University's policy but only time will tell.

I'm glad it went well and you didnt have any incidences.
    We had an 'emtpy holster' protest at our school b/c pretty much everyone in it went to the school, and although legally one could carry on campus (but not in classrooms - this was in michigan), the university could expel you for it.
    Wo die Notwehr aufhört, fängt der Mord an
    (Murder begins where self-defense ends)
    Georg Büchner

Distinguished Member Array nutz4utwo's Avatar
    Make sure you you'all stay within every single federal and state law if you are going to do this. Even tie your shoe laces the correct way. You are playing with fire.

I am curious, why is a university banning firearms unconstitutional? Just want to hear your argument...
    "a reminder that no law can replace personal responsibility" - Bill Clinton 2010.

Distinguished Member Array BigStick's Avatar
    It sounds like it turned out well. But from the sounds of it, the school didn't follow their policy of people with guns on campus. Maybe you can push on that issue. Make them either follow their policy or change it (maybe just define it better to refer to a shooter, person menacing with a gun). Make it clear that their policy is a joke and will do no good... especially if they don't enforce it.
    Walk softly ...

Distinguished Member Array Spec's Avatar
    Good luck... Do you guys know about The Students for Concealed Carry on Campus?
    Students for Concealed Carry on Campus - ConcealedCampus.com
    NRA Certified Rifle/Pistol Instructor
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G18CFw0lnD8

Accuracy ALWAYS WINS! So carry what you can hit with.

If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics stink.

Out of the video I took I thought this was the best part of it all... unlike the MSM this is all 100% unedited.

YouTube - Gun rights on campus demonstration part 3

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links