OMG, They really do belive that open carry is a threat

This is a discussion on OMG, They really do belive that open carry is a threat within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; One warning was already given by Bumper reference the religious aspect in this thread. So far, that has been ignored. One more and the thread ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 49

Thread: OMG, They really do belive that open carry is a threat

  1. #31
    Administrator
    Array SIXTO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    19,379
    One warning was already given by Bumper reference the religious aspect in this thread. So far, that has been ignored. One more and the thread is done, infractions to be handed out. Its done, its over. Enough is enough.
    "Just blame Sixto"

  2. Remove Ads

  3. #32
    Senior Member Array tbrenke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Posts
    1,006
    Quote Originally Posted by BugDude View Post
    I've been debating the irrationale fear of guns and law abiding responsible gun owners on a columnist's blog for weeks at The Roanoke Times. Some people, you just can't reach. Anyone wanting to join in, please google it and jump in the debate. Also some articles posted in the news: good, bad, and ugly thread.

    When you engage in a battle of intelligence with an unarmed person, they will just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
    I have had better luck banging my head agenst the wall.
    sooner or latter the wall seams to agree with me and I take a nap.
    "I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution, which granted a right to Congress of expending, on objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents." -1792, James Madison
    There are always too many Democratic, Republican and never enough U.S. congressmen.

  4. #33
    Member Array OPS Marine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    16
    You know, I don't understand the fear either. It's a gun. Get over it. No one was that excited when we started wearing BlackBerries on our hips, and I think that the sidearm is becoming just as popular, albeit more controversial. It is just as potent (if not moreso) as a phone because one way or the other, you are going to get help. I think there's a quote somewhere "Fear no man no matter his size, call on me and I will equalize." This is true.

    I haven't heard of ONE incident in which an Open Carrier was wayward of the law (besides the drunk one who called cops on himself) and caused a raucous within the community. There is also no reason to believe that the weapons themselves cause or perpetuate crimes. Some people need to grow up.

  5. #34
    Senior Member Array Gun Bunny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    IN
    Posts
    759
    Quote Originally Posted by INccwchris View Post
    I've been "stalking" this forum for quite some time and reading about how people are deathly afraid of a gun on an innocent man, or womans, belt. I did not belive that someone could genuinely be worried about someone conducting their business. But i was talking to my friend, and she expressed that she would be genuinely worried to the point of leaving where she was because someone was peacefully carrying a sidearm on their hip, then again i have a friend who fears escalators so i guess i should not be surprised anymore
    Welcome from one Hoosier to another!

    You need to ask her this, in our State, there are more 300,000 persons with LTCH, does she realize that everyday she comes into contact with someone carrying a firearm and doesn't know it?

    The thing is if she is that afraid of an object, she should never leave her home. There are a lot of scary things in this world!
    Kahr CW9
    Sig P239/9mm
    Ruger LC9 (when the girlfriend lets me carry her gun)


    "First Duty is To Remember"

  6. #35
    Member
    Array Quicksabre's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Detroit, MI USA
    Posts
    446
    Quote Originally Posted by n3ss View Post
    .... its a fact that during a certain dark age society pretty much stopped advanced. its also a "fact" that far today right-wing religious groups all over the world support a regressive, oppressed society and generally support genocide (whether they openly admit it or not) of those who don't support their point of view.
    Will you guys please drop the religious debate! I like this thread and don't want to see it nuked.
    "Be justified. Blood may be easily wiped from the sword.
    It cannot, however, be put back from where it came." --Quicksabre

  7. #36
    Member
    Array Quicksabre's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Detroit, MI USA
    Posts
    446
    Quote Originally Posted by BugDude View Post
    I've been debating the irrationale fear of guns and law abiding responsible gun owners
    I think it goes a bit deeper than just fear of guns. I think it's often an irrational belief that "it won't happen to me." "Bad things happen to other people," is another version. We probably all do it in one way or another.

    Guns are part of it, but ask almost anyone who is anti - usually they don't take ANY measures for their own safety, believing the police or the government will be there to help them when they need it. It could be part of the big media brainwashing.

    I see it in my karate class all the time - often I have to spend a considerable amount of time convincing prospective students they need to be concerned about self-defense at all. Once you have their attention and lay out the facts, most people get it.

    I also think it's a mistake to consider pacifists as non-intelligent. They're just ignorant of the fact that bad things could indeed happen to them, that they/theirs could be a target. They're not stupid, by definition, in most cases. They can be "converted," so to speak, to true self defense-aware (and active) citizens. I have seen it happen, and have happily participated in the conversions. They don't all become gun owners, but often they do.
    "Be justified. Blood may be easily wiped from the sword.
    It cannot, however, be put back from where it came." --Quicksabre

  8. #37
    Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    1,786
    ""I'm thinking they're afraid of carry in general, open or concealed. The "logic" - if you can call it that - is simply what we all know: fear of guns in general, and the idea (often promoted by law enforcement officials) that only "trained" personnel like LEOs can responsibly handle guns. We are far removed from the times when every family had guns. Our complacency has led to this."" Quote from Quicksabre,


    in Indiana this may be an issue since there is no class required to carry a firearm, but in many other states classes are required, so would it not be safe to assume that most people carrying openly would have some sort of firearms training? not trying to say you're wrong, i'm just adding a contradicting argument. sorry if it comes off like im correcting you, you are entirely correct in your statement

    Gun Bunny, what part of Indy are you from?
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

  9. #38
    Member
    Array IWLAFART's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Martinsburg, WV
    Posts
    335
    The second part of your post is true. The first part makes it a slam against people of faith, implying they are willfully ignorant or intellectually inferior to you. It's insulting, irrelevant, and inappropriate to this forum. (snip)


    Member:USCCA, NRA, GOA, WVCDL
    U.S. Navy vet 1955-1959, USS Dashiell DD 659. Glock 19, Ruger LCP, Ruger .357 Mag.
    When you are at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on.

  10. #39
    Distinguished Member Array jumpwing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Washington
    Posts
    1,271
    It's the fear of the unknown. The imagination runs wild and you begin to think about what "could" happen if that stranger over there got into an argument, or had some mental "episode", or got overzealous about playing the hero in a situation that didn't call for it.

    This concept is pretty easy to understand because we all do it, too. There are many "scenario" threads on just about every gun forum where what-ifs are discussed in considerable detail. Some of the scenarios are feasible and worth pondering, some are... well, a little more "unique."

    The thing that hoplophobes never seem to digest is the fact that they are reacting to what they see. They get stumped when you remind them that 99% of criminals hide their weapon until it's time to strike. It's the guns they don't see that they should be thinking about.

    (No, that is not a commentary on law-abiding citizens who choose to responsibly CC.)
    "The flock sleep peaceably in their pasture at night because Sheepdogs stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    cafepress.com/bgstudios

  11. #40
    Distinguished Member Array Spec's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Metro Detroit Area
    Posts
    1,716
    Quote Originally Posted by WhoWeBePart1 View Post
    As an atheist I have learned this.

    No matter how well you present facts. Some people will never change their mind.

    I meant no insult at all to anyone. I was just stating a fact and nothing more. My goal was not to hijack the thread or turn it into a religious fight. I know what it is like to present facts to people and they refuse to accept your fact as truth and this is something I learned being an atheist.
    that's ^fine I'm not going to hate on you.... but I do agree.

    I can't stand people (like my liberal cousin) who thinks all guns need to be taken away, so things like V. Tech, & Columbine don't happen. You could argue until the cows come home, but all guns cause crime in his mind, except for cops guns, and the military. (which makes no sense, seeing how bad militaries around the world use guns against innocent people.) He believes our government would never turn against us and they have our safety and concerns close at heart.

    I always just tell myself that the 2nd Amend is on my side not his. can I get a Amen?
    NRA Certified Rifle/Pistol Instructor
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G18CFw0lnD8

    Accuracy ALWAYS WINS! So carry what you can hit with.

    If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics stink.

  12. #41
    Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    1,786
    Mk, update, we went to Pops Guns, IMHO the best store with a shooting range in Indiana, not my favorite gun store by far, but the nicest range ive seen for the price. She insisted on bringing one of her liberal friends, Allison, who btw, very nice looking respectable female, cept for the liberal part, she yelped when a gentleman unholstered and handed his gun over to be fitted for a crimson trace grip because, and i quote, "he pulled it out and i thought he was going to shoot us." which drew a funny look from the clerk. we got her mace and the three of us headed back to the truck. her friend looked at me and goes, mind if we go back in, i think i might want one of those spray thingies too. "this was just a cover as i found out later" so alex, "she who runs from safe holstered guns" stayed in the truck to compose herself. long story short, by the end of it, Allison handled her first AR-15 today, and we are going on a range date next week :)and Alex is still afraid of all guns legally carried openly
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

  13. #42
    Senior Member Array Gun Bunny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    IN
    Posts
    759
    Quote Originally Posted by INccwchris View Post
    Gun Bunny, what part of Indy are you from?
    Decatur Co., In between Greensburg and N.Vernon, SR-3
    Kahr CW9
    Sig P239/9mm
    Ruger LC9 (when the girlfriend lets me carry her gun)


    "First Duty is To Remember"

  14. #43
    Member Array charliej47's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Middletown, Ohio
    Posts
    72
    Quote Originally Posted by INccwchris View Post
    I've been "stalking" this forum for quite some time and reading about how people are deathly afraid of a gun on an innocent man, or womans, belt. I did not belive that someone could genuinely be worried about someone conducting their business. But i was talking to my friend, and she expressed that she would be genuinely worried to the point of leaving where she was because someone was peacefully carrying a sidearm on their hip, then again i have a friend who fears escalators so i guess i should not be surprised anymore
    I too know someone who stated that they can think of no reason why anyone should have a gun. This is from a woman with two teenage daughters and a husband that works swing! She made the statement that she would call the police if anything happened and they would take care of the problem!
    The Second Amendment is about the right to be able to protect oneself from all who would do us harm including Legislators!

    I came into this world screaming and covered in someone Else's blood, don't care if I go out the same way

  15. #44
    Member
    Array Quicksabre's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Detroit, MI USA
    Posts
    446
    Quote Originally Posted by jumpwing View Post
    The thing that hoplophobes never seem to digest is the fact that they are reacting to what they see.
    I had to look that word up, heh. I like it: "Morbid fear of weaponry."
    "Be justified. Blood may be easily wiped from the sword.
    It cannot, however, be put back from where it came." --Quicksabre

  16. #45
    Distinguished Member Array jumpwing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Washington
    Posts
    1,271
    Quote Originally Posted by Quicksabre View Post
    "Hoplophobia"

    I had to look that word up, heh. I like it: "Morbid fear of weaponry."
    I read it on a gun forum (this one, maybe) and had to look it up as well. All the other nonvulgar terms just sound lame.
    "The flock sleep peaceably in their pasture at night because Sheepdogs stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    cafepress.com/bgstudios

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. Funny concealed carry with an obviously OPEN carry holster I saw today...
    By targus in forum Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: April 19th, 2010, 06:09 PM
  2. Open carry inside house in a concealed carry state...
    By RogerThat in forum Open Carry Issues & Discussions
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: January 3rd, 2010, 08:40 PM
  3. Interesting article regarding TX open carry and campus carry
    By arawn in forum Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: February 2nd, 2009, 09:01 PM
  4. open carry..open id
    By something in forum Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions
    Replies: 47
    Last Post: September 18th, 2006, 11:18 PM