Armed man arrested as Obama left N.C. (Merged)

This is a discussion on Armed man arrested as Obama left N.C. (Merged) within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by TheoryRealm You know, sometimes we can be caught up in our "rights" and see EVERYTHING as being "against" us, but this clown, ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Armed man arrested as Obama left N.C. (Merged)

Quote Originally Posted by TheoryRealm View Post
    You know, sometimes we can be caught up in our "rights" and see EVERYTHING as being "against" us, but this clown, has a couple of issues....MANY issues, in fact.

Perhaps I'm dwelling too much on common sense here, but the idiot CLEARLY doesn't help OUR cause....

On a side note, as for him not being charged on the other issues and "just" the "armed to the terror of the public BS", I'm sure ANY judge in the United States of America would, after hearing the idiot has all this "police" gear, AND stating he wanted to 'see the president", give him that kind of bail. Should have been higher. The guy has issues, clearly. Lastly, "the investigation into what McVey was doing with a gun, with formulas for rifle scopes and why his car was equipped with police gear was continuing..." Good..
    As a gun advocate, I think we would all agree his "rights" were violated if he was simply legally carrying and was just there. But there is waaaaaay too much W T H factor going on here to stand here and act like this clueless clown should somehow be supported.
    I don't disagree that this guy is a pathetic loser, but I maintain that absolutely ANY clean cut american citizen that showed up in the same parking lot with a gun on the belt would have received the same treatment even in the absence of ANY of the other characteristics of this loser. That is why I think this country is going off the deep end. If you disagree with my thoughts perhaps you may want to demonstrate my error in thinking by open carrying the next time the president comes to NC. My feeling is you would be arrested if you got within 10 miles of the president, let alone in a parking lot at the airport.

For further evidence, look at the other recent and not so recent stories of "man arrested for having an arsenal in his house". For example look at the case of the MA man where from what I can tell all the serious charges have been dropped. According to the news reports I have been able the find the remaining charges will not result in state prison time even if he is found guilty. Even considering this the judge still "considers him a danger to the community" and he is still in jail with NO BAIL!

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...ageddon-3.html

2. Remove Ads

OK the guy, had Police gear, police scanner with ear bud, gun, police equipment on and in his car, and scope formulas. @ the airport asking to see the president?

Sigdaddy, if you had the kind of list of items, and somebody got upset...yes I would be a bit worried being slapped with that.

But you just minding your own way...no nothing to REALLY worry about.

Plus into me worrying is a waste of energy, and burns out the snapse in the brain.

Quote Originally Posted by ep1953 View Post
    I don't disagree that this guy is a pathetic loser, but I maintain that absolutely ANY clean cut american citizen that showed up in the same parking lot with a gun on the belt would have received the same treatment even in the absence of ANY of the other characteristics of this loser. That is why I think this country is going off the deep end. If you disagree with my thoughts perhaps you may want to demonstrate my error in thinking by open carrying the next time the president comes to NC.

For further evidence, look at the other recent and not so recent stories of "man arrested for having an arsenal in his house". For example look at the case of the MA man where from what I can tell all the serious charges have been dropped. According to the news reports I have been able the find the remaining charges will not result in state prison time even if he is found guilty. Even considering this the judge still "considers him a danger to the community" and he is still in jail with NO BAIL!

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...ageddon-3.html

Read the above, underlined....many times, please. We aren't comparing people having guns in their houses, as many of us here do, or even "open carrying". We are talking about an IDIOT, who IMPERSONATED AN OFFICER, carried at an airport, had the audacity to say he wanted to see the President of the United States of America with all this, et cetera...et cetera.

Now, if *I* would have done the SAME actions as this "two cans shy of a friggin' six pack" idiot would have done, then *I* would have fully expected to BE in the squad car as well.

AGAIN....let's not confuse our RIGHTS...with this idiot's ACTIONS.
    Let's not confuse having a bunch of weapons and the police getting involved with THIS idiot's ACTIONS.

He...was wrong. Clear as day. Much of the info coming out now shows he was a "wannabee" cop.
    Stop acting like we're fightin' for "freedom". We are ALREADY....free.

Timothy's Brother? (McVey)
    “The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government.”

Patrick Henry
    Quote Originally Posted by UnklFungus
    If it is ok to disarm legal citizens to reduce crime, then doesn't it stand to disband the military to prevent war?

Read the above, underlined....many times, please. We aren't comparing people having guns in their houses, as many of us here do, or even "open carrying". We are talking about an IDIOT, who IMPERSONATED AN OFFICER, carried at an airport, had the audacity to say he wanted to see the President of the United States of America with all this, et cetera...et cetera.

Now, if *I* would have done the SAME actions as this "two cans shy of a friggin' six pack" idiot would have done, then *I* would have fully expected to BE in the squad car as well.

AGAIN....let's not confuse our RIGHTS...with this idiot's ACTIONS.
    Let's not confuse having a bunch of weapons and the police getting involved with THIS idiot's ACTIONS.

He...was wrong. Clear as day. Much of the info coming out now shows he was a "wannabee" cop.
    That is my point! Open carry is legal in NC but you, I or anyone else who open carried in that parking lot would have been arrested. No additional action such as having a car decked out with multiple antenna and flashing lights would have been required. It wouldn't have mattered if we were just there to pick up Aunt Sally and didn't even have any knowledge that the president was there.

Senior Member Array Free American's Avatar
    I think everybody is missing a big problem here..

$100,000 bond for a MISDEMEANOR??????????????????????
    They who give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin

Previously known as "cjm5874"

Quote Originally Posted by ep1953 View Post
    That is my point! Open carry is legal in NC but you, I or anyone else who open carried in that parking lot would have been arrested. No additional action such as having a car decked out with multiple antenna and flashing lights would have been required. It wouldn't have mattered if we were just there to pick up Aunt Sally and didn't even have any knowledge that the president was there.
    WHO states that you or I would have been arrested if we "opened carried" in a parking lot in NC with the president nearby? Perhaps if this impersonating "officer" would have just been "open carrying" without driving a cop car and all the items plus "wanting to see the president" he could have not went through this. HE...was wrong, ep1953. HIS ACTIONS, brought this on.

Listen, I fully understand you have a problem with our "rights" being torn apart, and I am with you on much of that. You've tried to "equate" open carry, and having a bunch of weapons in our homes to THIS blatant idiotic action. It just doesn't compute, man.
    But THIS idiot drew maaaaaaajor attention to himself by HIS ACTIONS.
    Sirens....
    FOUR antenna's...
    Police wannabe...
    Camera mounted...
    Scanner....
    WEAPON...
    "want to see the president"...

No, you or I being in a parking lot OPEN CARRYING LEGALLY, would NOT.....have received the same treatment.
    When the police started adding up all this clown was doing with all of the above, and blatantly acting like an officer of the law, and then being ARMED, and talking about the president, and.......it in no way, shape, or form equates to you or I. It just doesn't.

VIP Member
    Frogbones, one has to look at the whole picture.

The original article had this comment: "Authorities say he had a car equipped with police gear, including a siren and flashing lights."

I am pretty darn sure that around here that by itself is illegal unless it is on an LE official car, fire department vehicle or pov of a volunteer fire fighter, and a few other exceptions for security companies and emergency vehicles of one sort or another.

While each of the items listed from gun to lights to siren to question he asked by themselves could be innocent, the whole picture needs to be viewed. We do allow cases to be based on circumstantial evidence and have convicted many people of murder on that basis. Here, the circumstantial evidence as a whole is that he was up to no good. Yes, 100K bail sounds pretty good to me.

Volusia County Judge Peter McGlashan ordered the teen held on $100,000 bail, an amount Nora Miles says is beyond her family's reach.

The above statement comes from the story about the 70 yo woman who fought her carjacker...$100k for carjacking (a felony). To add to my earlier point of excessive bail.
    They who give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin

Circumstantial eveidence is thought policing, your bail is set on crimes they have evidence you committed, not what somebody thinks you are going to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Free American View Post
    Circumstantial eveidence is thought policing, your bail is set on crimes they have evidence you committed, not what somebody thinks you are going to do.
    If I, as a judge, heard the case of an idiot impersonating a police officer and armed, and speaking about wanting to see the PRESIDENT, then his bail would be MUCH higher....
    BAIL and its accompanying attributes...is often set on the premise of what you MIGHT do, hence leaving the country....et cetera. So no, it is NOT only set on your actions.

The court should take into account:

the nature and seriousness of the offence or default (and the probable method of dealing with the defendant for it),
    the character, antecedents, associations and community ties of the defendant,
    the defendant’s bail record, and
    the strength of the evidence.[5]
    The court may also refuse bail:

for the defendant's own protection;
    where the defendant is already serving a custodial sentence for another offence;
    where the court is satisfied that it has not been practicable to obtain sufficient information;
    where the defendant has already absconded in the present proceedings;
    where the defendant has been convicted but the court is awaiting a pre-sentence report, other report or inquiry and it would be impracticable to complete the inquiries or make the report without keeping the defendant in custody;
    where the defendant is charged with a non-imprisonable offence, has already been released on bail for the offence with which he is now accused, and has been arrested for absconding or breaching bail

C'mon people....really....it's not the friggin' mayor...

But THIS idiot drew maaaaaaajor attention to himself by HIS ACTIONS.
    Sirens....
    FOUR antenna's...
    Police wannabe...
    Camera mounted...
    Scanner....
    WEAPON...
    "want to see the president"...
    Around here it wouldn't be anything unusual for someone on the VFD or Rescue squad to have:

Sirens
    Strobe Lights (keep in mind they didn't say his were on)
    Antenna[s]
    Scanner
    and Weapons in the vehicle

As for the dope sheet for the scope, I have one and it's usually in my truck, along with my bolt action 308 and my Smith & Wesson 4006 which is on my hip.

He may have been trying to cause problems, maybe. Damn guys, let's not convict him yet. The media can make someone guilty before they even see the court room. Anyone remember the Duke lacrosse rapists who turned out being innocent?

Distinguished Member Array GunGeezer's Avatar
    A close friend of mine was a Chicago, suburban area LEO. He used to tell me about the catchall category for arresting someone who had not clearly broken a law. It was called "disturbing the peace". They could lawfully detain anyone for anything under that heading. Sometimes it was only to check priors or general background. Of course, this was before you could find out that information on any computer.

Quote Originally Posted by calynn View Post
    Around here it wouldn't be anything unusual for someone on the VFD or Rescue squad to have:

Sirens
    Strobe Lights (keep in mind they didn't say his were on)
    Antenna[s]
    Scanner
    and Weapons in the vehicle

As for the dope sheet for the scope, I have one and it's usually in my truck, along with my bolt action 308 and my Smith & Wesson 4006 which is on my hip.

He may have been trying to cause problems, maybe. Damn guys, let's not convict him yet. The media can make someone guilty before they even see the court room. Anyone remember the Duke lacrosse rapists who turned out being innocent?

Agreed man.

This is looking more and more like just a "wannabee" who was in the wrong place at the wrong time, playing "wannabee".

Coshocton isn't too far from where I live and a few of my buddies happen to live out there and went to high school with Sean. Take time to read what the local papers have to say about him.

Sean McVey had loaded gun near Asheville airport, police say | coshoctontribune.com | Coshocton Tribune

Sean McVey a 'good kid,' say those who know him | coshoctontribune.com | Coshocton Tribune

Websites reveal more about Joseph Sean McVey | coshoctontribune.com | Coshocton Tribune

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links