Armed man arrested as Obama left N.C. (Merged)

This is a discussion on Armed man arrested as Obama left N.C. (Merged) within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I absolutely hate to see things like this. Going to be just another in the long line of reasons the Anti-gun crowd will use to ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Armed man arrested as Obama left N.C. (Merged)

I absolutely hate to see things like this. Going to be just another in the long line of reasons the Anti-gun crowd will use to justify taking firearms away or restricting them severly.

Now everytime a firearms enthusiast or person who believes in RBKA comes around, they will be labled as a gun nut, just like this fellow.

Obviously this guy is off the chart, but he doesn't represent any of us. Yet, this is the type of person the Anti's will use to defend their stance.

Ohio man arrested as Obama leaves NC faces hearing
    April 26, 2010 @ 06:58 AM

The Associated Press

The Herald-Dispatch

ASHEVILLE, N.C. An armed man who was spotted at a North Carolina airport parking lot just after Air Force One departed and said he wanted to see the president was to appear before a judge Monday.

Authorities arrested Joseph Sean McVey, 23, of Coshocton, Ohio, on Sunday afternoon at the Asheville Regional Airport and charged him with going armed in terror of the public, a misdemeanor.

A first appearance in court was scheduled for Monday, said Sgt. John Lutz of the Buncombe County jail, where McVey was being held on $100,000 bond.

McVey told an officer in the airport parking lot he wanted to see the president and he had a car equipped with police gear, including a siren and flashing lights, though he did not work in law enforcement, authorities said.

Security was heightened at the airport Sunday because President Barack Obama was leaving after spending the weekend vacationing in Asheville.

At about 2 p.m., airport police saw McVey get out of a maroon car with Ohio plates and that he had a sidearm, airport police Capt. Kevan Smith said. Both airport police and the Secret Service questioned him and he was taken into custody. The suspect was nowhere near the president's plane, which had just departed, and was in a rental car return lot that is open to the public, Smith said.

His car was equipped with clear LED law enforcement-style strobe lights in the front and rear dash, Smith said. The car also had a mounted digital camera in the front window, four large antennas on the trunk lid, and under the steering wheel was a working siren box.

When McVey got out of the car, he was listening to a handheld scanner and radio that had a remote earpiece, Smith said. Police said he was monitoring local agencies and had formulas for rifle scopes on a note in his cup holder. Police did not immediately elaborate on what the formulas might mean.

McVey gave authorities an Ohio driver's license, but a computer check failed to show the number was valid, police said. His hometown of Coshocton is about halfway between Pittsburgh and Columbus, Ohio.

When Officer Kaleb Rice asked him what he was doing, McVey told him he heard the president was in town and wanted to see him.

Rice removed the firearm and took McVey into custody.

The investigation into what McVey was doing with a gun, with formulas for rifle scopes and why his car was equipped with police gear was continuing, Smith said. The Secret Service had no comment on the arrest Sunday, deferring to airport police.
    Ohio man arrested as Obama leaves NC faces hearing - The Herald Dispatch
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

Sounds like another LE wannabe who didn't make the cut. And maybe a couple of fries short of a Happpy Meal.

Armed man arrested as Obama left N.C.

North Carolina has the great paradox of Legal open Carry and the Illegal act of "Going armed to the Terror of the Public" - whatever that means????
    Now this guy seems to have been clearly whacked and belongs in jail regardless. But, it will be interesting to see how this plays out in court. Anyone run into open carry issues in NC? This is a tough state to carry in.

Armed man arrested as Obama left N.C. faces hearing

ASHEVILLE, North Carolina (AP) An armed man who was arrested at a North Carolina airport just after President Obama left the U.S. state is to appear before a judge.

A jailer in Asheville says 23-year-old Joseph Sean McVey of Coshocton, Ohio, has a first court appearance Monday.

McVey was arrested Sunday afternoon at the Asheville Regional Airport and is charged with going armed in terror of the public, a misdemeanor. He's being held at a county jail on $100,000 bond.

Authorities say McVey told an officer in the airport parking lot he wanted to see the president. Authorities say he had a car equipped with police gear, including a siren and flashing lights.

Airport Police Capt. Kevan Smith says McVey is not in law enforcement.

Officials say he was never near the president.

Security was heightened at the airport because President Obama was leaving after spending the weekend vacationing in Asheville. He was headed to a memorial service for 29 West Virginia coal miners killed in an explosion.

At about 2 p.m. local time, airport police saw McVey get out of a maroon car with Ohio plates and that he had a sidearm, Smith said. Both airport police and the Secret Service questioned him and he was taken into custody. The suspect was not near the president's plane, which had just departed, and was in a rental car return lot that is open to the public, Smith said.

His car was equipped with clear LED law enforcement-style strobe lights in the front and rear dash, Smith said. The car also had a mounted digital camera in the front window, four large antennas on the trunk lid, and under the steering wheel was a working siren box. Smith said McVey was not in law enforcement.

When McVey got out of the car, he was listening to a handheld scanner and radio that had a remote earpiece, Smith said. Police said he was monitoring local agencies and had formulas for rifle scopes on a note in his cup holder. Police did not immediately elaborate on what the formulas might mean and Smith was not available to comment late Sunday.

McVey gave authorities an Ohio driver's license, but a computer check failed to show the number was valid, police said.

When Officer Kaleb Rice asked him what he was doing, McVey told him he heard the president was in town and wanted to see him.

Rice removed the firearm and took McVey into custody. He was being held at the county jail on $100,000 bond.

The investigation into what McVey was doing with a gun, with formulas for rifle scopes and why his car was equipped with police gear was continuing, Smith said. The Secret Service had no comment on the arrest, deferring to airport police.
    Copyright 2010 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Distinguished Member Array Paymeister's Avatar
    Gasp! Do we finally know who Gecko is?
    Recently updated website: http://www.damagedphotorepair.com

VIP Member
    "McVey told an officer in the airport parking lot he wanted to see the president and he had a car equipped with police gear, including a siren and flashing lights, though he did not work in law enforcement, authorities said."

Police impersonator; dumb dumb who actually thought he could pull off a political assassination; and a freaky homonym of a name shared with the other mass murderer McVeigh.

More than a few fries short, this one is was up to no good.

Quote Originally Posted by SigDaddy View Post
    But, it will be interesting to see how this plays out in court. Anyone run into open carry issues in NC? This is a tough state to carry in.

No, this has nothing really to do with how "tough" it is to carry in NC., or how this is an "issue" for any of us. WHY do we even need to discuss this?

Clearly, the idiot was at an AIRPORT with a weapons, IMPERSONATING an officer, and had no valid driver's license, and....

-->When McVey got out of the car, he was listening to a handheld scanner and radio that had a remote earpiece, Smith said. Police said he was monitoring local agencies and had formulas for rifle scopes on a note in his cup holder.

-->McVey gave authorities an Ohio driver's license, but a computer check failed to show the number was valid.

You know, there is plenty to ****** about in relation to 2nd Amendment issues across the board, but when a clear idiot from NC acts like a clear idiot, then leave his butt in jail.
    (Full Disclosure....I'm from High Point, NC)
    Stop acting like we're fightin' for "freedom". We are ALREADY....free.

I would like to call BS on this.

The guy may be pathetic, he appears to be a LEO wanna be and a fan of president obama. Neither of these things is illegal!

He wasn't charged with threatening the president, impersonating a police officer, carrying a weapon in a prohibited area or any other felony. We was charged with going armed to the terror of the public BS and for this the bail is set at one hundred thousand dollars???? It also appears he should be charged with driving without a license, but I still can't see a 100 grand bail for that.

At the risk of stating the obvious, it appears to me that things are going a little overboard in this country.

Not to mention the name "McVey" sounds oddly familiar and can be used by the media to strike up fear.

But seriously, this dude was probably nuts. The police probably just saved someones life.

There are always 4 sides to a story. Your side, his side, the medias side, and the truth.
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    Question everything, Learn something, Answer nothing.
    Those who have an answer for everything, have an answer for nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by ep1953 View Post
    I would like to call BS on this.

The guy may be pathetic, he appears to be a LEO wanna be and a fan of president obama. Neither of these things is illegal!

He wasn't charged with threatening the president, impersonating a police officer, carrying a weapon in a prohibited area or any other felony. We was charged with going armed to the terror of the public BS and for this the bail is set at one hundred thousand dollars???? It also appears he should be charged with driving without a license, but I still can't see a 100 grand bail for that.

At the risk of stating the obvious, it appears to me that things are going a little overboard in this country.

You know, sometimes we can be caught up in our "rights" and see EVERYTHING as being "against" us, but this clown, has a couple of issues....MANY issues, in fact.

Perhaps I'm dwelling too much on common sense here, but the idiot CLEARLY doesn't help OUR cause....

On a side note, as for him not being charged on the other issues and "just" the "armed to the terror of the public BS", I'm sure ANY judge in the United States of America would, after hearing the idiot has all this "police" gear, AND stating he wanted to 'see the president", give him that kind of bail. Should have been higher. The guy has issues, clearly. Lastly, "the investigation into what McVey was doing with a gun, with formulas for rifle scopes and why his car was equipped with police gear was continuing..." Good..
    As a gun advocate, I think we would all agree his "rights" were violated if he was simply legally carrying and was just there. But there is waaaaaay too much W T H factor going on here to stand here and act like this clueless clown should somehow be supported.

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    Sounds to me like the firearm had little to do with the arrest per say; the lights and equipment probably got him nabbed. Anywhere the Pres. goes, a security area is set up a certain distance aroud him, and firearms are prohibited. Outside of that is okay, as demonstrated by the guy in AZ or wherever that recent inccident occured that hit the media.

Again, there's probably more to this than the media reported. You know them: stop at the word firearm and concentrate on that!
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

DUDE!! Gecko45 just went a little too far! He probably almost drove the modified golf cart there just incase a fast exit was needed.

Anyhoo, I agree..there it just to many WTH details that are a bit wierd. I thought for a minute that "The Man" over reacted...but to manys things that were fishy.

"Going armed to the Terror of the Public."

I would like for this to be a discussion about "Going armed to the Terror of the Public." OK, the guy belongs in jail. Here is the way I see it. It seems as though "terror of the public" can be used as a subjective tool by the judicial system to arrest someone if they need a reason. I think Law Enforcement used good judgment here and used it appropriately. However this is what worries me - if I am in the grocery store and lean over to get something off the bottom shelf and my gun gets exposed and some lady with a six year old sees it and freaks, store is evacuated, police are called in - Have I terrorized the public? Am I at the mercy of who knows what to defend myself legally. This is sticky IMO. Reminder - we do have open carry in NC.

I would like for this to be a discussion about "Going armed to the Terror of the Public." OK, the guy belongs in jail. Here is the way I see it. It seems as though "terror of the public" can be used as a subjective tool by the judicial system to arrest someone if they need a reason. I think Law Enforcement used good judgment here and used it appropriately. However this is what worries me - if I am in the grocery store and lean over to get something off the bottom shelf and my gun gets exposed and some lady with a six year old sees it and freaks, store is evacuated, police are called in - Have I terrorized the public? Am I at the mercy of who knows what to defend myself legally. This is sticky IMO. Reminder - we do have open carry in NC.

Well, then we need to "shift" from the topic of THIS man and HIS actions if you'd like to discuss "terror of the public" so broadly.
    Often times, we get on a discussion that veers waaaaay off from the topic at hand. (Internet/blogs/forums/discussions are this way of course.)
    I don't think THIS example is a very good example to begin a discussion on what we think our "rights" are in regards to "Going armed to the Terror of the Public." The guy is clearly a nutbag.

But ok, let's veer towards some examples instead of this one....

No.

There have been several important judicial opinions that put some perimeters on going armed to the terror of the public. These opinions state that having a gun on your person is not enough to say someone has going armed to the terror of the public. There has to be something additional that can be interpreted by a reasonable person as terrorizing. Usually this includes things like making threats, waving the gun about in public, walking down the street with your hand on your gun, or with your gun in hand, etc. Even that isn't enough. They also have to prove that you had some sort of "evil intent."

So, some BS LEO having a bad day may pick you up and try to slap your with going armed to the terror of the public, but unless they can prove your were doing more than just carrying a gun the charges will not stick.

State v. Huntley
    State v. Kerner
    Last edited by DZcarry; April 26th, 2010 at 12:37 PM. Reason: added case law cites
    Proud Lady Blue Dog

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links