going armed in terror of the public

This is a discussion on going armed in terror of the public within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Quote "Per the news articles posted, he had a prior arrest and conviction in Ohio for pulling a stunt in which he displayed a gun ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: going armed in terror of the public

Quote "Per the news articles posted, he had a prior arrest and conviction in Ohio for pulling a stunt in which he displayed a gun inappropriately."

The article I read (in the link above) said he was arrested but later released and not charged.

You gota watch out for those ham radio enthusiasts though, most of them are sort a goofy.

"scope formulas found" I think the proper term is "dope". They might even be able to find some reloading data in my vehicle, so what?

The kid did nothing illegal, unless being a $hit magnet is illegal. He should have kept it concealed or left it in his vehicle - no one would have known he was a goofy ham radio operator with a gun.

Kudos to the law enforcement peeps who in the nick of time foiled another crime that clearly never was going to happen.

He is only guilty of using poor judgment.

tom

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    Per the news articles posted, he had a prior arrest and conviction in Ohio for pulling a stunt in which he displayed a gun inappropriately.
    On the instant of contact being made at the scene, was this person known, and was it known he had such a history?
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I just wonder how often a misdemeanor carries $100,000 Bond?

seems a tad high... and I have never seen a Pontiac Grand Prix police car either...

VIP Member

re: tom n8ies

Quote Originally Posted by tom n8ies View Post
    Quote "Per the news articles posted, he had a prior arrest and conviction in Ohio for pulling a stunt in which he displayed a gun inappropriately."

The article I read (in the link above) said he was arrested but later released and not charged.
    My mistake.

But the point I made basically stands. He has been arrested now twice. Something isn't right. How many folks here have been arrested twice for unrelated events and been innocent, had the charges dropped, both times.

In some off topic threads OPFOR likes to play with probabilities. He presents some interesting games and math puzzles. Well the probability of being arrested twice and being completely innocent is quite low. I'll leave the calculations for a different thread.

In my 67 years I have never been arrested and received only one traffic ticket. This kid is doing stuff that is over the top.

It is also problematic to my mind as to why he wasn't charged in OH. It seems as if he should have been. The story describes an extremely inappropriate display of a firearm. Here it would be the crime of intentional display.

That action is why the police were called to the scene in Ohio. Maybe they just dropped the charge on a deal that he will leave the state?

You gota watch out for those ham radio enthusiasts though, most of them are sort a goofy.
    My old boss, described well. :)

My mistake.

But the point I made basically stands. He has been arrested now twice. Something isn't right. How many folks here have been arrested twice for unrelated events and been innocent, had the charges dropped, both times.

In some off topic threads OPFOR likes to play with probabilities. He presents some interesting games and math puzzles. Well the probability of being arrested twice and being completely innocent is quite low. I'll leave the calculations for a different thread.

In my 67 years I have never been arrested and received only one traffic ticket. This kid is doing stuff that is over the top.

It is also problematic to my mind as to why he wasn't charged in OH. It seems as if he should have been. The story describes an extremely inappropriate display of a firearm. Here it would be the crime of intentional display.

That action is why the police were called to the scene in Ohio. Maybe they just dropped the charge on a deal that he will leave the state?

My old boss, described well. :)

Agreed about his "actions" on the display of a firearm.
    And then...he goes and plays a part again, of a wannabee. This idiot, is someone who needs his permit revoked, ASAP.
    Stop acting like we're fightin' for "freedom". We are ALREADY....free.

For the sake of argument..

He has been arrested now twice.
    Zero convictions

Next: Due process--never taken to court...innocent until proven guilty.

I do think he did exhibit poor judgment in his attempt to see the President with a firearm. Plus, I would like to know the details of the Ohio incident....for all we know, he could have been carrying concealed and had the wind open his jacket and someone called MWAG.....or...maybe not. We don't know be cause he wasn't brought to trial for us to know the facts.

As far as revoking his permit....for what exactly? What criminal law did he break? The airport issue will probably get him a trespass order. He didn't confront anyone with his firearm, nor (according to the police in the article) did he communicate a threat to the President...

I just hope none of us are ever caught up in the wrong place, wrong time sweepstakes...
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Quote Originally Posted by SIGguy229 View Post
    I just hope none of us are ever caught up in the wrong place, wrong time sweepstakes...

The day ANY of us here are too damned stupid to realize if WE were armed in an airport area, near the president, with a record of an incident in OH, acting like a wannabee with 4 antenna swayin' and telling the feds we want to see the president, then we would DESERVE to be in the wrong place, wrong time...

I dunno, I don't think I, nor hopefully anyone here, would be THAT friggin', ridiculously stupid....

Stop acting like we're fightin' for "freedom". We are ALREADY....free.

VIP Member
    I agree with some here who point out that each individual component of this guy's acts might have an innocent explanation and be perfectly legal. OTOH, charges get sustained all the time on circumstantial evidence; the totality of the picture.

Here the whole picture looks bad. Especially when you know about the prior incident-- which fortunately for the kid, a jury will not be allowed to find out.

Without the prior, I think it is possible he won't be convicted, though there is still a circumstantial case that seem pretty strong. We have the luxury of knowing about the prior, and that info sure makes the guy look like uh, not quite right and up to no good. He might actually be innocent of anything but being stupid, but it will, as someone else stated, take a good jury and a discerning judge for him to walk from this one.

Where do you get this? Possibly there is another article I didn't find, because the one I found about the prior incident merely said he went to the passenger side of his vehicle and "retrieved" his gun. It said nothing about waving, displaying or doing anything else with it. He could (based on that article) very easily have merely put it on his belt.

"Intentional display"? Is OC illegal where you live?

EDIT: Never mind, I just saw that you live in Texas...with the silly "no OC" law.
    Gun Control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound.

-- L. Neil Smith

Hey Ya'll from NC. The truth is in NC if you open carry most folks don't care. If someone does complain, the LEO will identify you and ask you why you are carrying. If you seem rationale they will tell you someone complained but that is all. If you are dressed in Gang colors, or insisting the martians are coming or hanging out near the US President you will probably go to jail.

The problem with this scenario is that unless he was waving the gun around or making threats he was not GATTTOTP. So they arrested him, set an unusually high bail, and the feds asked that he not be ALLOWED to post bail for a questionable charge. Yeah, there is a lot of circumstantial evidence in the situation. But if they were looking to charge him with something and make it stick they seem to have screwed that up. I can't think of anyone I have seen get convicted of GATTTOTP that was not actively threatening someone with a gun. And it usually seems to get tossed for other charges anyway. If this gets tossed and he sues, it will be Asheville that has to pay dearly and the feds that seem to have pushed the issue will not pay a dime.

Oh, and has anyone actually read that he was OC? I understand the officers saw the firearm. But he could have been poorly concealed as well. I have heard nothing for sure on that issue.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Maybe he should have called ahead of time like the radio station that had a black guy open carrying a black rifle at a past presidential appearance.

tom

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4p7QY8lY9Zw

Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    However, those who do prefer open carry should not be surprised or become incredulous when they frighten the sheep and there is sometimes a negative response from the sheep herder (police) when that happens. It's something OC'ers are going to have to deal with from time to time and to act surprised at such a thing happening I think is a bit disingenuous at best.

JMHO.
    This is the very reason I think we need to OC as often as possible or at least as often as you are comfortable and willing to deal with the extra attention. OC is attention getting simply because it is not often seen. If it is seen often enough it will become as accepted as testosterone driven boys and giggling girls driving weapons of mass destruction.
    But yes is should be a given that OC will often generate more attention
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

Quote Originally Posted by Bark'n View Post
    However, those who do prefer open carry should not be surprised or become incredulous when they frighten the sheep and there is sometimes a negative response from the sheep herder (police) when that happens.
    When the LEO and Department is perfectly aware of the legality of the activity in that state, it's hardly unreasonable to be a bit surprised at the continued excitability (and zealotry, in some places, from time to time) that occurs. One would think that good people, making an honorable attempt to enforce the statutes (instead of some scared peoples' misinterpretations of them) would read the memo, understand the training, and appreciate the law in this regard.

Ninety-eight percent of the ugliness could simply be avoided by handling it at the point of the 911 call, allowing that legal and non-threatening activities don't justify heavy-handedness. It's not nervous-nellie-fear enforcement ... it's LAW enforcement. There shouldn't continue to be a question about that, with the folks we hire to help keep crime under control.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Is it a law written explicity giving one permission to carry, or is it that there is just no law prohibiting OC. Is OC a right given by a written law, or simpy one exercised in the absence of a law prohibiting it? Causing a public alarm is a law enforcable by penaltys. There are no rights or privilages that do not have restrictions. My state is either OC or CC. However I prefer to CC. Even in the old west many towns banned the open carry of firearms. Expect to see more negative attention on guns as more idiots like this attemt to make a statement just because they are trying to make some kind of point. Discreetness and common sense would serve us better than an just because I can agenda.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links