My first LEO encounter while open carrying

This is a discussion on My first LEO encounter while open carrying within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; i am driving down a portion of a road under construction, for those of u in indy its the part of keystone up in carmel ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My first LEO encounter while open carrying

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar

Thumbs up My first LEO encounter while open carrying

i am driving down a portion of a road under construction, for those of u in indy its the part of keystone up in carmel by the downtown area

well, they never posted speed signs for about 5 miles of the road, so i assumed it was open highway. i eventually saw a sign and started slowing down, but i noticed a Carmel Police Officer start to pull out. Well, he came up behind me and on came the cherries and berries. I pulled over, I figured I was getting a ticket because i was speeding untill i saw the speed sign, and as we all know ignorance is no defense. He approached my window, and i informed him of my LTCH and that i was carrying openly on my right hip. Instead of immediatley pulling me out of my truck, he simply asked for my id, registration and LTCH. after i handed it to him he asked me what kind of gun i had. i told him and he commented on how it was a nice weapon but he still preferred his glock. he went back to his car and ran my information, when he came back up, he handed me my ID back and issued me a warning for speeding. after that we talked guns and gear for about 15 minutes and then went our seperate ways. All in All, a perfect LEO encounter in my opinion
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

2. Remove Ads

And that, ladies and gentlemen, is how it should go every time.

In Michigan, that is not considered OC, it is considered CC because you are in your vehicle.

I agree...a great stop and a sensible cop!IMHO
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by INccwchris View Post
    ...he commented on how it was a nice weapon but he still preferred his glock.
    Those are fighting words, right there!
    COTEP member and 1911Forum reject

I have not had a bad encounter yet with an LEO. I'm pretty sure it'll stay that way. I even had LEOs look at me yesterday while I was out, and no one stopped. One waved back at me when I waved at her...twice. I made sure to wave with my gun hand, and I was wearing blue jeans and a light gray thermal at the time. I know the weapon was seen.

Nice... I think once they know because you let them it puts them at ease.
    Matthew <><
    Helotes, Texas

Beretta/Stoeger Cougar 8000f -blued, 9mm
    Kel-Tec PF9- 9mm, hard chrome
    Ruger LCP with CT

Why did you feel it necessary to inform the cop you were armed?

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    i had to reach around my weapon to get to my wallet, and i figured it would be easier to inform him so that if he saw it, he didn't think i was going for it. also i believe in indiana, we are required to inform on a traffic stop, can someone please correct me if that is not the case
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

Quote Originally Posted by Treo View Post
    I consider it a good practice to inform the LEO.
    I puts them at ease and may even help get you just a warning.
    Member:USCCA, NRA, GOA, WVCDL
    U.S. Navy vet 1955-1959, USS Dashiell DD 659. Glock 19, Ruger LCP, Ruger .357 Mag.
    When you are at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on.

I puts them at ease and may even help get you just a warning.
    Why does a legally armed citizen constitute a "threat" that requires the officer be put "at ease" How about the cop gives up his gun to put me "at ease"

. I am a supporter of the Second Amendment and a member of the NRA. I am also a veteran Florida law enforcement officer. I do not like surprises when I make a contact on the street. One of my first questions to the operator of a motor vehicle is are there any weapons in the vehicle ? This gets this very important piece of information out of the way early on in the encounter. I have no problem at all with a law abiding citizen having a firearm in their vehicle. Florida is very progressive in the area of personal protection for it's citizens and visitors to the state and contacts with armed vehicle operators is not uncommon for a pro-active officer.I do however want to know where the weapon is and for it to stay in that location until we are finished conducting our business. If it is concealed on or immediately about the person then the CCW is required. Glovebox, center console, in a secured holster in plain view or gun case or gunbag on the front seat good to go. Just my .02.
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

Why does a legally armed citizen constitute a "threat" that requires the officer be put "at ease" How about the cop gives up his gun to put me "at ease"
    Because no one knows others intentions. Alerting him you are armed gives a stronger indication you don't mean harm.
    Knowing is half the battle.

really? b/c cops get shot at during routine traffic stops all the time!
    Its a scary job. Its simple courtesy and if you are carrying openly especially, I think you are dumb to not inform them.
    It would be nice if we lived in a world where everyone carried, and that an LEO seeing a gun caused no alarm, but we don’t! A LEO shouldn’t be pushing his muzzle against your scull b/c he sees you have a gun, he should ask. You should, however, inform him before hand!
    Don't move, keep your hands on the steering wheel, be polite, and inform an LEO that you are a good guy from the start! Put the LEO's mind at ease and make us all look good, please!
    Wo die Notwehr aufhört, fängt der Mord an
    (Murder begins where self-defense ends)
    Georg Büchner

Two good words for this COMMON COURTESY even if you're legally armed and pose no threat.
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links