Just talked with LEO

This is a discussion on Just talked with LEO within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; In Florida it is legal for someone 18 yrs old to own and possess a handgun as per F.S. 790.25. They can be 18 and ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Just talked with LEO

jbs
    In Florida it is legal for someone 18 yrs old to own and possess a handgun as per F.S. 790.25. They can be 18 and buy in a face to face sale from a non dealer. To buy from a dealer, they must be 21 and go through the 3 day wait. No-one without an FFl or by going through an FFL may buy interstate handguns.
    Various sites can be checked to verify all;. The BATFE site is pretty good at spelling it out. You would need to search your own states statutes for legal ownership of a handgun.
    If I need to oil a gun, I go to the beach.
    8040 Couger, P95
    1929 MN 91/30, 1927/28 MN Ex Dragoon, MN M44's, Lots of MN's
    Swiss LG1911 1915 and 1916
    Brazilian VZ-24 JC (2), Brazilian Model 1908
    Spanish M1916

2. Remove Ads

re

1 addition to the above..with a concealed permit there is no waiting period for handguns from dealers - you can buy and walk
    "Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars."

Greatest State in The Union, Pennsylvania
    In Pennsylvania, it is legal to own/possess a handgun at the age of: ready: here it comes:

The moment of birth. There is no transfer between parent/grandparent/child/husband and wife in PA. You can literally give ownership of your gun to your son right after he claws his way out of the womb.

Quote Originally Posted by Jcabin View Post
    In Pennsylvania, it is legal to own/possess a handgun at the age of: ready: here it comes:

The moment of birth. There is no transfer between parent/grandparent/child/husband and wife in PA. You can literally give ownership of your gun to your son right after he claws his way out of the womb.

Dang... Freakin' yanks.... LOL

You would think the southern states would be like that, given our heritage.

Quote Originally Posted by silo View Post
    Randy, check these forums: Missouri - Stories From The States - OpenCarry.org - Discussion Forum

It's a forum full of Missourians who OC. They will know or will be able to tell you where to look.
    Silo...thanks my friend! I appreciate it very much.

Quote Originally Posted by jbs View Post
    In Florida it is legal for someone 18 yrs old to own and possess a handgun as per F.S. 790.25. They can be 18 and buy in a face to face sale from a non dealer. To buy from a dealer, they must be 21 and go through the 3 day wait. No-one without an FFl or by going through an FFL may buy interstate handguns.
    Various sites can be checked to verify all;. The BATFE site is pretty good at spelling it out. You would need to search your own states statutes for legal ownership of a handgun.
    Same thing here in NC.. I know, I had a handgun purchase permit put in my name a month and a half ago on the day I bought my pistol. Best bet is to call your Attorney General's office and see what they say.

Ok, since I've been told I was wrong so far by every poster in the thread, what is the law in MO for transferring handguns?

FFLs must follow the same law in every state, when they sell a gun they must run the background check.

Here in PA however, I can then sell that rifle or shotgun (long arms) to whoever I want, so long as they are not a prohibited person.

Handguns we must transfer at an FFL, unless it is a parent/grandparent/ or child, we can give to them/sell to them without transfering. They must be PA residents of course.
    Lots of states allow private sales with no background check. In NC you still need a Pistol Purchase Permit or CCP for a private sale of a handgun and it subs for the background check, since you get a BG check when you get the PPP or CCP. Although most states also make it illegal to knowingly sell to a prohibited person. So FFL rules are standard but in private sales the state sets the law.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

VIP Member
    I could be wrong but isn't it federal law that handguns MUST be transferred through an FFL dealer, with certain exceptions. Buying from a co-worker is not one of them.
    No,
    Under Federal law GCA, A person may SELL a firearm to an unlicensed resident of HIS state,..... 18 U.S.C. 922, 27 CFR 478.29 and 478.30.
    A person may AQUIRE a firearm under GCA within the persons own State, except that he or she may purchase or otherwise aquire a rifle or shotgun, in person, at a licensee's premises in any State provided the sale complies with State laws applicable in the State of sale and where the purchaser resides..... 18 U.S.C. 922, CFR 428.29, CFR 428.30.
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by randyj View Post
    I live in Independence, Missouri...and I'm considering OC'ing.

I have been reading all the great information here from you very knowledgable folks...and searching on my own to get a firm understanding of MO law..and identifing those cities where it's legal to open carry.

I am about ready to take the plunge....but I felt compelled to call the Indep. Mo. PD to verify the law with them..as well as to engage the officer in some brief discussion concerning OC.

Overall, the LEO was "somewhat" supportive of OC, however he did say that I would need to register my gun in my name.

I politely told him that it was my understanding that registration of the handgun was not necessary under the law. I purchased the gun from a co-worker...so, 1) no bill of sale required 2) no permit to purchase required, 3) no background check needed, 4) no registration required.

Do I understand everything correctly?

Also...is there anywhere online where I can find a "Mo. OC card" that summarizes Missouri OC/CC laws...so I can had them out to those concerned citizens I most likely will run into?

Thanks for all of your help.....
    1. There is NO gun registration in Missouri. RSMO 21.750 preemption is statewide with the exception of open carry in some cities and counties. RSMO 571.010 and RSMO 571.070 was repealed 8/13/1988. The LEO was misinformed or just blowing smoke.

2. Transfer of a firearm between private individuals is legal under Federal law provided the sale complies with State law and provided the buyer is not prohibited from receiving or possessing firearms under Federal law. In Missouri, the seller must be at least 18 years old. The buyer must be at least 18 years old. There are a few exceptions to this. You can't sell a firearm to an intoxicated person, etc. See RSMO 571.060.

3. There is no quick reference to Open Carry in Missouri. Open Carry.org has compiled some information although information on this website can not be presumed to be totally accurate and is not necessarily law.

4. You should be aware that while it is legal to sell or acquire a firearm at the age of 18, you must be at least 21 to conceal a firearm in a vehicle. see RSMO 571.030. The castle doctrine is a little vague however I believe it is legal for you to Open Carry in a vehicle at 18 in Missouri.

5. I am POSITIVE that you will be STOPPED by law enforcement in some cities and counties should you attempt to carry open on a public street or alley or in a city park. You may be asked for identification in the form of an DL or Missouri Non-DL ID. This does not mean that you will be detained nor does it mean that you will be arrested.

6. Stay away from schools or any other buildings, Federal, State or private where No Firearms signs are posted or otherwise stated in Missouri Statutes.
    Last edited by SIGP250; April 30th, 2010 at 07:25 AM.
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

VIP Member
    Ok, since I've been told I was wrong so far by every poster in the thread, what is the law in MO for transferring handguns?

FFLs must follow the same law in every state, when they sell a gun they must run the background check.

Here in PA however, I can then sell that rifle or shotgun (long arms) to whoever I want, so long as they are not a prohibited person.

Handguns we must transfer at an FFL, unless it is a parent/grandparent/ or child, we can give to them/sell to them without transferring. They must be PA residents of course.
    Yes and No. FFL's should know the laws that pertain to their state.
    They should be familiar with all State laws but it is not required under Federal law.

There are presently over 65,000 Licensed 01-FFL's in the USA. Some are what may be described as hobbyist FFL's. Although it is somewhat frowned upon by BATFE, it is legal. Most of this category of FFL buys and sells mainly for himself and has no incentive or obligation to know any State law other that the State he resides and conducts business in.

Federal laws, namely the Gun Control Act, NICS procedure, the Brady Bill and an understanding of NFA regulations is what all FFL's are regulated by. State firearms codes or statutes may refine broad based Federal laws to define transfer,carry, possession, penalties, etc. for their state.

It is actually your responsibility to understand the firearm and weapon and sometimes ammunitions laws or regulations that pertain to your state. You can obtain this information from your State attorney general office, your local sheriff or POE, and usually from most local FFL's. Unless you plan to own an NFA weapon such as a class 3 Machine gun, armor piercing ammunition, a silencer or explosives, you generally will not need to contact BATFE.
    - Zen Saying

Here's a source of info for you... Concealed Carry Info, Maps, Firearm Forums & Community for Permit Holders
    Use the two maps in the upper left.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links