Just talked with LEO

Just talked with LEO

This is a discussion on Just talked with LEO within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I live in Independence, Missouri...and I'm considering OC'ing. I have been reading all the great information here from you very knowledgable folks...and searching on my ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just talked with LEO

Just talked with LEO

I live in Independence, Missouri...and I'm considering OC'ing.

I have been reading all the great information here from you very knowledgable folks...and searching on my own to get a firm understanding of MO law..and identifing those cities where it's legal to open carry.

I am about ready to take the plunge....but I felt compelled to call the Indep. Mo. PD to verify the law with them..as well as to engage the officer in some brief discussion concerning OC.

Overall, the LEO was "somewhat" supportive of OC, however he did say that I would need to register my gun in my name.

I politely told him that it was my understanding that registration of the handgun was not necessary under the law. I purchased the gun from a co-worker...so, 1) no bill of sale required 2) no permit to purchase required, 3) no background check needed, 4) no registration required.

Do I understand everything correctly?

Also...is there anywhere online where I can find a "Mo. OC card" that summarizes Missouri OC/CC laws...so I can had them out to those concerned citizens I most likely will run into?

Thanks for all of your help.....

Calling a cop for legal advice is like a chicken asking Col. Sanders for retirement advice.

Call a lawyer

Greatest State in The Union, Pennsylvania
    I could be wrong but isn't it federal law that handguns MUST be transferred through an FFL dealer, with certain exceptions. Buying from a co-worker is not one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Treo View Post
    Calling a cop for legal advice is like a chicken asking Col. Sanders for retirement advice.

Call a lawyer
    Well....I wasn't calling for advice, rather confirmation of the law. But your point is well taken.

Quote Originally Posted by Jcabin View Post
    I could be wrong but isn't it federal law that handguns MUST be transferred through an FFL dealer, with certain exceptions. Buying from a co-worker is not one of them.

You are

Distinguished Member Array Pro2A's Avatar
    My understanding is MO is a checkerboard of ordinances when it comes to OC. I would err on the side of caution.

VIP Member
    You are
    What he said. Very wrong.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by sigmanluke View Post
    What he said. Very wrong.
    You're right.

Greatest State in The Union, Pennsylvania
    Ok, since I've been told I was wrong so far by every poster in the thread, what is the law in MO for transferring handguns?

FFLs must follow the same law in every state, when they sell a gun they must run the background check.

Here in PA however, I can then sell that rifle or shotgun (long arms) to whoever I want, so long as they are not a prohibited person.

Handguns we must transfer at an FFL, unless it is a parent/grandparent/ or child, we can give to them/sell to them without transfering. They must be PA residents of course.

Ok, since I've been told I was wrong so far by every poster in the thread, what is the law in MO for transferring handguns?

FFLs must follow the same law in every state, when they sell a gun they must run the background check.

Here in PA however, I can then sell that rifle or shotgun (long arms) to whoever I want, so long as they are not a prohibited person.

Handguns we must transfer at an FFL, unless it is a parent/grandparent/ or child, we can give to them/sell to them without transfering. They must be PA residents of course.
    This is my understanding, however I am not an attorney nor do I sell firearms.

Federal Law allows a person to transfer or acquire a firearm to or from an unlicensed resident of his/her State, if he/she does not know or have reasonable cause to believe the person is prohibited from receiving or
    possessing firearms. Federal Law sets the age of ownership for a Long Gun at 18 and a Handgun at 21.

Federal Law sets the age of purchase for a Long Gun at 18 and a Handgun at 21.
    An important distinction

An important distinction
    I got it off the internet and you know how that internet thing is. Personally, the way things are today if I was selling a gun to anybody, I would probably contact an attorney just to make sure my butt was covered. It's sad that it has come to that, but that's just the way it is.

jbs
    Quote Originally Posted by Gene83 View Post
    This is my understanding, however I am not an attorney nor do I sell firearms.

Federal Law allows a person to transfer or acquire a firearm to or from an unlicensed resident of his/her State, if he/she does not know or have reasonable cause to believe the person is prohibited from receiving or
    possessing firearms. Federal Law sets the age of ownership for a Long Gun at 18 and a Handgun at 21.
    Handguns may be owned by those 18 years old or older. At least in Florida and I know a few more states for sure.
    Last edited by jbs; April 29th, 2010 at 07:45 PM. Reason: To add last line
    If I need to oil a gun, I go to the beach.
    8040 Couger, P95
    1929 MN 91/30, 1927/28 MN Ex Dragoon, MN M44's, Lots of MN's
    Swiss LG1911 1915 and 1916
    Brazilian VZ-24 JC (2), Brazilian Model 1908
    Spanish M1916

Randy, check these forums: Missouri - Stories From The States - OpenCarry.org - Discussion Forum

It's a forum full of Missourians who OC. They will know or will be able to tell you where to look.

Quote Originally Posted by jbs View Post
    Handguns may be owned by those 18 years old or older. At least in Florida and I know a few more states for sure.
    Like I said in a post after that one, you know how that internet thing is.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links