Defensive Carry banner

Open Carried at Credit Union

4K views 21 replies 19 participants last post by  DaveH 
#1 ·
Open Carried at Credit Union

I open carried at my credit union today. I have been concealed carrying for years there. Today I just didn't feel like un-tucking my shirt and looking like a slob. No one said a word. The teller kept stealing glances at my weapon however - I was carrying in a cross draw position on my left side so my weapon was right up front were he could see it.

#2 ·
Well they didn't call the cops, that's a good sign. You conducted your business and didn't present yourself as a threat. Sounds like you did a service to the 2A community.

#6 ·
Well they didn't call the cops, that's a good sign. You conducted your business and didn't present yourself as a threat. Sounds like you did a service to the 2A community.
And they didn't give you MORE than you asked for...that's good!:hand10:

#4 ·
Yea, I'm not in agreement w/that law, like if someone is gonna rob a bank they are gonna think, "I better not b/c its illegal to bring that gun in there, I will try another weapon, how about a fork or a kitchen knife," Sometimes I think our law makers use knee pads to get there job done!

#17 ·
Hello from NC :bier:

Perhaps the reason for some states like NC not permitting weapons to be carried in the bank is because it allows for the bank employees to not have to make judgment calls.

For example, if CC is legal, and a BG comes in with a CC gun that is printing, the employees have to wait for him to actually pull it out and point it in someone's face before they can react. If CC is not permitted, then as soon as they realize it's there they could press a silent alarm or whatever.

I'm not saying I'm in favor but I'm just pointing out a possible reason for the law.

Also, the bank manager and employees probably keep their own weapons on hand so they don't need to rely on citizens to defend them.

#5 ·
When I lived in Santa Fe, NM I used to OC in my local branch. The armed guard never said a word nor did any of the tellers or anyone else in line but a lot of people did OC then so that might have helped.

Glad it all went well.

#7 ·
I sure hope you didn't start your conversation with the teller by saying, "I'd like to make a withdrawl"!

#10 ·
ArmyCop - I was dressed in my best pair of jeans and a tee shirt. I was on my way home from work. I try to look presentable where ever I go, that is why I didn't want to un-tuck my shirt tail.

Hiram25 - I actually started the transaction by depositing around $600 in checks. I didn't think about the withdrawal business. I did get some cash however.

#11 ·
Well done! The more "non-issue" incidents we can give people to help normalize the practice, the better.
:smoke23:

#13 ·
I've never unarmed before going in to my CU here in Idaho. They have a copy of my DL linked to my account and greet me by name so if i were ever to lose my mind and be an idiot I think the LEOs would beat me home...that is if I got out of the CU.
They have never even given my firearm more than a passing glance.

I use to have a CU account down in CA, and they flipped out when I walked in with an empty holster on my belt. You would have thought that the leather holster was going to go on a rampage and take us all down.

#14 ·
My thoughts are that if the bank has a problem with me carrying then aparrently they also have a problem having all my money in their bank. This would have a domino effect when others I know that carry found out. I think that the bank should thank me for being armed in their place, since for the brief few moments I am there it has become that much safer. Now I am not saying I am trying to be a junior Gman, but I refuse to be a victim anywhere, any time.

#16 ·
I went to my credit union once and as she was processing the transaction she asked me what model/cal it was and if I liked it. Her hubby was looking for a new pistol.

For me...stores = interesting conversations with patrons.
Walking on streets = LEO's approach me... ah well. At least the weather was bad this weekend when I was sick. Hopefully next weekend I can start going OCing on a more regular basis :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.