Walmart and Flea Market Incidents.

This is a discussion on Walmart and Flea Market Incidents. within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Open Carry has come a long way here in PA, alot of other states still need to follow suit. Sometimes that means filing law suits, ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Walmart and Flea Market Incidents.

Greatest State in The Union, Pennsylvania

Walmart and Flea Market Incidents.

Open Carry has come a long way here in PA, alot of other states still need to follow suit. Sometimes that means filing law suits, as it is one of the reasons LE has become so aware of the legalities of open carry in this state.

I was on the way back from allentown, where I had just sold a rifle, when I received the most urgent of calls. So, I pulled in at the walmart in Wilson, next to the regal movie theater. My mission, retreive toilet paper. I pulled in, finished my smoke, and made my approach to the daunting walmart greeter territory. As I was walking towards the entrance, a few walmart employees, who appeared to be of managerial rank, walked outside. A male, and two females. I walked around them, and as I did so, conversation ceased.

I didn't make it 10 feet before I heard the younger female state, "you've got to be kidding me". I then heard the male employee say, "they can do that you know". I didn't stop and continued on my way inside to find my toilet paper, but heard some inaudible chatter from the young female employee, who seemed rather excited in her tone.

I retrieved my stuff, and walked out. There was someone standing there wearing some type of police association clothing, who was taking donations. I passed him on the way in, but didn't really pay any attention to him. As I walked out, the managers were gone, but he remained. I received the most disgusted look I've ever caught for open carrying since I received my LTCF/bought my first gun.

----------------------------------------------------

I was at the flea market yesterday, in saylorsburg, with my girlfriend. I was open carrying, needless to say I guess? We walked around for a little while, I didn't find anything of interest, but my girlfriend found an old 50's era lamp she liked. We decided to head over and grab some of the fries and dump vinegar on them, which is what we always do when we go to the flea market. We're standing in line, I don't think most people noticed, or if they did they didn't stare/didn't care. I know a few other people local to the area that have been open carrying there for a few years now. Anyway, a very large man and his girlfriend walked up to the line. I noticed they spotted my gun from a distance as they approached, as the man pointed right at me. He gets to the line and starts giving me the most foul looks, only to be rivaled by the police association man taking donations at walmart a few days prior. A few minutes later he walks off and gets on his cell phone. I wanted to have a cigarette, and out consideration for the people in line, I stepped out of the line to go have my smoke away from the crowd. I walked to where I was within distance so that I could hear the mans conversation on the cell phone. All I heard was, "it has to be concealed", "yeah, but it's not concealed", "oh, I thought it had to be concealed". He then spotted me and turned his back to me and walked away.

Two incidents within a few days of eachother, that apparently the concerned party was notified that open carry is in fact legal. I thought that was pretty cool, so I had to share it. Here in pennsylvania, there has been a complete overhaul of the standardized annual and progressive training law enforcement receives. The MPOETC, municipal polce officers educational training course, is a state wide training that all LE in the state of PA must pass to continue being a police officer. Due to the efforts of some courageous open carriers over the last few years, it has been changed to reflect the legalities of open carry.
    Last edited by rstickle; May 2nd, 2010 at 07:19 PM. Reason: Language!

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member

Sounds like another jurisdiction has developed a SOP for 911 operators -- to avoid the cost & disruption of dispatching a unit to every MWG call. Good for them.

More need to.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Greatest State in The Union, Pennsylvania
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveH View Post

Sounds like another jurisdiction has developed a SOP for 911 operators -- to avoid the cost & disruption of dispatching a unit to every MWG call. Good for them.

More need to.
    That is what I was wondering. I wish I knew if he had contacted 911.
    He could have called a friend/relative, who is familiar with gun laws.
    He could have called a police officer who he knows, who corrected him.
    Or, he could have called 911, and when they started asking questions:
    What is he doing? Is the gun in his hand? Is he waving it around? Is he threatening people?
    When he responded accordingly with: He is waiting in line to buy food.
    The gun is in a holster. It is not in his hand. He is holding hands with his girlfriend. I think that would be a pretty good indicator to 911 that it is not necessary to dispatch a unit for an MWAG call.

Quote Originally Posted by Jcabin View Post
    We decided to head over and grab some of the fries and dump vinegar on them, which is what we always do when we go to the flea market.
    I've never heard or thought of doing that, I'll have to give it a try.

The rest, well other people are entitled to their opinions, I don't need approval for the shoes I wear, so as long as you aren't doing anything wrong then the few that need to judge you to feel better about themselves probably have bigger issues in their life.

Glad to hear that people are slowly getting an education!

Good job on the part of you all up there in PA!

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by canav844 View Post
    I've never heard or thought of doing that, I'll have to give it a try.
    Standard fare in the UK -- usually malt vinegar.

(BTW -- if you want to try it over there, ask for chips, not FF.

FWIIW, I've been hooked on it for years.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Quote Originally Posted by DaveH View Post
    Standard fare in the UK -- usually malt vinegar.

(BTW -- if you want to try it over there, ask for chips, not FF.

FWIIW, I've been hooked on it for years.
    Fresh cut fries with malt vinegar are the best. I'm originally from northeast Ohio so that is pretty common.
    For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.
    Romans 6:23
    www.Jesus-is-Savior.com
    Fundmental Brodcasting Network
    www.ConsitutionParty.org

I love it when ignorance is publicly outed!

Great stories.
    That which does not kill us leaves us broken and bleeding...

Don’t mess with the guy who can barely stand up. His remaining options for self-defense don't include your survival.

Convenire Volui Spectatus

Very cool. I must say, at the flea market, the look on the guy's face must have been one of perplexity and astonishment at his new found knowledge of the law.

That alone had to be satisfying!

Good story.

-Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

apparently don't know the laws.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

VIP Member
    Though open carry, concealed carry and carrying while dressed as a kangaroo, are all legal methods here in Arizona. However, I still opt for concealed. I do believe a right that isn't exercised is a right that’s eventually taken away.
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

Quote Originally Posted by Romans623 View Post
    Fresh cut fries with malt vinegar are the best.
    You guys are making me hungry! I LOVE malt vinegar on fries or with my fish n "chips". I remember the flea markets when I lived in England...had to have a cone of fries to make the day complete. They did have this stuff called "Brown Sauce" (I know, sounds kinda "crappy") but that stuff with Vinegar was the bees-knees

To the OP...That's so annoying that the flea market guy felt the need to make a phone call.

Distinguished Member Array BlueNinjaGo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jcabin View Post
    He is waiting in line to buy food.
    The gun is in a holster. It is not in his hand. He is holding hands with his girlfriend.
    And SWAT team didn't arrive? Odd...

I'm glad more areas are starting to train their 9-1-1 (if that is who he called) to stop wasting time and money on needless MWAG calls.

fries and dump vinegar on them.......................Oh the Humanity of it all

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links