Oklahoma open carry bill passes House and Senate - On to governor!

This is a discussion on Oklahoma open carry bill passes House and Senate - On to governor! within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; It's good to see more and more states lifting restrictions and understanding the choice is up to the individual... not the people in the state ...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Oklahoma open carry bill passes House and Senate - On to governor!

Distinguished Member Array Pro2A's Avatar
    It's good to see more and more states lifting restrictions and understanding the choice is up to the individual... not the people in the state house.

2. Remove Ads

I think there is enough support in the legislature to override any veto by Gov. Henry. At least I hope so.

One legislator said he did not want there to be 200 folks carrying guns in the Mall. Well, there could be 200 folks carrying in the Mall now and that won't change, just a few of them will carry openly.

A lot of those against the law don't realize that you still have to possess a Concealed Weapon License to carry concealed or openly.

I think the people against open carry think that everyone who can legally carry will suddenly strap a hogleg (their words, not mine) on their hip and march around town.

When the bill is signed into law, it will be a nonevent. Sure some will carry openly, but most won't. We just won't have to worry about breaking the concealment part of the present law.

A extra part of the bill allows judges who sit on the State Supreme Court and the Appeals Court, who are not allowed to carry in the state buildings, to carry in their offices and courtrooms. I have a friend who is a Supreme Court Justice and would not like to see him hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by Ssmo View Post
    And a lot of people are allowed to drive and Im scared &*()less every day!

And I do know Wal Mart forbids employee carry. I was talking about after work....
    Walmart forbids employees to have weapons in their vehicles as well. Granted Oklahoma has a parking lot law, but as employment is at will, they can and most likely will find some excuse to fire you.
    A 1911 is Not an obsession, it's simply a recognition that it's THE Gun. :-) All others are runner ups. And hey, if all else fails, aim for the nose and fling it to knock out your foe. Let's see y'all do that with a kel-Tec. ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by automatic slim View Post
    In New Mexico we have had open carry since 1912. Tourism is great and gets better every year. Open carry has never been a problem in any way. If you open carry, people just assume you're a cop.

Funny.. In all the years I have lived here in New Mexico I have never even seen anything about carrying a gun on the news or anything... I think people worry about something that just isn't worth worrying about.

And you don't even need a permit here for it!

Guys, please email or call Gov. Henry's office and express your support for this bill.

Governor Brad Henry
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Quote Originally Posted by paaiyan View Post
    Guys, please email or call Gov. Henry's office and express your support for this bill.

Governor Brad Henry

I know I saw it somewhere but cant find it now...Bill #?

Hb 3354
    Last edited by paaiyan; May 10th, 2010 at 06:03 PM. Reason: Typo
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

I suspect our governor will just not sign it rather than veto it. Not signing it has the same effect as a veto if I recall correctly from my Oklahoma history in high school. I think they call it a "pocket veto", but, I could be wrong.

m c

I don't think he can pocket veto. The legislative session doesn't end until May 28 and if he doesn't act by 5 days after it's presented it becomes law, according to the Oklahoma Constitution. It was actually officially sent to the Gov. on the 11th due to some sort of delay, so if he doesn't act on it by the 16th it becomes law.

That's how it seems to me at least.

5/4/2010 #@s H 1504 Measure passed: Ayes: 74 Nays: 24
    5/4/2010 #@s H 1504 Notice served to reconsider vote by Representative Duncan
    5/10/2010 #@s H 1547 Motion expired
    5/10/2010 #@s H 1547 Referred for enrollment
    5/11/2010 #@s H 1551 Enrolled, signed, to Senate
    5/11/2010 #@s S Enrolled measure signed, returned to House
    5/11/2010 #@s H 1557 Sent to Governor
    My blog

Whew! That's really good news! I was applying/confusing the federal "pocket veto" process with Oklahoma's process. I sure hope you are correct.

m c

Quote Originally Posted by paaiyan View Post
    I don't think he can pocket veto. The legislative session doesn't end until May 28 and if he doesn't act by 5 days after it's presented it becomes law, according to the Oklahoma Constitution. It was actually officially sent to the Gov. on the 11th due to some sort of delay, so if he doesn't act on it by the 16th it becomes law.

That's how it seems to me at least.

You are correct....unless it's within last 5 days of session not signing will cause it to become law.

How a bill becomes a law in OK

Smile

I live in Indiana, but visit my son and daughter-in-law and three grandchildren in Tulsa several times a year and didn't carry because of the stupid flash and print clause. I have a retired LEO national carry permit and usually use a fanny pack so I can carry non firearms related items also.

Our fine Gov. Henry just vetoed the open carry bill. Hopefully the sponsors will try to overide his veto. The vote in the house and senate should allow an overide, since it did not have the emergency clause and only needs a two thirds vote rather than a three fourths.

Next year will be a better year, since the election will take place in November and Henry cannot run again.

Quote Originally Posted by Rabbitcreek View Post
    Our fine Gov. Henry just vetoed the open carry bill. Hopefully the sponsors will try to overide his veto. The vote in the house and senate should allow an overide, since it did not have the emergency clause and only needs a two thirds vote rather than a three fourths.

Next year will be a better year, since the election will take place in November and Henry cannot run again.
    On first glance it would appear the votes needed are there. One must take into account though that some who voted to pass this bill only voted that way because they knew the Governor would veto it. I would be interested to see how many change their vote if there is an over ride attempt.

Michael

Henry has also been a real PITA on tax law issues too - he declaims he can change the laws merely because he does not like the laws.................

It is time to throw him out!

I hope the legislators override the veto!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links