Oklahoma open carry bill passes House and Senate - On to governor!

This is a discussion on Oklahoma open carry bill passes House and Senate - On to governor! within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by mlr1m On first glance it would appear the votes needed are there. One must take into account though that some who voted ...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Oklahoma open carry bill passes House and Senate - On to governor!

Quote Originally Posted by mlr1m View Post
    On first glance it would appear the votes needed are there. One must take into account though that some who voted to pass this bill only voted that way because they knew the Governor would veto it. I would be interested to see how many change their vote if there is an over ride attempt.

Michael
    I'd be interested to see if they ever bring it back up for an override vote. It's not automatic right? Someone has to cause it to happen?

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Rock and Glock View Post
    Henry has also been a real PITA on tax law issues too - he declaims he can change the laws merely because he does not like the laws.................

It is time to throw him out!

I hope the legislators override the veto!
    He is term limited out and cannot run again in the general election this year, so he only has this legislative session to complete.

Quote Originally Posted by mrjam2jab View Post
    I'd be interested to see if they ever bring it back up for an override vote. It's not automatic right? Someone has to cause it to happen?
    A try for a veto overturn in not automatic. Usually the bill sponsors will try for an overturn if they think they have the votes. They have already overturned a veto on abortion legislation this year.

I hope they will try to overturn the veto.

I think it was the "safest" course of action HE could take...but not necessarily the "safest" for the law-abiding citizens who are in possession of a SDA l(CCW) icense who would like to see this passed. If it gets overturned by the legislature, and becomes legal, no one can point a finger at Governor Henry.

I agree, Henry has been Bad for Oklahoma ever since he's been in office. Time for someone new...........

GM
    That was great. Congrats Oklahoma
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

So it looks like the veto override failed. This is surprising because it passed the house and senate both with veto-proof majorities. Several representatives either did not vote the second time around or changed their votes!

Check my blog link below for a list of those reps if you guys would like to email and/or call them.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

This is a copy of part of the email I received from Russ Cook, who got together the petition to promote passage of the Open Carry bill.

The party line is that these guys changed their vote because their constituents were against the bill. I think they just voted yes because they knew Henry would veto the bill. Now, when it comes down to it, they are going to come out of their cover and voted against the veto overturn. If your rep is on this list, call or email the rep. I think there will be one more attempt to overturn the veto.

I just realized that paaiyan had this list on his blog, so I deleted the list. Go to his blog for the list.

Quote Originally Posted by mr chievous View Post
    I suspect our governor will just not sign it rather than veto it. Not signing it has the same effect as a veto if I recall correctly from my Oklahoma history in high school. I think they call it a "pocket veto", but, I could be wrong.

m c
    Here, if a Govenor does not sign it or veto it, after 10 days it automatically becomes the law once it is published, which is normally within 7 days.

Does this apply to non-Okla residents with licenses from states in which they are reciprocal ? Or, like some have pointed out in other threads, the license is good only for the intended purpose of their state ? In other words, if it's a CC license you can only CC there too.

At one time OK had a very good open carry law: It went away when concealed carry was passed as a revenue measure.

It is obvious that this bill will not pass until next year. I say we bombard our representatives to further strengthen our carry law when it is introduced next session. We need to emulate Missouri's carry law in addition to allowing open carry. The main thing I am interested in adding is that for persons with a CWP, it shall not be a criminal act to carry in any posted or prohibited place. With any luck, Randy Brogden will be the gov. and this could have a good chance of passing as he introduced the current bill we are trying to pass. It would be sweet justice to have the outgoing gov. veto a bill only to have it replaced with a stronger bill next session.
    The Second Amendment ...... Because crime SHOULD be a hazardous occupation.

If you want to piss off a conservative, lie to him.
    If you want to piss off a liberal, tell him the truth.

Well Farmer as the current law is written it's not a crime to carry in posted places unless they are specifically prohibited like schools and government buildings. Just because it has a sign doesn't make it illegal to carry there.

But I do agree, we need to not let them forget about this. I started by writing an open letter, sending it to all reps who changed their votes or didn't vote on the bill to override the veto and posting it on my site (link below). And I also agree, let's get a decent governor this time around.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Quote Originally Posted by paaiyan View Post
    So it looks like the veto override failed. This is surprising because it passed the house and senate both with veto-proof majorities. Several representatives either did not vote the second time around or changed their votes!

Check my blog link below for a list of those reps if you guys would like to email and/or call them.
    Why are you surprised by this? Many of our legislators voted for this exactly because they knew it would be vetoed. They knew this and took the safe route with their voters. They can now claim that they are pro gun. They will be remembered for voting for this issue while the failed over ride will be forgotten.

Michael

Quote Originally Posted by paaiyan View Post
    Well Farmer as the current law is written it's not a crime to carry in posted places unless they are specifically prohibited like schools and government buildings. Just because it has a sign doesn't make it illegal to carry there.

But I do agree, we need to not let them forget about this. I started by writing an open letter, sending it to all reps who changed their votes or didn't vote on the bill to override the veto and posting it on my site (link below). And I also agree, let's get a decent governor this time around.
    TITLE 21 § 1290.22. Business owner’s rights
    BUSINESS OWNER’S RIGHTS
    A. Except as provided in subsection B of this section, nothing contained in
    any provision of the Oklahoma Self-Defense Act, Section 1290.1 et
    seq. of this title, shall be construed to limit, restrict or prohibit in any
    manner the existing rights of any person, property owner, tenant,
    employer, or business entity to control the possession of weapons on
    any property owned or controlled by the person or business entity.

B. No person, property owner, tenant, employer, or business entity shall
    be permitted to establish any policy or rule that has the effect of
    prohibiting any person, except a convicted felon, from transporting and
    storing firearms in a locked vehicle on any property set aside for any
    vehicle.

The sentence that is in bold is what makes our law more vague than other states. We need to eliminate this gray area buy adding the words "shall not be a criminal act". You may be right that we can ignore the signs but a prosecutor could use the above statute to charge you with a crime if they are so inclined. I really think we need to push hard to add this to the Firearms Freedom Act.
    The Second Amendment ...... Because crime SHOULD be a hazardous occupation.

If you want to piss off a conservative, lie to him.
    If you want to piss off a liberal, tell him the truth.

I certainly won't forget who voted against the bill. And I know some of them personally.

The thing is Farmer, what crime could they charge us with?
    My blog

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links