Oklahoma open carry bill passes House and Senate - On to governor! - Page 5

Oklahoma open carry bill passes House and Senate - On to governor!

This is a discussion on Oklahoma open carry bill passes House and Senate - On to governor! within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Eagleks Here, if a Govenor does not sign it or veto it, after 10 days it automatically becomes the law once it ...

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Oklahoma open carry bill passes House and Senate - On to governor!

Quote Originally Posted by Eagleks View Post
    Here, if a Govenor does not sign it or veto it, after 10 days it automatically becomes the law once it is published, which is normally within 7 days.

Does this apply to non-Okla residents with licenses from states in which they are reciprocal ? Or, like some have pointed out in other threads, the license is good only for the intended purpose of their state ? In other words, if it's a CC license you can only CC there too.
    The law in the state you're in is what counts. An OK CCW is good for open carry in states that allow it.
    "The right of the whole people, old and young, men, women and boys, and not militia only, to keep and bear arms of every description, not such merely as are used by the militia, shall not be infringed, curtailed, or broken in upon, in the smallest degree..."
    Nunn v. State GA 1848

Quote Originally Posted by mlr1m View Post
    Why are you surprised by this? Many of our legislators voted for this exactly because they knew it would be vetoed. They knew this and took the safe route with their voters. They can now claim that they are pro gun. They will be remembered for voting for this issue while the failed over ride will be forgotten.

Michael
    I wish the laws were different so that a veto-proof vote would automatically become law instead of providing cover to weasels who want 2A credibility but won't stand up for it when push comes to shove.
    "The right of the whole people, old and young, men, women and boys, and not militia only, to keep and bear arms of every description, not such merely as are used by the militia, shall not be infringed, curtailed, or broken in upon, in the smallest degree..."
    Nunn v. State GA 1848

Quote Originally Posted by paaiyan View Post
    The thing is Farmer, what crime could they charge us with?
    I would suspect that they could charge you with some form of trespass. It would be akin to walking past a no trespassing sign and if the owner saw you there, you would be charged with trespassing. The gun buster is effectively saying, "If you carry, you are not welcome here". In most other states the law states that you can be charged with trespassing if you refuse to leave after being discovered. Oklahoma's vague carry law leaves me to think that you could be charged with trespassing by simply ignoring the sign and you would not have the option to leave to avoid charges. I think it could be treated in the same manner as normal trespassing. I tend to think most Oklahoma prosecutors and lawmen would not book you for this offense but you never know. The law just needs to be clarified and strengthened.
    The Second Amendment ...... Because crime SHOULD be a hazardous occupation.

If you want to piss off a conservative, lie to him.
    If you want to piss off a liberal, tell him the truth.

I've been lead to believe by instructors that you can only be charged if you don't leave. Basically the way it's worded gives it the same legal weight as establishments banning smoking for instance. Can you be arrested for smoking there? No. You're breaking their rules, not the law. But you can be charged with trespassing if they ask you to stop/leave and you don't.

Same thing with carrying a gun is what I'm told. You only get in trouble if you get caught and don't leave when asked. Thing is, the penalties for getting caught are probably worse than the trespassing charges. Your gun being visible can result in the loss of your license I believe.

So the moral is don't get caught.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Links