Oklahoma open carry bill passes House and Senate - On to governor!

This is a discussion on Oklahoma open carry bill passes House and Senate - On to governor! within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Oklahoma House Sends Open Carry Bill to Governor - News9.com - Oklahoma City, OK - News, Weather, Video and Sports | Oklahoma House Sends Open ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Oklahoma open carry bill passes House and Senate - On to governor!

Oklahoma open carry bill passes House and Senate - On to governor!

Oklahoma House Sends Open Carry Bill to Governor - News9.com - Oklahoma City, OK - News, Weather, Video and Sports |

Oklahoma House Sends Open Carry Bill to Governor
    Posted: May 04, 2010 12:24 PM CDT Updated: May 04, 2010 4:50 PM CDT

Associated Press

OKLAHOMA CITY -- Oklahomans soon may have the right to openly carry guns in public after the House voted overwhelmingly Tuesday to allow the practice.

The House voted 74-24 for the bill giving the estimated 97,000 Oklahoma residents with a concealed-carry permit the right to carry firearms openly. The measure has already passed the Senate and heads to Democratic Gov. Brad Henry, who has not indicated whether he will sign it.

The requirements for obtaining a gun license, including a background check and completion of a firearms training course, remain unchanged.

The bill's author in the House, Rep. Rex Duncan, R-Sand Springs, said the open carry of firearms will deter violence.

"A criminal is far less likely to attack once he sees a citizen is armed," said Duncan, a former prosecutor. "A criminal is far less likely to attack once he sees a citizen is armed."

But several House members expressed concern that people carrying weapons would intimidate others who weren't.

"What scares me is that we're trying to promote tourism in Oklahoma," said Rep. Paul Roan, D-Tishomingo, a retired state trooper. "How many people are going to want to come to a state where people are walking through downtown Oklahoma City with a pearl-handled six-shooter on their hip?"

Some Republicans who opposed the measure said it would put businesses in the awkward position of banning firearms altogether because they wouldn't want people openly carrying weapons into their establishments.

"Businesses that are privately owned will not want people coming in with guns on their hips," said Rep. Pam Peterson, R-Tulsa.

Ten other states allow residents with handgun permits to openly carry firearms, according to the National Conference on State Legislatures. In Montana, citizens can openly carry a handgun without a permit.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

2. Remove Ads

I feel this will be a good thing for my state.....I am pleased the vote passed.

O.M.G.! Don't you all know that the streets will run red with the blood of the innocents! Think of the children! People might see your guns!!!

Kidding aside, that's great news!
    Kahr CW9
    Sig P239/9mm
    Ruger LC9 (when the girlfriend lets me carry her gun)

"First Duty is To Remember"

Quote Originally Posted by Gun Bunny View Post
    O.M.G.! Don't you all know that the streets will run red with the blood of the innocents! Think of the children! People might see your guns!!!

Kidding aside, that's great news!
    Ha-ha, the TERROR!

Sure, I move out of the state and then this happens!

Congratulations if it is signed into law.

Oklahoma...
    Great idea, not so much to be able to OC, just not having to worry about unintended exposure.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Exactly Retsupt. I'll OC for a few days after we can just because I can, but for the most part it'll just be nice to not have to worry so much about printing or flashing.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Excellent! Congratulations Oklahoma!
    NRA Member

"I like a man who grins when he fights."
    ~Winston Churchill

Outstanding.
    NRA PATRON LIFE
    BROWN WATER NAVY

Step in the right direction!

Am I understanding it correctly though, still permit holders only?

Distinguished Member Array Spec's Avatar
    Good.... More guns in law abiding citizens hands = less violent crime. Whether those guns are OC or CC.....
    NRA Certified Rifle/Pistol Instructor
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G18CFw0lnD8

Accuracy ALWAYS WINS! So carry what you can hit with.

If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics stink.

Some Republicans who opposed the measure said it would put businesses in the awkward position of banning firearms altogether because they wouldn't want people openly carrying weapons into their establishments.

"Businesses that are privately owned will not want people coming in with guns on their hips," said Rep. Pam Peterson, R-Tulsa.
    This Rep. like many others in politics doesn't understand that those business owners can prohibit people from entering if they so desire. They do not need the government to do it for them.

Michael

Question Silly question...

…or maybe not, but will this also apply to out of state permit holders visiting Oklahoma?
    WA is an OC permissible state and while I typically CC there are times, due to our lovely weather that what starts out as CC because of a jacket or overshirt becomes OC as the day gets warmer. I have family in OK and when (thinking positive thoughts here ...) this passes it will make visiting them in warm weather (translation: blistering hot OK summer) a lot more comfortable!
    Manicures: $40
    Pedicures: $60
    Range time + ammo: $50
    Quality mother/daughter time: PRICELESS

They already are, just cc. dummy
    Wo die Notwehr aufhört, fängt der Mord an
    (Murder begins where self-defense ends)
    Georg Büchner

VIP Member
    Oklahoma is OK

Congratulations

Ya'll have a GOOD gun show in Tulsa (Wannamachers). Three of us went to it a couple of years ago and bought several long guns. We didn't want to keep them overnight in our SUV in the parking lot, so we just carried them right inside the lobby of a nice hotel (can't remember the name)

As we were approaching the door, carrying our rifles, a little ole lady was coming out. I got the door and opened it for her to let her step through. You should have seen her eyes as she paused and looked at us ! I nodded, grinned and asked her "how you doin' ma'am". She sort of nodded and went on about her business outside.

I don't think she was from OK, but I would have liked to hear her relate her story to friends back home.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Distinguished Member Array ErnieNWillis's Avatar
    Good for Oklahoma. I sure hope the Texas Legistature is paying attention.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links