CVS drugstore is anti-gun

This is a discussion on CVS drugstore is anti-gun within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I made a quick trip to CVS yesterday to purchase some deodorant. I was open carrying. Not in the store five minutes, I was approached ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: CVS drugstore is anti-gun

I made a quick trip to CVS yesterday to purchase some deodorant. I was open carrying. Not in the store five minutes, I was approached by a sherriffs deputy who was working as security in the store. He asked me did I have a badge for my weapon. I asked, "why did I need one?" He replied that the store was "private property". I asked were there any signs posted saying no weapons allowed in the store? His reply was that there wasn't any. I simply stated that there needed to be some posted, and I left. CVS will no longer get my business.

Wow, of all places, VA too. Of course, living in Missouri, I'm not totally aware of all of Virginia's laws, but one would think in an open carry State, a business would have to be posted if they did not allow guns.

Would be interesting to find out if the deputy was out of line. It appears he didn't actually order you out of the store, but it was quite clear to me, you weren't welcome there.

Yup, I sure wouldn't be back.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Distinguished Member Array Pro2A's Avatar
    First off that sounds like the sheriff throwing you out, not CVS. I'd follow up with CVS and this incident. If they called the sheriff, and they have a no guns policy, it's within their rights to do so sign or not (although a sign would be nice). However if CVS has the same policy as most large stores do (we follow state law), then you may be able to file a complaint with the store and corporate. Remember when doing so it's easier to catch flies with honey then with vinegar.

I believe you won't have any case against the sheriffs officers here as they were simply asking you to leave, and my hunch is someone called them to ask you to leave. Officers don't just up and ask someone to leave a private establishment like that.

The deputy was already in the store when I went in. He appeared to just be working as a security guard. He was polite about asking me to leave.

Distinguished Member Array Pro2A's Avatar
    I'd still follow up with corporate and the store manager. I've been thrown out of establishments before only to find out later company policy is what ever state law allows, especially with bigger corporations.

I definitely will be following up. Thanks for the advice.

Administrator
    Support mom and pop drug stores.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Are you in Northern Virginia? I'm in Southwest, and I've never had any issues open carrying down here. Just interested.

I think I would have said, "I'm sorry, is the store posted no weapons? I didn't see any signs, but I may have missed them." If he said no, I'd have said, "Am I being asked to leave? I'll be glad to spend my money elsewhere."

If they ask you to leave, then you are obligated to leave or face tresspassing.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Quote Originally Posted by Pro2A View Post
    Officers don't just up and ask someone to leave a private establishment like that.
    Actually, sometimes they do, and sometimes contrary to law. I've seen a number of accounts of this, both by LEOs in the employ of the business and by LEOs who happen to be in the establishment for personal business. I've even heard of it happening with LEOs out of their jurisdiction, possibly even in another state. When it comes to CC/OC-LEO interactions, don't EVER say something can't or won't happen. I guarantee you there'll be an example where it did.

Regarding signs, in Ohio, (barring some sort of civil rights violation) any business can ask you to leave for carrying a gun or anything else.

Where the signs come in is when it's a non-statutory CPZ. They can ask you to leave, but unless they were properly posted, you've committed neither a crime, nor a civil trespass. The law doesn't expect you to be a mind reader. You lack intent. You only commit a crime if you refuse to leave. In a large percentage of incidents, you will have been asked to leave CONTRARY to corporate or store policy and will have your behind appropriately kissed to induce you to not take your business elsewhere, eg. Starbucks and Walmart.

If it's a statutory CPZ (by the drink liquor serving establishment, etc.), the duty to know lies with YOU. Most of the Class D liquor serving establishments I've seen here do NOT post. That's why when I go to a non-fastfood restaurant for the first time, I leave the gun in the car, since there's often no way to know whether they have a Class D liquor license without either seeing liquor being served or asking them.

awb
    I have never noticed a no guns sign at the local cvs , but i will be sure to look when I get my paper this sunday ... I always carry cc so I may have to get my paper elsewhere.....
    Poverbs 1:33
    whoso harkens unto me shall dwell safely and shall be quiet from fear of evil ..

Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined or determined to commit crimes...
    --Thomas Jefferson

I don't think CVS is anti-gun. The ones I have been in here in OH are not posted, and I carry concealed in the local one all the time. Although OH is an open carry state, I do not do so for a variety of reasons. I think the OPs case may be just an instance of a over zealous LEO rather than corporate policy.
    Live to ride, ride to live. Harley Road King And keep a .45 handy Kimber Custom TLE II

Not sure about Virginia, but here in Arkansas open carry is against law anywhere. The law states concealed carry only and that "no" part of the weapon or holster can be exposed. You can print all you want and as long as the weapon is not exposed you're good to go.

I'm sure I would never open carry anyway, I like folks not knowing I'm packing.
    Last edited by tawcat; May 6th, 2010 at 09:46 AM.

At the very least I'd send a polite letter to management inquiring as to why they no longer want your business.

Also, might want to at least let the rest of us know what region that store is located so we know to stay away if their response is ...less then cordial.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Deanimator View Post
    Actually, sometimes they do, and sometimes contrary to law. I've seen a number of accounts of this, both by LEOs in the employ of the business and by LEOs who happen to be in the establishment for personal business. I've even heard of it happening with LEOs out of their jurisdiction, possibly even in another state. When it comes to CC/OC-LEO interactions, don't EVER say something can't or won't happen. I guarantee you there'll be an example where it did.

Regarding signs, in Ohio, (barring some sort of civil rights violation) any business can ask you to leave for carrying a gun or anything else.

Where the signs come in is when it's a non-statutory CPZ. They can ask you to leave, but unless they were properly posted, you've committed neither a crime, nor a civil trespass. The law doesn't expect you to be a mind reader. You lack intent. You only commit a crime if you refuse to leave. In a large percentage of incidents, you will have been asked to leave CONTRARY to corporate or store policy and will have your behind appropriately kissed to induce you to not take your business elsewhere, eg. Starbucks and Walmart.

If it's a statutory CPZ (by the drink liquor serving establishment, etc.), the duty to know lies with YOU. Most of the Class D liquor serving establishments I've seen here do NOT post. That's why when I go to a non-fastfood restaurant for the first time, I leave the gun in the car, since there's often no way to know whether they have a Class D liquor license without either seeing liquor being served or asking them.
    agreed 100%
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

This travesty occurred in Richmond, VA.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links