hmmmm, i wonder.....

hmmmm, i wonder.....

This is a discussion on hmmmm, i wonder..... within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; As a 19 year old law-abiding citizen with a LTCF in Indiana, I was thinking about this today: I look 23-28 depending on who you ...

Thread: hmmmm, i wonder.....

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar

hmmmm, i wonder.....

As a 19 year old law-abiding citizen with a LTCF in Indiana, I was thinking about this today: I look 23-28 depending on who you ask, do people, especially LEO's, look at someone who is younger looking and baby faced who is open carrying a firearm harder than someone who is in their mid 30's and up? It may seem hypocritical that I keep a closer eye on someone my age who is open carrying or even doing a bad job concealing their carry gun than I do someone who is a bit older. My thought is a younger person would be less safe because they have less experience and I am willing to bet that for the most part 99% of them have nowhere near the training or practice I do at my age. Obviously, someone older who has been carrying longer has more experience and is therefore safer. (most of the time) However there are individuals out there such as myself who have taken numerous marksmanship courses through the military, the NRA, the local LEO's who put on courses and even qualifying to the same standard as Indiana LEO's in order to carry a firearm at work. My question to everyone here is: Do you have a more cautious eye when you see someone who is 18-25 openly carrying a firearm legally than you would someone who is older and more experienced?

Thanks for your input,
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

Happy to respond with a 1-word answer: NO.

I see just as many middle-aged jerks at the range and at large (here in AZ) who give me pause and reason for concern as I do young jerks wearing their caps sideways and shooting their Glocks sideways .

Frankly, it was the mental image of young but responsible-acting guys shooting ARs at the range that pushed me over the edge to get my own ARs. It struck me that these young people (99% guys) were effectively the militia - practicing with arms and ammo bought with their own money, and voluntarily seeking to improve their skill at arms.

So, no - my mental, knee-jerk response to seeing young people (guys) carrying arms openly is not negative. I treat 'em the same as anyone else I see openly carrying... I note it, keep a watchful eye, and look for any adverse reactions among the sheep nearby. Most of the time my thinking is that here are some guys who have taken the time to understand what is legal and who have elected to exercise their right. I also look for signs of immature behavior, but I am rarely disappointed.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Honestly, thats the way i wish i was, but after having a friend who i "knew" carried without a round in the chamber, who says he was in the Army but i found out was discharged for a broken hip, pulled his gun on me when he said something somewhat brainless and i called him out on it jokingly, he quickly found out just how versed i am in takedowns and disarming an assailant. personally after that if i saw him carrying i would be worried, and it kind of left a bad taste in my mouth about people my age carrying
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

Quote Originally Posted by INccwchris View Post
    Honestly, thats the way i wish i was, but after having a friend who i "knew" carried without a round in the chamber, who says he was in the Army but i found out was discharged for a broken hip, pulled his gun on me when he said something somewhat brainless and i called him out on it jokingly, he quickly found out just how versed i am in takedowns and disarming an assailant. personally after that if i saw him carrying i would be worried, and it kind of left a bad taste in my mouth about people my age carrying

Are you serious?! Anyone who would surround themselves with "friends" like that, is obviously not of a level of maturity that you view yourself to be.

And, you state that you knew he carried without a round chambered?! What bearing does that have?! You're lucky you didn't assume wrong! How many "Man accidentally shoots friend" news articles does someone have to read, before they realize that this is exactly how people get killed!

And to even bring such a wreckless event up, in an open forum that promotes responsible gun ownership... is completely careless!

Grow up a little.
    COTEP member and 1911Forum reject

I think INccwchris brings up a point regarding people we know who carry...The people we socialize with are the ones who keep us in check...from this incident, I doubt Chris socializes with this individual as much as he did before. Why? Because this person was reckless with a firearm...and makes us all look bad.

The fact the OP's friend carried unchambered goes to show he (the friend) does not seek additional training or involve himself with responsible gun owners.

People you find here on this forum are also people who can help keep you in check....by posting thoughts, actions, ideas, and techniques...and make us think and prepare before we act.

The fact Chris became a member here (associating with responsible gun owners) and posted his experience (good and bad) shows an act of maturity, and should be encouraged. Hopefully his friend will change his ways..
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Do you have a more cautious eye when you see someone who is 18-25 openly carrying a firearm legally than you would someone who is older and more experienced?

Thanks for your input,
    Honestly, I my first concern is always the behavior. You go about your business professionally, and I don't care how old you're or appear to be. I've see enough old jerks to know that mileage does not always count.

On the other hand, plenty of young people at the range and in the public have made me feel good about the future of Second Amendment in America.

Stay safe.

1: I no longer associate with that person
    2: Do quotation marks around a word not mean sarcasm anymore?
    3: I stated that "personally after that if i saw him carrying i would be worried, and it kind of left a bad taste in my mouth about people my age carrying"
    5: I also realize i should have been more clear in stating that i no longer associate myself with him, that is partially on me, but i was deeply offended that you would think i do not have the common sense to stay away from a person who has shown me that they are unsafe

1: I no longer associate with that person
    2: Do quotation marks around a word not mean sarcasm anymore?
    3: I stated that "personally after that if i saw him carrying i would be worried, and it kind of left a bad taste in my mouth about people my age carrying"
    5: I also realize i should have been more clear in stating that i no longer associate myself with him, that is partially on me, but i was deeply offended that you would think i do not have the common sense to stay away from a person who has shown me that they are unsafe
    I think you handled the situation well. At the point your former friend showed himself to be untrustworthy you cut ties. What more could you have done.

In response to your initial question, I just try to keep my SA up all the time although age and manner of dress can certainly ramp it up a notch.

...he quickly found out just how versed i am in takedowns and disarming an assailant.
    When i hear this ^^ from someone who calls himself a "security officer"...

I think... malll ninja. But thats just me, sorry if I jump to conclusions. No offense needed to be taken, there's just something about noting your qualification with pepper spay, and "assailant disarming abilities," that doesn't sit very well for portraying CC'ers as "normal people."

YFZ, you have a valid point, just because i can take someone down who is "playing" with his firearm, does not mean I could take down an actual armed assailant, i have a grasp of the tactics to do so, but i am not well versed in it like a LEO or a martial arts instructor would be, I perhaps overstated my qualification, I apologize

i have been OCing for nearly 2 years im 27 but look really young when i shave.....
    S&W M&P40/M&P9c OC rigs
    S&W 640-1 or Sig P238 as a CC rig
    proud www.georgiacarry.org member
    Second Amendment Foundation Life member

Quote Originally Posted by rmodel65 View Post
    i have been OCing for nearly 2 years im 27 but look really young when i shave.....
    For the past couple years, i have kept a 4 or 5 day shadow going, for that very reason.

I grew up on a different planet than we live on now. It was called "Earth", and guns weren't necessarily a "bad" thing.

I can remember wearing a handgun while riding a 3-wheeler ATV before I had a driver's license, and I got my driver's license the day I turned 16.

I didn't realise then how amazing it was there that no one really cared about the handgun.

I must be getting older now though, because I don't remember how I got to this other place where guns are evil, and young people with guns are considered worse. I grew up shooting coyotes and other varmints, and I was pretty good at it too. I could out-shoot a lot of adults then.

I just wish I could remember how I got here, so that maybe I could find my way back to that other place.

Daryl

Yea, a gun-friendly America would be nice, I was OC'ing with a very good female friend of mine named katie and she said she was glad i carried because she felt safer, and i said thats why i do. If only the rest of my female friends were like her and my other friend dezzi, then i would be A-ok, but untill then, i guess i have to CC

Links