OC explanation

This is a discussion on OC explanation within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hi, guys. I'm new to this part of the forum. I'm struggling with open carry in general. In this stage of our fight for our ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: OC explanation

OC explanation

Hi, guys. I'm new to this part of the forum. I'm struggling with open carry in general. In this stage of our fight for our rights and freedom does open carry and demonstrations turn people off to our cause. I don't know how you would demonstrate with concealed carry unless everyone concealed carry and then carried a sign saying 'I'm carry a concealed weapon." I'm in one of the oppressed states, Illinois, so I'm trying to understand this issue. Is there a belief that we should/can all walk around with OC?
    Please help a rookie understand?

2. Remove Ads

Without getting into a forum rules violation, the answer is absolutely YES/NO/MAYBE. People have different reactions to seeing someone exercise their right to bear arms.
    ‎An enemy of liberty is no friend of mine. I do not owe respect to anyone who would enslave me by government force, nor is it wise for such a person to expect it. -- Isaiah Amberay

The carrying of a weapon should not be for the purposes of demonstrating or making a statement. OC and CC is a hot bed topic in this place. I personally never OC, and prefer not to be noticed. On the other hand, there are people who OC because either they are not allowed to CC, or think they are advancing the cause of gun ownership by walking around in public placing carrying a weapon openly or both. I prefer the discreet approach and element of suprise. Which ever you choose, you will do more for gun ownership by conducting yourself in a manner that people respect.

Could not agree more with you
    The fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom: Psalm 111:10

Distinguished Member Array Pro2A's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jsunsr View Post
    Hi, guys. I'm new to this part of the forum. I'm struggling with open carry in general. In this stage of our fight for our rights and freedom does open carry and demonstrations turn people off to our cause. I don't know how you would demonstrate with concealed carry unless everyone concealed carry and then carried a sign saying 'I'm carry a concealed weapon." I'm in one of the oppressed states, Illinois, so I'm trying to understand this issue. Is there a belief that we should/can all walk around with OC?
    YouTube - ABC Nightline - Open Carry Goes Mainstream

Check that video out... it certainly clears up a lot about OC and why people do it.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnK87 View Post
    Without getting into a forum rules violation, the answer is absolutely YES/NO/MAYBE. People have different reactions to seeing someone exercise their right to bear arms.
    ditto

OP, you might want to check out:

OpenCarry.org - A Right Unexercised is a Right Lost!

Other than saying that I'm staying out of this thread -- see the rules.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Quote Originally Posted by jsunsr View Post
    Does open carry turn people off to our cause? What is our cause anyway? The constitution? If it turns people off that we carry openly, then they are not familiar with the constitution nor are they in tune with the principles this nation was born with. Those who would take offense to you carrying a weapon openly have in essence abandoned or forgotten where we are and what we've been through to become a nation of our own to start with. Does open carry hurt our cause for re-educating mainstream America to what it was and what it should be? No. Open carry opens the eyes of the complacent and those unwilling to accept the facts of who they are and where they come from so long as they feel their inherent association to America in general. IMO....any United States citizen that takes a stand against the 2nd amendment is in effect subject to treason against our nation as a whole (that's the way I see it and it's plain and simple, in black and white by our peers since our country was born out of subjugation). You stand on your principles, or you're subject to the principles of others. Does what other people think about you affect your principles? If it does, then in my opinion.....you have no anchor. Anyone without an anchor is afloat at sea with no direction and in effect is lost. Keep an even keel.

I've heard stories where people have increased the education of the general public when someone sees OC and asks about it, and someone calmly explains that it is legal, and gives people information about where they can learn more.

But everyone reacts differently, and I've heard about equal complaints that people feel the need to voice their negative opinion about someone else's decision to OC.

I'm a neighbor to the north, and OC is the only option here in WI, and even then one must go to unreasonable lengths to carry a small portion of the time outside the home. States that allow both, allow adults to make the personal decision about how they choose to address the responsibility to defend themselves, I'd like to see the day when the country reached that point.

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    My reason for OC is that sometimes during the summer I do get a little warm under a cover garment, and i like to be able to remove the cover garment without getting a brandishing charge. To me, OC is not about putting an agenda out there, it is just simply another convenient way to protect myself and my family without worrying about being charged with a crime in doing so
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

OC is the Right to bear arms...the courts have ruled they can prohibit CC but not restrict OC
    S&W M&P40/M&P9c OC rigs
    S&W 640-1 or Sig P238 as a CC rig
    proud www.georgiacarry.org member
    Second Amendment Foundation Life member

The oppression of the state you live in has your view of the issue a bit skewed. Generally, OC is seen as the direct extension of the right to keep and BEAR arms. Some states go all out and include OC and CC as protected rights. Which, in reality is likely the best reading of the 2A. Other states recognize that OC, at least, is a protected right. The push for CC laws came about, in part, because at one time OC was accepted and CC was for the BG's. How times change. In NC this sums up the take on OC from the State Supreme Court in State v Kerner.

"The Constitution of this state, section 24, art. 1, which is entitled, "Declaration of Rights," provides, "The right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed," adding, "nothing herein contained shall justify the practice of carrying concealed weapons or prevent the Legislature from enacting penal statutes against said practice." This exception indicates the extent to which the right of the people to bear arms can be restricted; that is, the Legislature can prohibit the carrying of concealed weapons but no further. This constitutional guaranty was construed in State v. Speller, 86 N.C. 697, in which it was held that the distinction was between the "right to keep and bear arms" and the "practice of carrying concealed weapons." The former is a sacred right based upon the experience of the ages in order that the people may be accustomed to bear arms and ready to use them for the protection of their liberties or their country when occasion serves. The provision against carrying them concealed was to prevent assassinations or advantages taken by the lawless; i.e., against the abuse of the privilege."

So, in NC at least, OC is the protected inalienable right and CC is the legislated privilege. The funny thing about rights is that people can be turned off all they want, but a right is protected by enumerating it to keep people from stepping all over it without some serious legislative issues. Like opening up the Constitution or Supreme Court action. So, no I don't particularly worry about turning people off to the cause. But I will gladly take the time to talk to someone who is interested in it. FWIW, I have had no negative experiences with the general public while OC'ing. The one negative was with an Asst Mgr, and that got taken care of in favor of OC being lawful.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Does open carry turn people off to our cause?
    I'm sure it turns some people away. Just as when people see someone exercising their rights of free speech when its speech they don't like.

Michael

It may be treading the "line of the forum law", but I'll say this:

Occasionally, I OC to demonstrate to others that they will survive the experience of seeing a loaded firearm on someone's side that isn't an LEO.

Normalcy Enabling Behavior.

That which does not kill us leaves us broken and bleeding...

Donít mess with the guy who can barely stand up. His remaining options for self-defense don't include your survival.

Convenire Volui Spectatus

Quote Originally Posted by DaveH View Post
    ditto

OP, you might want to check out:

OpenCarry.org - A Right Unexercised is a Right Lost!

Other than saying that I'm staying out of this thread -- see the rules.
    Second to DaveH...check out opencarry.org
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Quote Originally Posted by INccwchris View Post
    My reason for OC is that sometimes during the summer I do get a little warm under a cover garment, and i like to be able to remove the cover garment without getting a brandishing charge. To me, OC is not about putting an agenda out there, it is just simply another convenient way to protect myself and my family without worrying about being charged with a crime in doing so
    That works for me.....just another method of carry that gives a little more flexability in how you can dress.
    Manicures: $40
    Pedicures: $60
    Range time + ammo: $50
    Quality mother/daughter time: PRICELESS

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links