OC deters an armed gang of robbers

This is a discussion on OC deters an armed gang of robbers within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I didn't see this posted already.. if it has been ..my bad. Good read on something that is hard to prove. Open carry deters armed ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OC deters an armed gang of robbers

I didn't see this posted already.. if it has been ..my bad.
    Good read on something that is hard to prove.

Open carry deters armed robbery in Kennesaw

Two customers displaying holstered pistols deterred an armed robbery in a Kennesaw Wafflehouse recently.

There is some debate raging in Georgia about whether people should conceal their holstered handguns while in public. Some believe that wearing handguns openly will result in a loss of the element of surprise during a criminal attack, such as an armed robbery, while others believe that wearing handguns openly deters criminal attack. For Matt Brannan and J.P. Mitchell, who carry openly as a routine, the issue is no longer academic.

Matt Brannan and J.P. Mitchell were dining in the Wafflehouse on Barrett Parkway at I-575 in Kennesaw at 4:45 in the morning recently when a scout for an armed robbery crew entered the restaurant to case it. At the time, Matt and J.P. thought he looked a little suspicious, as he was wandering around the small restaurant like he was looking for someone. Unknown to Matt and J.P., two cars full of armed robbers were parked behind the restaurant waiting for the scout's report.

The scout saw that two of the customers were wearing holstered 1911 Springfield Mil-Spec .45 pistols, and he immediately turned and left the store.

Meanwhile, conscientious Cobb County Police Officer D. Lowe had noticed suspicious cars sitting behind the restaurant in the dark and decided to investigate. He caught men with masks and rifles who had been preparing to rob the Wafflehouse. The criminals informed the police that they had changed their mind upon discovering armed customers and were waiting for Matt and J.P. to leave. Ironically, the police car was pulling in to the parking lot just as Matt and J.P. were driving away. In other words, had Matt and J.P. not been armed, the robbery probably would have occurred before the police intervened.

Captain Jerry Quan, the Commander for Precinct One, where the Wafflehouse is located, confirmed Matt Brannan's story as one in which the open display of a pistol deterred a well armed robbery crew.

Matt Brannan is making an Open Records Act request, and there will be an update to this story when more information is available. The case number is 09-133500. There will be updates and follow up articles as more information becomes available.
    GUN CONTROL= I WANT TO BE THE ONE IN CONTROL OF THE GUN

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Saw this story a few months ago.
    I LOVE ME SOME HK's!

RIP Mike, miss you buddy!

Usually a person would have no idea what their presence prevented, if anything. However, this can prove that at least some criminals are deterred by the presence of an armed citizen because they admitted it.

-Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

I read this a while back. In this particular instance, the BGs wanted easy targets because they really did not want to actually use their weapons. The big flaw in the BGs thought process either way is they gave no consideration for citizens who may have been concealed carrying in the WH. If the guys had been CCing, the BGs could have found themselves in a situation they hadn't bargained for. Good thing for everyone that it ended before it ever started.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

The dirtbags could also have noted who had to be shot upon entry...

It is an old story...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by cdwolf View Post
    ...The scout saw that two of the customers were wearing holstered 1911 Springfield Mil-Spec .45 pistols, and he immediately turned and left the store....
    So... they were coordinating their carry guns with each other?!

that's just a little wierd to me
    COTEP member and 1911Forum reject

This story is a great example for the legal and precedent hounds, but...

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post

It is an old story...
    ...that is a good point, too.

Of course, the article says that they waited for the men to leave first.

That which does not kill us leaves us broken and bleeding...

Donít mess with the guy who can barely stand up. His remaining options for self-defense don't include your survival.

Convenire Volui Spectatus

LOL..me too.
    I'm sure that's how he described it to his friends when he went back to the car.
    Most people think open carriers are cops,so if these crooks did, good.
    It takes a whole different mindset to walk in there knowing the patrons are armed and willing to defend themselves.
    They could have walked in the door and shot them both for no reason other then to eliminate witness for all we know.Crazy these days comes in all shapes and sizes.

Who would want to face 2 car loads of rifles coming in to rob the place, and which CC weapon would you want..lol??

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post

It is an old story...
    And your first sentence is an old argument that has been debunked by the complete absence of any documented instances of it happening.

But hey, it could happen...and one could get hit by a meteor as one leaves the house...

Gun Control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound.

-- L. Neil Smith

Distinguished Member Array BlueNinjaGo's Avatar
    http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...nnesaw-ga.html

Here's the link to the thread already going.

Quote Originally Posted by PaxMentis View Post
    And your first sentence is an old argument that has been debunked by the complete absence of any documented instances of it happening.

But hey, it could happen...and one could get hit by a meteor as one leaves the house...

+1. Thanks for saving me the keystrokes...
    2nd Amendment: because personal violence never makes an appointment.
    Evil resides in the heart of the individual, not in inanimate objects.
    Proud Member of GeorgiaCarry.Org

Meteorite Crashes Into Dentist Office - Baltimore News Story - WBAL Baltimore

Just saying...
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Hey...I said it could happen...

Gun Control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound.

-- L. Neil Smith

Hey...I said it could happen...

Now thats funny. What are the chances.

Now find an article where an open carrier was shot first.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links