Ban on 'open carry' of guns progresses - Page 3

Ban on 'open carry' of guns progresses

This is a discussion on Ban on 'open carry' of guns progresses within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by MitchellCT In my opinion, they deserve to loose the unloaded open carry because they managed it so poorly. Originally Posted by MitchellCT ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Ban on 'open carry' of guns progresses

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MitchellCT View Post
    In my opinion, they deserve to loose the unloaded open carry because they managed it so poorly.
    How about not flocking to starbucks for open carry coffee sessions in full view of everyone so they can flaunt "LOOK WE GOT GUNS!!!" in front of the Latte crowd?

Maybe they could have gone about their lives with the ULOC and not tried to be so flagrant about it?

As to being anti gun? I guess if I'm not a kool-aid drinkier I must be anti. Got it. Thanks.
    I did not say YOU are anti, I said that statement is anti.

If I choose to use my first amendment rights to bash the second amendment and all who support it, or openly, publicly bash the current war and all its soldiers, and God forbid, even picket the funerals of the fallen soldiers with signs such as "Thank God for Dead Soldiers". Should I lose lose those rights because some people think I managed those rights poorly? I think not.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

Yeah, look where standing by quietly and playing by the rules got them. Unloaded OC may be better than nothing, but not by much. My guess is they are pushing the issue hard now and waiting on some of the 2A incorporation lawsuits like McDonald v Chicago.

If you don't do something what is the use having the right to?

If you do it, and the legislator try to take the right they show the public who they really are and what they stand for. Have you lost anything as opposed to being too scared to exercise it in the first place?

Personally, I think they are positioning themselves for a legal battle. Calguns seems to be pretty well connected. Several of the gun lawsuits that have recently come about in CA seem to have been taken on pro bono through Calguns and others. Best of luck to them.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Ashamed

Once again I find myself ashamed of my state. However, we only have ourselves to blame.
    "Surely the preservation and enjoyment of the freedoms vouchsafed to us by the Constitution of the United States will require eternal vigilance even to the guarding of it with our lives. We must ever keep faith with our founding fathers by keeping faith with our Constitution."

Quote Originally Posted by r0rtiz View Post
    Once again I find myself ashamed of my state. However, we only have ourselves to blame.
    Not that my home state is any better, but if high taxes and the state being broke because of entitlements and other PC BS isn't enough, this would do it for me. Idaho is lookin pretty sweet.

Quote Originally Posted by Hiram25 View Post
    Oh, crap! They are going to tell me I can't open carry my unloaded weapon! What good is it to start with? They need a complete new line of politicians in California!

Yah, Oh Crap!

Anyway who cares what they do in CA. The majority voted for and got what they wanted. I dont know why people go on with UOC. Its worthless. Move to another state without a massive majority of fools.

How about not flocking to starbucks for open carry coffee sessions in full view of everyone so they can flaunt "LOOK WE GOT GUNS!!!" in front of the Latte crowd?

Maybe they could have gone about their lives with the ULOC and not tried to be so flagrant about it?

As to being anti gun? I guess if I'm not a kool-aid drinkier I must be anti. Got it. Thanks.
    Man I agree with you. I can see the point of OC and do so myself when in a full OC state dont really mess with here in MO much. UOC is worthless and then going to the coffee shop. Oh well do what you want and be happy until the goons take it away!

This is actually funny if you look at it the right way. MitchellCt is saying that we "deserve what we're getting" because we exercised our ability to OC. The basis for that statement apparently is that we shouldn't be doing what we're doing because what we're doing is going to be banned because we're doing it. So, if we don't do it, it won't be banned.

Which in essence is what makes this funny. There's not an "official" ban so we are supposed to ban this "unofficially" amongst ourselves by not participating in order to keep it from being banned so we can't do it.

If you can't do something because that will result in it being banned, then it's ALREADY BANNED by fiat.

BTW, there doesn't seem to be much support for the ban from the general assembly.

Quote Originally Posted by chiefjason View Post
    Yeah, look where standing by quietly and playing by the rules got them. Unloaded OC may be better than nothing, but not by much. My guess is they are pushing the issue hard now and waiting on some of the 2A incorporation lawsuits like McDonald v Chicago.

If you don't do something what is the use having the right to?

If you do it, and the legislator try to take the right they show the public who they really are and what they stand for. Have you lost anything as opposed to being too scared to exercise it in the first place?

Personally, I think they are positioning themselves for a legal battle. Calguns seems to be pretty well connected. Several of the gun lawsuits that have recently come about in CA seem to have been taken on pro bono through Calguns and others. Best of luck to them.
    MacDonald is going to change the landscape for carrying handguns. It will either mean that we don't have any rights or we do.

If we don't then only in those States with a constitutional right to keep & bear arms will firearms be allowed. Other states like California, NY, Illinois, etc., will immediately ban all firearms (even long arms). Which will defeat the whole point to the US Constitution, the 14th, and federalism. Plus it will turn Heller on its head.

If we DO have the RKBA then the carrying of firearms will become "federalized" and every state will have to allow the right to keep & bear arms. At a minimum, this means that the 2A will be incorporated & carry of a firearm will be a right subject to "reasonable regulation." That regulation (in California) CANNOT be that can only carry with a CCW permit because our state constitution provides that we don't need a "permit" to own, or possess a firearm. In order to prohibit carry unless permitted there would have to be a constitutional amendment. Which is very hard to do.

Sorry to hear this..... but when it's Chicago, New York , DC or California... nothing surprises the rest of us anymore when it comes to gun laws.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob P. View Post
    MacDonald is going to change the landscape for carrying handguns. It will either mean that we don't have any rights or we do.

If we don't then only in those States with a constitutional right to keep & bear arms will firearms be allowed. Other states like California, NY, Illinois, etc., will immediately ban all firearms (even long arms). Which will defeat the whole point to the US Constitution, the 14th, and federalism. Plus it will turn Heller on its head.

If we DO have the RKBA then the carrying of firearms will become "federalized" and every state will have to allow the right to keep & bear arms. At a minimum, this means that the 2A will be incorporated & carry of a firearm will be a right subject to "reasonable regulation." That regulation (in California) CANNOT be that can only carry with a CCW permit because our state constitution provides that we don't need a "permit" to own, or possess a firearm. In order to prohibit carry unless permitted there would have to be a constitutional amendment. Which is very hard to do.
    It's surprising that the 2A is basically the only amendment that has been selectively left unincorporated. I think they have a tough fight to prove that it does not apply to the individual citizen through the state when the rest of them do. Unfortunately SCOTUS waited so long to do this that we are likely in the time frame where it will be the most difficult to prove. I think cultural attitudes have changed so that 10-15 yrs ago this would have been a slam dunk, but now it's a bit of a tougher fight.

I still shake my head at most of the arguments anyway. So if only the militia should have guns then maybe they should look up the federal definition of the militia.

311. Militia: composition and classes

(a) The militia of the United States consists of all able-bodied males at least 17 years of age and, except as provided in section 313 of title 32, under 45 years of age who are, or who have made a declaration of intention to become, citizens of the United States and of female citizens of the United States who are members of the National Guard.
    (b) The classes of the militia are—
    (1) the organized militia, which consists of the National Guard and the Naval Militia; and
    (2) the unorganized militia, which consists of the members of the militia who are not members of the National Guard or the Naval Militia.

United States Code: Title 10,311. Militia: composition and classes | LII / Legal Information Institute
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    you know its the unloaded guns that accidentally discharge and kill people, we should ban all unloaded guns and require people only carry loaded ones
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

Like it or not, guns make people nervous.
    I concur. I've always wondered why?

I'm all for people OCing or CCing or not carrying or possessing any kinds of firearms at al, but I do not get the fear or nervousness of guns.

The fact that CCWers have been thoroughly scrutinized and every imaginable excuse used not to issue a permit, should convince any common-sense American that s/he is a good guy.

Polls and orgs like there spew ignorance:

Brady poll: People don?t want guns in Starbucks - Puget Sound Business Journal (Seattle):

People don’t want guns in Starbucks

The Brady Center to Prevent Gun Violence is a Washington, D.C.-based nonprofit that took the survey last month of 600 people. According to the survey, 56 percent of those polled want the Seattle coffee giant to ban guns in the coffee shops, while 31 percent opposed the policy.

Among women, according to the Brady Center survey, 63 percent wanted a “no-guns” policy. In the past, Starbucks said it doesn’t want its employees to have to ask customers who are legally
    carrying guns to leave its stores.

Oh Commiefornia. They just started boycotting Arizona businesses in Los Angeles yesterday or today. But, I started boycotting Commiefornia 5 years ago!
    Move. Shoot. Survive. ― The "Unofficial" Suarez International Doctrine

“The real man smiles in trouble, gathers strength from distress and grows brave by reflection.” ― Thomas Paine

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    The people of California participating in the ULOC demonstrations and parading around can not tell me that they did not see this coming...

If they just ULOC during their daily activities I don't think it would have gotten as much attention. But when individuals started grouping together and making a big deal out of it then other people notice and grow concern because they are either uneducated or have false information provided by anti groups...

It wasn't just the ULOC participants that started grouping together. Once the "concerned" people group together it only takes a little more anti gun propaganda fuel to make it explode into bills to ban this and ban that.
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

Quote Originally Posted by AZ Hawk View Post
    Oh Commiefornia. They just started boycotting Arizona businesses in Los Angeles yesterday or today. But, I started boycotting Commiefornia 5 years ago!
    I started the day I crossed the border to Nevada ten years ago! I'll never buy anything from CA, nor will I visit the godforsaken state.

Plenty of good people there, but they elect their politicians so ...

Distinguished Member Array Spec's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob P. View Post
    What we NEED is a pro-CCW Sheriff to create a "set" where people like this twit congresswoman can be sat down and exposed to "controlled violence" in a staged robbery scene.

Picture this (2 scenarios):

First:

Congresswoman is sitting is "coffeeshop" with 1 other FEMALE patron who is openly carrying. Gangbanger dressed robber comes in, sees OC patron, says "oops" and leaves.

Then:

Congresswoman is sitting in "coffeeshop" with 1 other FEMALE patron, NEITHER of whom are "visibly armed." Gangbanger dressed robber comes in, sees nothing and proceeds to "attack" woman. (And I mean a REAL ATTACK, grabbing hair, pulling her to her knees, etc.) CCW carrier reacts, draws her BLUE firearm, looks at woman and asks: "Would you rather have a gun or a cell phone right now?"

This could possibly be done with a video of the attack part of the scene leaving the congresswoman and the 1 other female patron "safe" from harm during the demonstration. It wouldn't be as scary but could get the point across.

Anyone good at U-tube for this kind of thing? We could make it go viral and CBS could pick it up. Might be great for public awareness.
    I'm game... I've always wanted to do this... ^
    NRA Certified Rifle/Pistol Instructor
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G18CFw0lnD8

Accuracy ALWAYS WINS! So carry what you can hit with.

If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics stink.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links