Ban on 'open carry' of guns progresses

This is a discussion on Ban on 'open carry' of guns progresses within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Ban on 'open carry' of guns progresses - SignOnSanDiego.com Only in California : Unloaded guns could no longer be carried openly under legislation advanced by ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Ban on 'open carry' of guns progresses

Ban on 'open carry' of guns progresses

Ban on 'open carry' of guns progresses - SignOnSanDiego.com

Only in California:

Unloaded guns could no longer be carried openly under legislation advanced by state lawmakers Wednesday.

The measure now goes to the full Assembly floor, where it is expected to face a tough fight.

About a dozen advocates of the right to publicly display unloaded firearms testified before the Assembly Appropriations Committee. They said the legislation would be costly to enforce and violate their Second Amendment rights to gun ownership.

They also contend that the law is unnecessary because no crimes have ever been linked to the practice. They also argue that they are forced to brandish their firearms because local authorities have been reluctant to issue concealed weapons permits, denying them the right to self-protection.

But Assemblywoman Lori Saldana, D-San Diego, argues that displaying guns forces police to respond to calls from concerned citizens, creating costs and posing safety threats because it’s unclear that the weapons are unloaded.

“Guns are an intimidating presence,” Saldana said earlier this year in introducing her AB 1934. “The average citizen can’t tell the good guys from the bad guys.”

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by MN2Go View Post
    “Guns are an intimidating presence,” Saldana said earlier this year in introducing her AB 1934. “The average citizen can’t tell the good guys from the bad guys.”[/I]

you can't tell the good guys from the bad guys...I think someone needs have a sit down with this woman. The good guys are following the law by open carrying and the bad guys could care less about the law, but we already know that.
    Laws that forbid the carrying of arms . . . disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes . . . Such laws... serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man - Cesare Beccaria

Quote Originally Posted by mamakennedy View Post
    you can't tell the good guys from the bad guys...I think someone needs have a sit down with this woman. The good guys are following the law by open carrying and the bad guys could care less about the law, but we already know that.
    I guess California should just ban people then. Would solve a lot of problems.

“Guns are an intimidating presence,” Saldana said earlier this year in introducing her AB 1934. “The average citizen can’t tell the good guys from the bad guys.”
    Silly twit.

CRIMINALS are the threat. It's unimportant for anyone to be able to identify a criminal, except at the moment of crime being instigated. At that moment, though, EVERYONE knows who the criminal is.

The gun isn't the issue. The CRIMINAL is the issue.

And, the only way to defend against criminals on the instant of crime is to have an effective ability to defend yourself, on you, with you, able to be used at a moment's warning. Failing that, you'll likely be harmed. Tough toenails. Being denied the ability to carry a firearm doesn't help. It only makes things worse. Particularly since criminals ignore the silly little laws stating they are disallowed from carrying, the only ones left carrying, then, are criminals.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

What we NEED is a pro-CCW Sheriff to create a "set" where people like this twit congresswoman can be sat down and exposed to "controlled violence" in a staged robbery scene.

Picture this (2 scenarios):

First:

Congresswoman is sitting is "coffeeshop" with 1 other FEMALE patron who is openly carrying. Gangbanger dressed robber comes in, sees OC patron, says "oops" and leaves.

Then:

Congresswoman is sitting in "coffeeshop" with 1 other FEMALE patron, NEITHER of whom are "visibly armed." Gangbanger dressed robber comes in, sees nothing and proceeds to "attack" woman. (And I mean a REAL ATTACK, grabbing hair, pulling her to her knees, etc.) CCW carrier reacts, draws her BLUE firearm, looks at woman and asks: "Would you rather have a gun or a cell phone right now?"

This could possibly be done with a video of the attack part of the scene leaving the congresswoman and the 1 other female patron "safe" from harm during the demonstration. It wouldn't be as scary but could get the point across.

Anyone good at U-tube for this kind of thing? We could make it go viral and CBS could pick it up. Might be great for public awareness.

Senior Member Array Pure Kustom's Avatar
    Stupid idiots.......nuff said!!!!

Oh, crap! They are going to tell me I can't open carry my unloaded weapon! What good is it to start with? They need a complete new line of politicians in California!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Hoplophobic fools.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Senior Member Array Pure Kustom's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiram25 View Post
    Oh, crap! They are going to tell me I can't open carry my unloaded weapon! What good is it to start with? They need a complete new line of politicians in California!
    Just wait till they start there full political assault on Sporks.

All I can say is FOOLS.
    NRA PATRON LIFE
    BROWN WATER NAVY

California makes no sense. You get what you vote for.

Quote Originally Posted by Hiram25 View Post
    They are going to tell me I can't open carry my unloaded weapon! What good is it to start with?
    In the brief moment it takes to load, it can quite literally be worth a life. That is the value being taken from Californians, if this goes through.

Particularly in counties where the sheriff has long since closed the door on citizen carry, it's the only option for legal carry that people have. Combined with the "might" issue status of the state, taking this from the citizens of California will effectively result in half the counties being no-carry places. In a state of 36M people, that's an extremely big deal, with millions who would be unable to mount an effective defense of themselves or their loved ones outside the home.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by azchevy View Post
    California makes no sense. You get what you vote for.
    That's why they're more commonly known as "Granolas" out there......AKA as "fruits and nuts"
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

I'd be OK with it ONLY if it was accompanied by shall-issue concealed carry.
    ‎An enemy of liberty is no friend of mine. I do not owe respect to anyone who would enslave me by government force, nor is it wise for such a person to expect it. -- Isaiah Amberay

Quote Originally Posted by MN2Go View Post
    They also argue that they are forced to brandish their firearms because local authorities have been reluctant to issue concealed weapons permits, denying them the right to self-protection.[/I]
    "Brandish"?

Nope, no spin here. Move along now...

Pathetic.

I've got it! Why don't we right a law that says that if you are going to commit a crime, you must don your official, local criminal union endorsed Criminal At Work Sash (CAWS) and openly display the "Crime In Progress" tape around the location's perimeter.

Problem solved!

That which does not kill us leaves us broken and bleeding...

Don’t mess with the guy who can barely stand up. His remaining options for self-defense don't include your survival.

Convenire Volui Spectatus

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links