open carried all day!

This is a discussion on open carried all day! within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I normally don't open carry just because I don't want to deal with any hassles I might face. And even though TN is an open ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: open carried all day!

Senior Member Array GoBigOrange's Avatar

open carried all day!

I normally don't open carry just because I don't want to deal with any hassles I might face.

And even though TN is an open carry state I have never seen anyone open carry other than at a gun store/show/range/etc so I feel strange doing it.

Anyways, I went hiking today in the Great Smokey Mountains so I decided to open carry my XD .40 SC in the blackhawk serpa.

Needless to say, not a single negative look from anyone, everyone was extremely friendly

Next we stopped at Wendys and ate, also not a single words was sad but a few people did a double-take.

After that I had to make a stop at a gas station and Advanced Auto:zero problems at either.

Now unlike some other people, I still think there is a time and a place for OC and I feel like certain places would be better visited with concealed carry just so you don't scare the

Now, if only I could get a few more Tennesseans to OC I wouldn't feel so strange.

Overall a great day of OC, will be doing it more often especially this summer when I don't feel like sweating on my gun.

Take care everyone!

2. Remove Ads

Glad you had a good day!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Nothing beats an excellent day with a warm OC gun!

Quote Originally Posted by GoBigOrange View Post
    I normally don't open carry just because I don't want to deal with any hassles I might face.

And even though TN is an open carry state I have never seen anyone open carry other than at a gun store/show/range/etc so I feel strange doing it.

Anyways, I went hiking today in the Great Smokey Mountains so I decided to open carry my XD .40 SC in the blackhawk serpa.

Needless to say, not a single negative look from anyone, everyone was extremely friendly

Next we stopped at Wendys and ate, also not a single words was sad but a few people did a double-take.

After that I had to make a stop at a gas station and Advanced Auto:zero problems at either.

Now unlike some other people, I still think there is a time and a place for OC and I feel like certain places would be better visited with concealed carry just so you don't scare the

Now, if only I could get a few more Tennesseans to OC I wouldn't feel so strange.

Overall a great day of OC, will be doing it more often especially this summer when I don't feel like sweating on my gun.

Take care everyone!
    Glad you had a good day. I open carry myself every once in a while.

I would like to point out that to open carry in Tennessee a person MUST HAVE a handgun carry permit from TN or any other state. Open carry without a permit is against the law. I'm sure you know this but I don't want someone else to misunderstand your post and get in trouble.

I dont OC very often down here. Did in the UP of MI some though.
    I think out in the woods though is a great place to do it.
    Honestly, at least in my neck of the woods, people do OC around in the city, more then most people realize. Even for me, I need to be looking for someone that is OCing just as I would look for someone CCing, and when I do so, I see both of them quite a bit.
    Wo die Notwehr aufhört, fängt der Mord an
    (Murder begins where self-defense ends)
    Georg Büchner

Glad your experience was liberating.

I know from experience that most Tennesseeans are friendly anyway. It just strikes me as funny:
    I went hiking today in the Great Smokey Mountains so I decided to open carry my XD .40 SC in the blackhawk serpa ... everyone was extremely friendly
    Perhaps 'an armed society is a polite society' because most folks tend to be especially friendly when meeting a MWAG.

We look forward to visiting Gatlinburg in the fall and may try a little OC while walking there.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Seeing open carry is like seeing naked people walking around. At first it's a shock, then it becomes ho-hum. They get over it.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Distinguished Member Array BlueNinjaGo's Avatar
    but a few people did a double-take.
    I see people mention this often, and I always wonder, "Wouldn't you?"

If I saw a gentleman with a gun on his waist (outside of TX, where OC is illegal), I would do a double take. I'd be curious of the make, model, holster, etc etc.

But glad you didn't get hassled for using those pesky rights of yours.

Sounds like you had a good time.

I was actually in the Smoky Mountains myself a couple weeks ago. My fiance and I went down there. I honestly didn't know the law on OC, but I had only brought my Ruger LCP with me anyhow. I CCed that wherever possible for the whole trip. Had a great time.

Were you on the marked hiking trails in the park? Because while there, I noticed all the main trails, that were on Smoky Mountain maps, had "No Firearm" signs at the start of them. I was very surprised. Since CC is now legal in these national parks, why would they ban firearms on hiking trails?
    Logan - NRA Member

Walther PPS 9mm, Ruger LCP

Laugh lots, Love Often, and Defend the Irreplaceable

Good on you!
    Blessed be the LORD my strength which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight. PSALM 144:1

I CLING to my guns and my Bible.

Gotta be nice to have the option to suit the situation.

The Smokeys are a great area, love to visit there again; but I'm going to hold off until I've got some permits in the wallet so I can carry when I go.

Glock Certified Armorer

Quote Originally Posted by logan View Post

Were you on the marked hiking trails in the park? Because while there, I noticed all the main trails, that were on Smoky Mountain maps, had "No Firearm" signs at the start of them. I was very surprised. Since CC is now legal in these national parks, why would they ban firearms on hiking trails?
    Those signs are very old, way before the new law passed. And yes I was on the main trails. Bring a bigger gun next time and enjoy some open carrying!

Those signs are very old, way before the new law passed. And yes I was on the main trails. Bring a bigger gun next time and enjoy some open carrying!
    Makes sense. They seemed old, I had kinda wondered that myself. That's a relief. Cause I actually had it with me on most of the hikes anyhow
    Logan - NRA Member

Walther PPS 9mm, Ruger LCP

Laugh lots, Love Often, and Defend the Irreplaceable

Distinguished Member Array orangevol's Avatar
    I open carry nearly every day during the summer months here in West TN. The only thing I notice...is people don't seem to notice!
    Proud NRA member

Quote Originally Posted by friesepferd View Post
    I dont OC very often down here. Did in the UP of MI some though.
    I think out in the woods though is a great place to do it.
    Honestly, at least in my neck of the woods, people do OC around in the city, more then most people realize. Even for me, I need to be looking for someone that is OCing just as I would look for someone CCing, and when I do so, I see both of them quite a bit.
    ya I often try to spot the CCers as well, oh and I've seen you on TGO.com. nice to talk to you in both forums, I have a different name on TGO though! Take care!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links