Connecticut Open Carry

This is a discussion on Connecticut Open Carry within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Now i'm 90% sure I don't plan on OCing anyways but as I understand the CT permit is not a CCW permit but a permit ...

Thread: Connecticut Open Carry

Connecticut Open Carry

Now i'm 90% sure I don't plan on OCing anyways but as I understand the CT permit is not a CCW permit but a permit to carry pistols in general. Is anyone here from CT, and if so have you OCed? and if so, ever been harassed for it?

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array BlueNinjaGo's Avatar

I have carried openly, but it was in a State Forest in Litchfield County a few years ago. A state trooper drove by on my holster side; I waved at him and he waved back. End of story. Not exactly like walking into a Big Y, though.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

VIP Member
    Welcome to the CCDL
    Please check out the CCDL.US.

Anyone aged 21 years or older with a valid Connecticut Permit to Carry Pistols and Revolvers may carry a handgun within the state. Additionally, there is no CT statute requiring that a firearm must remain concealed.

Gun laws in Connecticut can be confusing. For example, can you carry into an establishment that serves alcohol? Or, can you carry in a school zone? This pamphlet summarizes your gun rights and additionally provides a basic introduction to Connecticut gun laws for friends, family, or anyone who asks "Is that legal?"

Attachments: File Description File size
    Is that Legal? Is that Legal - Pamphlet by CCDL, Inc. 335 Kb

Carry Documents
    Written by Administrator
    Thursday, 17 December 2009 23:11
    The CCDL believes that if you choose to carry a gun, you should be able to carry it in any way you personally care to as long as it is legal for you to do so. Many do not know that (OC) Open Carrying of a sidearm is legal in Connecticut (YOU MUST HAVE A VALID CONNECTICUT PERMIT TO CARRY PISTOLS OR REVOLVERS).

The CCDL recommends that anyone that carries a Pistol or Revolver should print the following documents, in their entirety and carry them also. These supporting documents may be of some help if a situation arises.

This is a post from the Connecticut Board of Firearm Examiners website.
    GUN PERMIT-RELATED QUESTIONS dated April 10, 2008

This is a letter written by Department of Public Safety Commissioner John A. Danaher III dated February 24, 2009. The last paragraph of the document is the part that states OC is LEGAL.
    Commissioner Letter

This is a memo that was sent out to all State Police from DPS, about the 2A March at the Capitol, April 10, 2010. Considering that this memo states not to arrest anyone for Open Carrying, and state law cannot be changed or modified by DPS, then as we all know Open Carry MUST BE LEGAL.

DPS Memo to State Police

Last Updated on Wednesday, 14 April 2010 20:18

Quote Originally Posted by ccman View Post
    Welcome to the CCDL
    Additionally, there is no CT statute requiring that a firearm must remain concealed.
    Absolutely correct. However - if you decide to openly carry Fluffy the Pet Handgun in places where people congregate (like malls or other shopping venues), be prepared to have a close, personal discussion with a member of the law enforcement community.

Not saying it's right - but that's the reality.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

???...never had any problems OC'ing in a mall [milford and trumbull]or shopping venue, or anywhere else for that matter for the last 3 months now.
    Bob

Glock 30sf Ruger LCP Remington 870 HD Hi-Point 995TS Sig 556

"I'm not Paranoid.....I'm Prepared"--SGT T

Be advised that Brass Mill Mall IS posted (albeit only on four signs in very small type) and if you are caught carrying in a posted location, you are almost certain to loose your firearm, your carry permit, several hundred dollars of your hard earned money and several months of your freedom - and a felony conviction on your rap sheet.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

Quote Originally Posted by Majorlk View Post
    Be advised that Brass Mill Mall IS posted (albeit only on four signs in very small type) and if you are caught carrying in a posted location, you are almost certain to loose your firearm, your carry permit, several hundred dollars of your hard earned money and several months of your freedom - and a felony conviction on your rap sheet.
    Thanks for the heads up. I can add one more to the many reasons I never go to Brass Mill Mall.
    Bob

Glock 30sf Ruger LCP Remington 870 HD Hi-Point 995TS Sig 556

"I'm not Paranoid.....I'm Prepared"--SGT T

I thought you could be asked to leave but it wasn't criminal? but if you refuse to leave it'd be trespassing?
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

I don't like Brass Mill anyways :p
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

Quote Originally Posted by ctsketch View Post
    I thought you could be asked to leave but it wasn't criminal? but if you refuse to leave it'd be trespassing?
    That was my understanding too.

Quote Originally Posted by ctsketch View Post
    That is totally dependent upon an individual state's laws. Disregarding posting is a felony in Connecticut, if you get caught. I don't have the specific statute at hand.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

Quote Originally Posted by Orange Boy View Post
    That was my understanding too.
    What's is lawful in Florida isn't necessarily lawful in another state. That's why is it vitally important to know the law(s) in the state one is a resident of, or carrying in.

Links