Texas Rifle law

This is a discussion on Texas Rifle law within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Is there any law in Tx regarding rifles on display in a vehicle? Any restriction on carrying one in a rack, I see them but ...

Thread: Texas Rifle law

Texas Rifle law

Is there any law in Tx regarding rifles on display in a vehicle?
    Any restriction on carrying one in a rack, I see them but do they have to be unloaded?
    I didn't hear of any regulations, just wondered - a search did not help.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    My gosh, no one has answered. I just thought I would at least post so the thread doesn't disappear. I don't have an answer for you.

When we first moved here almost 40 years ago it was common place for people to have gun racks in the back of their trucks with rifles / shotguns on there.

I have no idea if those were allowed to be loaded, but it would not appear to be a safe thing; not one in the chamber-- maybe a magazine or some in the shotgun feed tube (whatever it is called).

I have a very vague recollection that the law was changed to forbid this practice of carrying openly in a rack, but I am not certain and could be very wrong. All I know is that after awhile I started seeing umbrellas in those racks. And then, that fad fizzled out as well.

I have a hunch that the "is it legal" part is tied up in the hunting laws and the hunting seasons, but again, I'm just guessing and don't know.

I'd suggest you check the hunting regulations or ask a hunter's safety instructor. Or, find a game warden and ask. Then of course, double check the code to make sure that the answer you got is reliable.

I just moved from Texas, and the last time I checked (last year), there are no 'rifle' laws in Texas; you can have it in your vehicle, concealed, in the open, unloaded or loaded. Unless of course you are a convicted felon.
    John Luttrell

Perfectly legal.

I wouldn't use one of the racks for the back window of a pickup truck, especially if you live in a major city. If left unattended, you're almost certain to have a broken window and guns missing.

VIP Member
    In many parts of the south rifles and shotguns are not considered weapons. They fall under the sporting arms category. While you may not be in violation of criminal law check closely the Game and Fish Regulations about carrying a loaded long gun just to make sure you are not running amuck of the opossum police.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

Good way to get a gun stolen,
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

VIP Member
    there is no restriction on possessing/carrying/displaying a rifle/shotgun in the manner you're describing
    as far as firearms....unlawful carrying of a weapon only applies to handguns, so its legal to have rifle/shotguns in your car or on your person no permit required

the only law pertinent to this displaying a long gun is in the disorderly statute:
    Sec. 42.01. DISORDERLY CONDUCT. (a) A person commits an offense if he intentionally or knowingly:
    (8)"displays a firearm or other deadly weapon in a public place in a manner calculated to alarm"

and with people having them in gun racks of pickups for years its pretty well accepted

I would really think about displaying in this manner just for the purpose of some tool scoring a free rifle when they break our your window
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I think thief had as much to do with the "rear window gun racks" going away for the most part as any laws. Poeple are much more diligent about "securing" firearms in vehicles than in the past.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Do people still have gun racks in the back window? Guess I haven't noticed any since I was younger.
    Be careful what you wish for. You just might get it ......

Quote Originally Posted by hihosilver View Post
    Do people still have gun racks in the back window? Guess I haven't noticed any since I was younger.
    I got one from my son for my birthday this year!
    Nill illigitimi carborundum
    -----------------------------
    Captain von Trapp: If the Nazis take over Austria, I have no doubt, Herr Zeller, that you will be the entire trumpet section.
    Herr Zeller: You flatter me, Captain.
    Captain von Trapp: Oh, how clumsy of me - I meant to accuse you.

they hold a fishing rod real well

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hihosilver View Post
    yes, I still see them
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

Links