I really hope someone does not run across this guy and base their opinion on him

This is a discussion on I really hope someone does not run across this guy and base their opinion on him within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Who knows if the guy is a cop or not. But, the others are right... my brain has a Rolodex of smartass comebacks. Sometimes they ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I really hope someone does not run across this guy and base their opinion on him

Administrator
    Who knows if the guy is a cop or not. But, the others are right... my brain has a Rolodex of smartass comebacks. Sometimes they get fired off without me meaning to do so. I think most cops who have been doing the job longer than a few years do.
    Even though I'm very much a gun guy, I absolutely despise talking guns with strangers, especially in odd venues.
    "Just blame Sixto"

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Even though I'm very much a gun guy, I absolutely despise talking guns with strangers, especially in odd venues.
    Why? Talkin' guns with a "stranger" isn't a bad thing. It's like talkin' about DeWalt power tools. With all do respect, you MAY have the wrong mindset. I'd rethink that youngin'.

Quote Originally Posted by ramrunnr View Post
    If the antennas were dummies, I'd agree with you there.

The only thing not all guys with antennas are wannabes. I own a 2005 Crown Vic in Silver with three antennas on the trunk. One for CB, one for a scanner (yes it is legal), and the third for a 2m ham radio. There is a fourth antenna on the rear quarter, but it is the AM/FM radio. I am thinking of removing it as I really don't use the AM/FM radio that much. There is also I small Wi-Fi antenna (about 6 inches tall and on the right side) and a GPS receiver (on the left side) on the hood. If you think that is a lot you should see my van.
    From a fellow HAM, scannist and CB'er thank you, I didn't know how to say something without sounding all PO'ed that chatting on the local repeater somehow makes me a cop wannabe. I removed the AM antenna on my car so I'm doing a pretty decent job at keeping it down to 3....for now, still want to do APRS, and add a dedicated GMRS mobile, as the hand held isn't cutting it all the time (licensed for those too).

Cop or not he left a sour taste in your mouth, his comment, serious or not left a reflection on himself, not you; so I really wouldn't worry about it. The world is full of people that are narcissistic if he's not actually doing anything wrong then there is no duty to report it to the police shrug him off and move on with life.

And +1 on yanking your chain half hartedly, and if he caught your reaction to it then he knows you're not out playing cowboy, and not one that he is likely to worry about, so he took his order and left as planned.

Glock Certified Armorer

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Just curious, you said you were in uniform and OCing; what uniform were you wearing?

Were you in a position to see a badge near his holster or anywhere else; can you be positive he did not have a badge displayed somewhere?

I've never been mistaken for an LEO, probably my Hitchcock profile is out of style, even for southern fat-bellied sheriffs. Still I probably won't argue with a fry clerk if my total seems a bit less than I was expecting, heck I may not even notice.

There have been several stories around here about OCers mistaken for LEOs, and when an LEO approaches an OCer often the first question is, "Are you an LEO?"

I assume this is because most people associate a sidearm with LEOs, and that most people have a fascination with firearms and LEOs.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Distinguished Member Array GunGeezer's Avatar
    Some people get their kicks at playing," my antenna is longer than yours". A little penis envy isn't a bad thing. The VHF antenna on my boat is about 8' tall and....well never mind.

You did the right thing by not saying anything more to him, whether he was a wannabe or an actual LEO. Best to just mind your own business at that point.

And you comment you were in uniform too...lol....
    Listen, Think and React.....Nuff Said.....

While I too I a gun guy, I gravitate towards them but I don't engage in conversation with strangers, none of my business. People I know, different story. Maybe you did get a jerk on your chain.
    Blessed be the LORD my strength which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight. PSALM 144:1

I CLING to my guns and my Bible.

I have a friend/co-worker, well 2 that are part time armed security, very basic security work. And they both often wear their badges on their belts with their guns, and sometimes cuffs.

They have absolutely no power of arrest when not working. Even when they are its shaky.
    One of them has a white crown vic with a cage, a radio, wig wags, siren, the whole bit, the other uses state seal stickers on his vehicles in order to look more important.
    They worked the voting polls a few times and were dubbed special constables and the one took that WAY overboard. I have heard him tell people that "while out serving papers..." total BS.
    Their patch is vague and sometimes it just has a state seal in it. They are much like the guy in the opening post. One wears a hat with a state seal on it just to get the free coffee. And talks about being out doing things with the other guys.

In fact the one with the vic wears his duty belt to his main security job, then takes it off. We are not allowed to be armed in the security job we do full time.

We belive that he ^ tried to punk a State AG Agent once on the highway by swinging out behind him and picking up his mic as if he were talking to someone. The description of the car and the uniform, guy, and location were very very close to him. The Agent is a firearms instructor that I have classes with.

( I am a part time LEO )

Jason
    "Put on the whole armor of God..."

Quote Originally Posted by GunGeezer View Post
    Some people get their kicks at playing," my antenna is longer than yours". A little penis envy isn't a bad thing. The VHF antenna on my boat is about 8' tall and....well never mind.
    The Comet GP-9 on my house is 17' tall.

My Butternut HF6V is 25'.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by 1911PKR View Post
    Why? Talkin' guns with a "stranger" isn't a bad thing. It's like talkin' about DeWalt power tools. With all do respect, you MAY have the wrong mindset. I'd rethink that youngin'.
    There is a proper time and place for everything. 99.9% of the time I'm approached by somebody wanting to talk guns, they open up with some asinine question or comment; that usually turns me off no matter the subject.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    To answer what uniform i was wearing, I was in my security uniform, about a block away from my site, i tend to stop in that mickey d's two to three times a shift for coffee, unless i am on duty, i try not to go in there too much when i am in uniform, but the employees know i am a security guard so they don't give me any special discounts, the only free anything i have taken was every 7th fountain drink because i am a member of the speedway drink club
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

Quote Originally Posted by INccwchris View Post
    So, i was on my way to work today and stopped by a Mickey D's to get some refreshments and kill some brain cells with grease. A gentleman was waiting to order and I happened to notice a very very beautiful Kimber SIS on his hip in a leather holster. As is customary for me when I see someone open carrying in close proximity to me, when i am also carrying openly (note, i was in uniform as i was on my way to work and open carrying myself) I commented on how nice his holster was and asked him how he liked his Kimber. He stated, and I quote "Yeah, I carry like this because people think I am a cop and tend to be more polite and I like the discounts." I chose not to say anything further to him and left thinking I must have heard him wrong, until I noticed him getting into an Impala with antennas all over it. This "gentleman" was the definition of wanna be. Should I have tried to set him straight or was I correct in walking away from the mall ninja?
    We have one of those types that lives down the street from me. We have a neighborhood watch program in effect in our area, and the first time this person showed for the program, he showed up with a 2007 Dodge Charger (the NH SP have these cars) with blacked out windows, and everything that said "LEO" I DO know he's a wannabee, just by the fact his NH tags are one the car, and he STILL has a Masachusetts inspection sticker on the windshield, with NO NH inspection sticker, which means he's been driving this car since Dec 2009 (he got the car in Dec 09, his tag reg renewal date is in July 2010) so he THINKS he can make himself look like a LEO, BUT he's only fooling himself, until he gets stopped (which will happen eventually) BTW, he also O/C's with a duty style type setup, which, with everything put together, (the car, gear, etc) says pretty much, "LEO impersonator"
    Personally, if you see the guy in the Mikky Ds again, just say nothing, use your observation skills. Usually a LEO will also have his Badge on him , usually worn on his belt area. If he has nothing on him, just chuckle to yourself.
    Just my own opinion here.
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links