I really hope someone does not run across this guy and base their opinion on him

This is a discussion on I really hope someone does not run across this guy and base their opinion on him within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So, i was on my way to work today and stopped by a Mickey D's to get some refreshments and kill some brain cells with ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I really hope someone does not run across this guy and base their opinion on him

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar

I really hope someone does not run across this guy and base their opinion on him

So, i was on my way to work today and stopped by a Mickey D's to get some refreshments and kill some brain cells with grease. A gentleman was waiting to order and I happened to notice a very very beautiful Kimber SIS on his hip in a leather holster. As is customary for me when I see someone open carrying in close proximity to me, when i am also carrying openly (note, i was in uniform as i was on my way to work and open carrying myself) I commented on how nice his holster was and asked him how he liked his Kimber. He gave me the usual response most Kimber owners do, "i love it". We talked for a minute before he said this line that put me on the floor because of the sheer "omg he just said that"'ness of the situation. He stated, and I quote "Yeah, I carry like this because people think I am a cop and tend to be more polite and I like the discounts." I chose not to say anything further to him and left thinking I must have heard him wrong, until I noticed him getting into an Impala with antennas all over it. This "gentleman" was the definition of wanna be, and I found myself wishing that a police officer had been there to set him straight. I thought that mall ninja's were just an urban myth, guess I was wrong Oh well, eventually he will say something like that to an off duty LEO and that LEO will set him straight or give him a nice set of bracelets to wear to jail. Should I have tried to set him straight or was I correct in walking away from the mall ninja?
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

2. Remove Ads

I think he was a real cop who was jerking your chain.

Some of my friends who are cops say one of their pet peeves is people who approach them and start talking about their guns.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Quote Originally Posted by INccwchris View Post
    .Oh well, eventually he will say something like that to an off duty LEO and that LEO will set him straight or give him a nice set of bracelets to wear to jail.
    Was there something illegal he was doing that deserved a trip to jail, or did you just dislike his opinion?

He stated, and I quote "Yeah, I carry like this because people think I am a cop and tend to be more polite and I like the discounts." ...

Should I have tried to set him straight or was I correct in walking away from the mall ninja?
    Can't win them all. Really, it's free country and none of your business.

You did fine walking away copper or not; with his attitude he is not winning any friends or respect. Discounts, oh please ...

Stay safe.

I think you just had your chain jerked.

I don't particularly like it when some total stranger comes up to me and engages me in a conversation about anything. I generally don't get rude, but then I'm a very patient fellow. Not everybody is. (I've got a CB antenna on my truck too.)

Oh well, eventually he will say something like that to an off duty LEO and that LEO will set him straight or give him a nice set of bracelets to wear to jail.
    What's the charge? He didn't say he WAS a cop. He said people THINK he's a cop.

It's incidents like this that should remind us to never pass up an opportunity to mind our own business.
    For God so loved the world that He gave his only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him, should not perish, but have everlasting life.
    John 3:16 (NKJV)

Impersonating a police officer is illegal....regardless of his intent to get discounts.

He's a definite wanna-be....mall-ninja.....you did good by staying away. Hopefully you noted his plate #...
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

I vote "real cop, yanking your chain".

I gotta couple plain clothes friends who have a rotating stock set of comebacks for stupid questions/comments. One of them is almost exactly, word for word, what that individual told you.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunBass View Post
    It's incidents like this that should remind us to never pass up an opportunity to mind our own business.
    You got that right.

None of our business; why bother another gun owner and potentially set things in motion?

Quote Originally Posted by SIGguy229 View Post
    Impersonating a police officer is illegal....
    people assuming you are a police officer because you have a gun on your hip is not impersonating an officer. If it was, then there are many members on this forum who are guilty of that crime.

Accepting gratuities is an unethical but common practice in Policing.

I have told people that "I carry this weapon because I'm mentally capable, and I have papers to prove it!." That usually ends the conversation right there!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Distinguished Member Array Black Knight's Avatar
    I would say big wanna be. Locally we had a security company years ago that felt they were the same as local police. According to my sources that worked there they were even allowed first choice on used police cars before they went to auction. Several of their people bought these cars and set them up with at least 3 antennas. The only things they did not put on the cars were blue lights, sirens, and emblems. Their uniforms even mirrored the local city police. Are they still in business? I don't know but I do know there were several complaints filed against them for their actions.

until I noticed him getting into an Impala with antennas all over it.
    If the antennas were dummies, I'd agree with you there.

The only thing not all guys with antennas are wannabes. I own a 2005 Crown Vic in Silver with three antennas on the trunk. One for CB, one for a scanner (yes it is legal), and the third for a 2m ham radio. There is a fourth antenna on the rear quarter, but it is the AM/FM radio. I am thinking of removing it as I really don't use the AM/FM radio that much. There is also I small Wi-Fi antenna (about 6 inches tall and on the right side) and a GPS receiver (on the left side) on the hood. If you think that is a lot you should see my van.

I have a Crown Vic because I like the ride and the comfort it give me. When it comes time to replace it I might go for a Town Car or a Grand Marquis. The antennas will be moved over to the new car just like they are on the Vic. The reason I got this car had nothing to do with the police using it. Most of the LE depts., in my area, are now using Dodges so it is a moot point, I guess.
    Kel-Tec P-3at, Taurus PT-908, Glock 17, Glock 19, Glock 26, Kel-Tec SUB-2000 9mm (Glock 17 mag compatible),Kel-Tec PF-9, Ruger SP-101 2 barrel hammerless, Maverick Arms 88 Security 8-shot 12 gauge, Marlin 336W .30-30 Win., Rossi Model 92 SRC .357 Mag.

i never thought about it being a cop yanking my chain, and i am aware that antennas do not mean anything, i have two on my truck for my CB, and someone could probbabley mistake them for something else, but something told me this guy was not a LEO, the way i understood him was that he open carried to look like a cop on purpose, but the whole thing still rubbed me the wrong way, i felt that not to say hello and engage in conversation would have been rude, with as close as he was standing. If someone is within 2-3 feet of me, i usually say hello and if we are waiting in a line i engage in conversation, then again i am also a people person, so thats just my nature
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

and i also used to own a blue grand marquis, best riding car i ever owned

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links