OC for first time

This is a discussion on OC for first time within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have been CC for almost 2 months in Cobb County GA. Just yesterday I got a little $50 incentive from work so I went ...

Thread: OC for first time

OC for first time

I have been CC for almost 2 months in Cobb County GA.
    Just yesterday I got a little $50 incentive from work so I went to Nick's gun store on Barrett Pkwy and got a Blackhawk Serpa holster for the RIA 1911. ( a note on Nick's guns. When I was there the other day looking for holsters an employee made it very clear they do not condone OC. He listed off the typical everyone will call the senators and BG's will sneak up and take your gun and the BG will go in to rob a store and immediately kill me first because I am a threat. )

Decided I would start off easy and walk my dog around the neighborhood. Then stepped it up a notch and got some gas without going inside. Later I took the plunge and went into Publix. And even later that night went to Kroger.

Not one problem. I think dude in front of me in line at Publix did a double take. But overall great first OC experience. If it's this uneventful I may have to do this full time. I prefer the added protection of the .45 over my Bersa .380 that serves as my CCW.

Now to McDonalds, although I won't be going inside.

I can feel the WWW coming on...

2. Remove Ads

Heading to your neck of the woods end of June for the Wood Bat Tournament with my son. I'll look for ya. :)

Quote Originally Posted by Campeck1911 View Post
    I have been CC for almost 2 months in Cobb County GA.
    Just yesterday I got a little $50 incentive from work so I went to Nick's gun store on Barrett Pkwy and got a Blackhawk Serpa holster for the RIA 1911. ( a note on Nick's guns. When I was there the other day looking for holsters an employee made it very clear they do not condone OC. He listed off the typical everyone will call the senators and BG's will sneak up and take your gun and the BG will go in to rob a store and immediately kill me first because I am a threat. )

Decided I would start off easy and walk my dog around the neighborhood. Then stepped it up a notch and got some gas without going inside. Later I took the plunge and went into Publix. And even later that night went to Kroger.

Not one problem. I think dude in front of me in line at Publix did a double take. But overall great first OC experience. If it's this uneventful I may have to do this full time. I prefer the added protection of the .45 over my Bersa .380 that serves as my CCW.

Now to McDonalds, although I won't be going inside.

I can feel the WWW coming on...
    Glad your first OC experience was a good one. Since you mentioned Kroger, I just read a thread in the Concealed Carry forum that stated that Kroger no bans that carrying of firearms in their stores. Just a heads-up that you may be stopped once their policy change filters down to all their stores.
    "Leave the gun. Take the cannoli" Clemenza

Beware of your Serpa and check it often for function. A lot of them have shown up DOA at professional training courses (Jeff Gonzales, Pat Rogers) to the point where they are banned.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    Beware of your Serpa and check it often for function. A lot of them have shown up DOA at professional training courses (Jeff Gonzales, Pat Rogers) to the point where they are banned.
    Didn't Blackhawk address and fix this with a mechanical change about a year or two into production?

Glock Certified Armorer

Glad your OC experience went so smooth. Must be nice to live in a place where you can actually do that...

Well I got my friend a Serpa for his PK380. I got the one for the Glock 26 and put some leather strips in it to fit the gun better. We both went to Wally World and in the line to leave a big 'ol Walmart employee came up and said that there were women in the store that were getting nervous and if we could just cover them with our shirts.

I told him my 1911 was a little too big for my shirt to hide. ( green t-shirt )
    He just asked politely if I could do it anyways. So me and my friend obliged and he asked what we were carrying and thanked us.

Not so bad.

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    I would have simply told him that it was fine that they were nervous, and that he should just tell them it was legal and i am cleared by the state and county governments to carry my weapon, and then showed them my CCW badge to verify that I am a good guy, I would then have tucked it back on my belt next to my sash and my gun and then made sure my cape was behind my weapon so it was obviously open and visible........................................... ..

i really hope yall can tell that i am being sarcastic, in all seriousness Campeck, you would have been within your rights to not cover it had you not wanted too, the thing i would have done is go ahead and cover it, and then take the oppurtunity to educate the man about open carry laws in indiana,(or your state) but maintain being polite and calm throughout, and then if he still wants u to cover, thats fine
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

Quote Originally Posted by canav844 View Post
    Didn't Blackhawk address and fix this with a mechanical change about a year or two into production?
    Apparently not enough to keep the bad ones from still showing up in class. Beyond the spring failures, the design allows crud to enter the locking mechanism and tie it up, preventing the gun from being released. Now if you never, ever have to get down and shoot from prone, or roll over on any surface dirtier than your kitchen floor, a Serpa might be fine for you. You can rinse a Glock in mud, but not a Serpa.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Links