Less threatening?

This is a discussion on Less threatening? within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Sorry if this is a thread already. But I need to get some opinions. Lately I have been carrying my Gen 4 G17 for an ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Less threatening?

Less threatening?

Sorry if this is a thread already. But I need to get some opinions.

Lately I have been carrying my Gen 4 G17 for an off duty carry gun. On duty I carry a G2 w/ tlr-1 tac light. I also carry a kel-tec p3at in a pack at different times when carrying is frowned upon or needs to be really deep carry. ANYWAY!

On the weekends I have been OC around my neighbor hood, out to breakfast at a local place, while cutting the grass, and the occasional errands.

Here is my dilemma. I think my 17 is too attention grabbing, my kel tec is too small for a primary, and my 21 is too heavy. I feel like I belong in the three bears fairytale. I have a 19 but its not much smaller than the 17.

Would a snubby be a better choice, less threatening to the public than a G17. I have added a small pocket knife to my edc so not to scare the public. Or even a smaller semi?

I may just be looking for rationalization to buy a new gun lol but I am really curious about the whole scaring the public thing. Thanks.

Jason
    "Put on the whole armor of God..."

2. Remove Ads

Have you shot the G26 yet?

Glock Certified Armorer

When I OC, I carry the same gun as when I CC. It is full size, and I do get some looks, but I think that your posture and demeanor will do more to appear less threatening than the gun you carry. While I am always aware that it is on my side, I will interact with other members of the public as if it isn't. I am also a gesturer when I talk and I try to smile a lot and do the things that I was raised to do- like hold doors for people, dress appropriately, etc....

I have only had one person outright ask about why I had a gun, and she was not mean about it, despite being in disagreement to my doing so, but we respected one another's viewpoints and ended up having a lovely discussion about how wonderful Disney World is to visit (I am from Florida and go annually, and she takes all of her grandchildren).
    It's Great to be a Florida Gator!

Gene Police: "Hey You! Out of the Pool!

I used to own a G26 and sold it for no reason....:( but now I wish I had one again. I may start putting more thought into it.

I carry what fits MY needs; what the public thinks is immaterial to me.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

VIP Member
    I carry either a CZ P-06 or CZ 82. Both of these I carry both OC and CC, depending on what I'm doing and my mood. While the P-06 .40 cal has better stopping power, I have no qualms about the 82 12+1 of 9mm Makarov. My carry is based on what my needs are, not on what the man on the street thinks.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Well it kind of falls into the what i'm doing category. I am just cruising around the yard on my mower and doing some odds and ends. Also when we go to breakfast its a small country restaurant where everyone gets along.....( does not mean my sa is any different ) Just think it would be more comfortable too.

I live in a good neighborhood but I keep my gun on while mowing and doing other things in case of dogs or ground hogs or any other critters. Not too worried about goblins in my area.

Less threatening?

The 17 is a big gun. Getting a different gun won't be any different, though. There are a lot of gun haters who do not understand why we carry. Since you want something smaller, I would recommend a G19 or the G26 with night sights.

I carry a G27 in the summer and a G23 in the winter. Unless my clothing does not allow for a thick gun-then my option is two snub nosed revolvers.

Florida is not an open carry state but if I had a choice, concealed carry is best since it gives the element of surprise. Whatever advantage you have, you don't want your enemy or aggressor to have the upper hand.

Massad Ayoobs book on concealed carry is excellent and discusses open carry as well as concealed.
    NRA, Lifetime Member

IMO......to hell with scaring the public! The only reason you think it's scaring the public is because the public is ignorant. The only time you'd be threatening the "public" is when you have it out of the holster. IMO...you're over-thinking things, and quite frankly....the general public cares not for your concerns. Keep doing what you're doing and forget about whatever made you think of this whole ordeal. It's not a real good excuse for getting a new pistol.......you can think of another one I'm sure. Excuses abound these days, and they are mostly free so long as you can live with yourself after the fact.

I'll echo RamRod, a little.

We carry for our own peace of mind, if you're that worried about scaring people, go back to CC.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

I carry a full size .40 S&W open AND concealed. The public has thier own opinions and I could care less what they think or say. If you are worried about scaring the public then you should seriously rethink OC and stick to CC until you dont care what the public thinks about YOUR decision.
    Just my .02, ~Steve
    BETTER TO BE TRIED BY 12 THAN CARRIED BY 6
    Hesitation kills faster than a bullet.
    If your head is up your *$$ you are unaware of danger. You are in the perfect position to kiss it goodbye.
    Open Carry LAW for Pennsylvania
    http://www.thecrimsonpirate.com/rtkb...pdate_2009.pdf

Simple. Clip your badge to your belt just forward of your gun.
    I'm assuming based on your post that you're a LEO.
    Anyone who sees the gun will see the badge clipped next to it. I'll bet being a cop will soften 99% of glares you might get.

I figure that a gun's a gun. If any part of it's visible, then a person is going to have the response they're going to have. If you're in a region where knee-jerk fearfulness is typical, then going concealed might be preferable. You can go IWB instead of OWB; improve or enlarge the covering garment; or go to pocket carry.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by Lewis128 View Post
    Simple. Clip your badge to your belt just forward of your gun.
    I'm assuming based on your post that you're a LEO.
    Anyone who sees the gun will see the badge clipped next to it. I'll bet being a cop will soften 99% of glares you might get.
    VERY bad advice.

If one is LEO and off duty, then the displayed badge is a

If one is NOT LEO and displays what looks like a badge, one is guilty of impersonating a cop. Bad juju.

Best thing is to carry something that isn't "ultra-ninja" or the latest and greatest "battle-tech cannon." And, stay away from clip on accessories like night lights and stuff. You want something that says business without screaming INSANE NUT JOB!!!!! to everyone who sees it.

So, no chrome, no mil camo paint, no 1911 in condition 1 in a minimalist slide holster. No BBQ gun in a BBQ-gun holster either. Just wear a nice conservative weapon and a nice conservative IWB holster.

Fancy leather is optional but it's better without. After all, you aren't supposed to be trying to impress anyone with your EDC. And if that's the case, you don't need fancy leather trim to catch anyone's eye.

All of you show valid points. I appreciate it, maybe I'm concerned about it because of my holster which is an easy fix. I carry in a glock "combat" holster, I think I will change that, I will feel better. I guess I really shouldn't care what the public thinks. I'll put some thought into it, any more advice is appreciated. Thanks.

Jason

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links