Georgia: Open Carry v Concealed

This is a discussion on Georgia: Open Carry v Concealed within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am a Fl resident and I just noticed that GA has an Open Carry option. If someone has the link to their regulations I ...

Thread: Georgia: Open Carry v Concealed

I am a Fl resident and I just noticed that GA has an Open Carry option. If someone has the link to their regulations I would be much obliged.

I know that GA has reciprocity with FL, but why would anyone open carry if the concealed option is there?

I was shocked to read that you cannot carry in a rest stop (not that I have visited one for over 3 years).

Are the GA laws like Utah's whereby you cannot carry with one in the chamber? Or you can only have a revolver carry 2 less than capacity?
    NRA, Lifetime Member

2. Remove Ads

You can carry with a locked and loaded weapon open and concealed.

And people have all kinds of personal reasons for open carrying.

Georgia Gun Laws in Plain English on GeorgiaPacking.org

I have just started carrying open as of yesterday because I like the idea of having the .45 for protection over the .380
    RIA 1911 vs. Bersa .380

I also open carry to deter wanna-be thugs in my my area from trying to rob me like every single one of my close friends has been.

Also--check out Handgunlaw.us

As far as OC vs CC....that is covered under the forum rules:
    9. We have learned from bitter experience that discussions of certain subjects (politics, religion, abortion, sexual orientation, etc) often degenerate quickly. For this reason, we prohibit these subjects in our discussions. We also discourage "caliber wars" and the virtues of "open carry" topic; strongly encouraging you to take these discussions to other forums where these topics are the focus.
    Some prefer OC for convenience. It's a personal preference.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Bishkek, Kyrgyzstan; by way of St. Mayberry, GA
    +1........ Camp's link is a good 'un.

As a Ga. resident who lives right on the Fl-Ga border I try to keep up with both states laws concerning carrying.

Open carry is legal here and many choose to do so. I, on occasion, do so as well. I conceal most of the time though......I feel it's nobody else's business.

Rest area's are just one the 'odd-ball' places we can not carry. Some of Ga's laws are pretty silly. Hopefully, we get a few of there places changed in the 'books' soon.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

I thought I read somewhere recently that open carry was legal only for GA residents with a license? Either I read wrong then or I can't find where it says that now

*edit* found it

Summary
    Georgia is not a traditional open carry state. However, open carry IS legal with a Georgia permit. It is also worthy of note that you MAY openly carry a firearm without a permit in a motor vehicle.

so as Florida residents we are out of luck it appears :(

Quote Originally Posted by Chevyguy85
    I thought I read somewhere recently that open carry was legal only for GA residents with a license? Either I read wrong then or I can't find where it says that now

*edit* found it

Summary
    Georgia is not a traditional open carry state. However, open carry IS legal with a Georgia permit. It is also worthy of note that you MAY openly carry a firearm without a permit in a motor vehicle.

so as Florida residents we are out of luck it appears :(
    Fl residents get reciprocity so we can carry concealed. Open policy I don't know. I don't consider open a deterrent unless I would be carrying a Desert Eagle 44 Mag.
    NRA, Lifetime Member

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CDRGlock View Post
    Fl residents get reciprocity so we can carry concealed. Open policy I don't know. I don't consider open a deterrent unless I would be carrying a Desert Eagle 44 Mag.
    Forum Rules:
    9. ...discussions of certain subjects (politics, religion, abortion, sexual orientation, etc) often degenerate quickly. For this reason, we prohibit these subjects in our discussions. We also discourage "caliber wars" and the virtues of "open carry" topic; ...
    Take it up on some other forum.
    eschew obfuscation

The only thing that stops bad guys with guns is good guys with guns. SgtD

So can Florida residents with a permit carry open in Georgia? Does Georgia recognize the Fl permit as a GFL substitute or just a CC permit?

Quote Originally Posted by Campeck1911 View Post
    So can Florida residents with a permit carry open in Georgia? Does Georgia recognize the Fl permit as a GFL substitute or just a CC permit?
    As I understand it, mind you I know nothing, us Floridians can CC while abiding the GA State Laws with our FL permit. We can not however open carry.

If you are a FL resident in GA...then you follow the laws of GA...what does GA law say IRT OC?
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Quote Originally Posted by Campeck1911 View Post
    GA laws rule while in GA. If you have a permit of a state that has reciprocity with us, then while here you are treated as one of us (which means OC is good to go).

Read up on the laws here at Georgia Carry and Georgia Packing.
    http://www.saf.org/ --- Fighting for American's Gun Rights
    http://GeorgiaCarry.org --- Fighting for Georgian's Gun Rights.
    http://Georgiapacking.org --- Discussion of Georgia Gun Laws.

You can OC or CC with a permit here in GA..(or a state we honor) but you can not carry other weapons like you can in florida!!!!! all other weapons must be carried openly and then you are subject to a patchwork of knife laws etc all gun laws are preempted(except cities discharge ordinances and they can require gun ownership like kennesaw)

one of the main reasons to OC is thats its hot and humid as heck esp in south ga....

GA only has one permit its the GFL and it is to carry a pistol in general. OC has never been banned but CC has and is a new way to carry in the last 15 or so years....

OC=the Right

CC=the state given privilege
    S&W M&P40/M&P9c OC rigs
    S&W 640-1 or Sig P238 as a CC rig
    proud www.georgiacarry.org member
    Second Amendment Foundation Life member

Quote Originally Posted by rmodel65 View Post
    You can OC or CC with a permit here in GA..(or a state we honor) but you can not carry other weapons like you can in florida!!!!! all other weapons must be carried openly and then you are subject to a patchwork of knife laws etc all gun laws are preempted(except cities discharge ordinances and they can require gun ownership like kennesaw)

one of the main reasons to OC is thats its hot and humid as heck esp in south ga....

GA only has one permit its the GFL and it is to carry a pistol in general. OC has never been banned but CC has and is a new way to carry in the last 15 or so years....

OC=the Right

CC=the state given privilege
    Thank you.

What isthe restriction on knives?

I have a SOG Pentagon Elite. I don't know its length. It may be 3.75".
    NRA, Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by CDRGlock View Post
    Thank you.

What isthe restriction on knives?

I have a SOG Pentagon Elite. I don't know its length. It may be 3.75".
    Right now the restriction on knives is a hodgepodge of laws and ordinances. To be safe in most cities, I'd say don't put a folding knife of more than 2" in your pocket.

SB308 which is sitting on the Governor's desk waiting for his signature which would make any knife with a 5" or longer blade concealable with a permit and would add state preemption. But knives under 5" would still be at the discretion of the city, county you're in.
    http://www.saf.org/ --- Fighting for American's Gun Rights
    http://GeorgiaCarry.org --- Fighting for Georgian's Gun Rights.
    http://Georgiapacking.org --- Discussion of Georgia Gun Laws.

Can't carry a folding blade that locks and has a blade length greater than 3" in the city of Atlanta. A 3" or less blade that locks is fine.

Other than that to be on the safe side I'd say don't carry a switchblade, gravity knife, or automatic knife. Assisted opening is okay though.

Links