Open carry in the rain

Open carry in the rain

This is a discussion on Open carry in the rain within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Do you OC when it's raining? I carry a 1911, and it's made of steel. If it gets wet, it rusts, so I will CC ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Distinguished Member Array Pro2A's Avatar

Question Open carry in the rain

Do you OC when it's raining? I carry a 1911, and it's made of steel. If it gets wet, it rusts, so I will CC when it is raining. If I have my Glock, I will still OC.

I guess it depends on what I am carrying.

How about you?

I use common sense. I worry more about leather holsters than I do steel guns.
    For God so loved the world that He gave his only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him, should not perish, but have everlasting life.
    John 3:16 (NKJV)

Quote Originally Posted by Pro2A View Post
    Do you OC when it's raining? I carry a 1911, and it's made of steel. If it gets wet, it rusts, so I will CC when it is raining. If I have my Glock, I will still OC.

How about you?
    LEOs carry in the rain, the military carries in the rain, and hunters hunt in the rain. Just clean and lube the weapon if it gets wet.
    NRA life member.

I never had a pistol rust in the 33 years of me carrying a duty pistol in what you call "open carry". If you put your pistol in extreme conditions you maintain it accordingly.

Yup, the gun will probably display a little bit of rust starting. Nothing that a little Rem Oil and a rag wont wipe off though :) Just clean and lube afterwards and ur good. Nothing to worry about :)

Distinguished Member Array PastorPack's Avatar
    Doesn't hurt to give it nic wipe down BEFORE the rain too!
    God is love (1 John 4:8)

VIP Member
    For me, OC is NOT contigent on the weather.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar
    I carry a Glock so I'm not too overly concerned, though I still make an effort to keep my gun dry. If I do OC and the weather decides to rain, I just wait until I get home. I then field strip the gun and dry off the parts with a rag then put a very small amount of gun oil on the slide rails.
    USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I am the God fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative you were warned about!

Quote Originally Posted by Pro2A View Post

How about you?
    (1) When it's raining, I generally am wearing a jacket, raincoat, etc. Seldom do I stand around getting soaked.

(2) Every pistol I have has gotten rained on at some point in time; none ever rusted.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

My mama taught me to stay out of the rain, wear raincoats, or use an umbrella...my gun has not gotten wet in all my years of CCW.

I must correct myself, as I did tip over in a kayak once...but I had a revolver with me...cleaned it that night.
    Last edited by RETSUPT99; May 18th, 2010 at 12:28 AM.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    I carry a polymer gripped XDM, the slide is metal, and i do not worry about it when it rains, just when i get home i strip it down and rub a rem oil cloth on it
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

I get more moisture on my carry from the condensation/sweat from my IWB than issues with rain. Never mind the wear on the finish from the holster/environmental conditions (dust/dirt).
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Administrator
    Give your firearm a coat of this. Renaissance Wax & you can also do your holster while you're at it.
    Safe for all steel and leather. Search Ebay for "Renaissance Wax" - It's the best stuff out there for guns and knives/swords & it's PH Neutral and a perfect non-wetting surface protectant for leather.
    Buy the smallest size...a little goes a long way.

RENAISSANCE WAX is used in the following places in the U.S. - The Smithsonian Institute, Colonial Williamsburg Conservatory, Abraham Lincoln Residence, Vicksburg Military Park and Museum, Henry Ford Museum, Academy of Arts, Metropolitan Museum of Art, NRA Museum, Rockefeller Restorations, Frank Lloyd Wright Foundation, Hilton Hotels, BYU Museum of Art, National Ornamental Metals Museum, as well as other museums, government agencies, craftsmen, collectors both professional and amature alike.

In the United Kingdom it is used in the British Museum, Victoria and Albert Museum, Buckingham Palace, Military Museums at Aldershot, H.M. the Queens Royal Armourer, The National Museum of Antiquities - Scotland, Royal Armories (London & Leeds), The Imperial War Museum, Windsor Castle, and The Tower of London.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RENAISSANCE WAX has appeared on and in the following - "The Martha Stewart" TV show, "This Old House" magazine, Better Homes & Gardens "Wood" magazine, The Double Gun Journal, Gun List, 'Blade' magazine, Knives Illustrated, Knifeworld publications, 'Tactical knives' magazine, The Big Show Journal, Ships'n'Scale Magazine, Pool & billiards magazine, as well as many other articles for sportsmen, craftsmen, woodworkers, metalworkers, restorers, conservators and in famous professional reference and restoration publications worldwide! Martha Stewart "Living" magazine, "Real Simple" magazine & various internet forums.

I just throw mine in the dryer.
    Semper Fi

25 years of being a LEO in South Florida, my Duty guns got rained on,
    a lot!
    Just clean and lube them up after a shower or in my case several cat 2-cat 3 hurricanes.
    "A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on."
    - Sir Winston Churchill

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links