question for those in Wisconsin

This is a discussion on question for those in Wisconsin within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; We are planning on taking a trip next month and will be driving through Wisconsin. I know that I cannot carry concealed, but open carry ...

Thread: question for those in Wisconsin

question for those in Wisconsin

We are planning on taking a trip next month and will be driving through Wisconsin. I know that I cannot carry concealed, but open carry is allowed, even for out of state residients. Or at least that is what I have heard. The question is, is it legal to open carry in a motor vehicle?
    In my home state of Michigan, unless you have a concealed license the gun must be unloaded and locked away from passinger compartment.
    What is the law concerning hand guns inside vehicles in Wisconsin?

Also, what is "Open" in Wisconsin? Can I just tuck my shirt inside my grip with the gun inside my IWB holster, so the grip shows?

2. Remove Ads

Nothing of the gun may be concealed except the portion contained in a holster. Loosely, an IWB holster with shirt tucked behind the grip is the same as a OWB holster.

Open carry is only allowed on foot.

Firearms must be completely unloaded (magazine and chamber) and kept in a locked {fastened} contained design for the use of a firearm.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

In Wisco your firearm must be unloaded, cased, and out of reach in any motor vehicle. This includes cars (of course), boats, and ATVs.

(1st post)

Quote Originally Posted by Gumbo View Post
    In Wisco your firearm must be unloaded, cased, and out of reach in any motor vehicle. This includes cars (of course), boats, and ATVs.

(1st post)
    Correct and welcome from WI

Here's a good link about WI carry: Wisconsin Carry Guide - ICarry.org

They also have a link to a pamphlet there that you can print out to educate about the laws.

On foot, not in gov buildings (including libraries), not within 1000ft of a school, not in a state park (but most county parks are ok even if it violates an out of date ordinance there is state preemption). Anyone state resident or not is allowed to OC. And no OC anywhere that serves alcohol for consumption, which rules out all the chilli's applebee's type places, most family restaurants in WI, all bars; and there is no real signage, certainly none that I've seen by any door.

You can also expect, depending upon where you're at to handle at least one MWAG call if it's anywhere in the eastern half of the state, the police are generally well educated, but I'd carry the informational pamphlet just in case they aren't. It's the sheep that tend to be scared the most.

Enjoy your trip to WI!

Glock Certified Armorer

canav844 pretty much covered everything.

Here's a link to a newer pamphlet that I use: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4656643/OC%20pamphlet%2015.pdf

I highly suggest printing off a copy of that, so if you are harassed or questioned about your carrying, you have all the information with you that you need.

Just make sure when you are getting your gun out of the case and trunk, that you do not set the case on or in your car. The case must be completely out of the vehicle before opening it.

Thankfully you are only driving through Wisconsin, so you won't spend too much time out of the vehicle and have to worry about the laws too much.

Gumbo: Welcome to the forum!
    Logan - NRA Member

Walther PPS 9mm, Ruger LCP

Laugh lots, Love Often, and Defend the Irreplaceable

Links