Florida Open Carry petition

This is a discussion on Florida Open Carry petition within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Warning: This website link, not a part of DefensiveCarry, requires much of your personal information in order to be submitted. Since the source of the ...

Thread: Florida Open Carry petition

Warning: This website link, not a part of DefensiveCarry, requires much of your personal information in order to be submitted. Since the source of the website is unknown, please consider the implications. You are all adults and can make up your own mind but I would not provide this information unless I was sure of what the information was going to be used for. - Bumper

Restoration of the Right to Openly Carry Firearms in Florida Petition
    Glock 26
    SA XD9 SC
    .223 Spike's Lower - RockRiver Upper
    GPS Defense Custom Sniper Rifle
    http://www.FLArms.com Florida Firearms Network

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar
    Already signed.
    “I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.”
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

I will probably get trashed for this, but... I will not sign it as it is written. I believe that even as minimal as the training is, one should have to have a CCW OR provide proof of adequate training before they should be allowed to open carry. The way I read it now all you need to do is purchase a gun and strap it on. I cannot go along with this.

I am very much in favor of open carry here in Florida and would like the law changed, but everyone needs some training to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Lycanfire View Post
    I will probably get trashed for this, but... I will not sign it as it is written. I believe that even as minimal as the training is, one should have to have a CCW OR provide proof of adequate training before they should be allowed to open carry. The way I read it now all you need to do is purchase a gun and strap it on. I cannot go along with this.

I am very much in favor of open carry here in Florida and would like the law changed, but everyone needs some training to do it.
    This is what Oklahoma just tried to do, make the CCW into a CCW/open carry license. The only thing that changes is the permit allows the person to carry however they want.
    "The right of the whole people, old and young, men, women and boys, and not militia only, to keep and bear arms of every description, not such merely as are used by the militia, shall not be infringed, curtailed, or broken in upon, in the smallest degree..."
    Nunn v. State GA 1848

Quote Originally Posted by Lycanfire View Post

Not supported by any substantive evidence from those states who allow OC without a permit.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

Signed. Basic training sounds like a good common sense prerequisite, but sadly I feel it would snowball into a asinine tool for the gun grabbers.

If something is being presented to FL legislators, #7 need to be rewritten 'their self'...????? Sheeeeesh!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

DC Founder
    I placed a warning in the original post for you all to consider before signing this petition. I don't want a load of "signer's remorse" emails after you start getting spammed or your identity gets stolen.....
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

Senior Member Array CCWFlaRuger's Avatar
    I'll sign, and I agree with the training. I am a CCW carrier, however, the way it is now, if I accdentally print, or reveal (ie bend over and but sticks out {no pun} or raise my arms and gun is exposed) I am in commision of a fellony, even though I am legally within my rights.
    "You will not rise to the occasion and you will not default to your level of training. You WILL ONLY default to the level of training you have mastered."
    -Ruger P345; LCP
    -Mossberg 590A1; Model 42
    -Phoenix Arms Raven

I didn't sign it, for various reasons...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by motoxer311 View Post
    Warning: This website link, not a part of DefensiveCarry, requires much of your personal information in order to be submitted. Since the source of the website is unknown, please consider the implications. You are all adults and can make up your own mind but I would not provide this information unless I was sure of what the information was going to be used for. - Bumper

Restoration of the Right to Openly Carry Firearms in Florida Petition
    I, personally, as a Florida resident find it unusual that the site is advertising a CANADIAN banner. Why would a Florida-based initiative have such ties. Very suspicious to me. I would NOT sign this.
    NRA, Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by CDRGlock View Post
    I, personally, as a Florida resident find it unusual that the site is advertising a CANADIAN banner. Why would a Florida-based initiative have such ties. Very suspicious to me. I would NOT sign this.
    The petition is hosted on "http://www.petitiononline.com/", that site uses google ads just like a lot of other sites and it is not a "Florida Site".

If you are suspicious, do some research to see if your suspicions are valid or unfounded.
    I'll have what the gentleman on the floor is having.

Executive Director, Florida Carry, Inc.
    Founder, Florida Open Carry Movement

TOF
    We have been carrying openly in Arizona since time one without a permission slip or mandatory training. Our streets are not and have not been running with blood.

I totally agree that it is desirable that every gun owner/user receive some basic training and most do. They may not obtain their training from Gunsite or any of the other big name organizations but most receive basics from family or friends prior to obtaining a gun.

Not too many years back we had pistol and rifle teams in our elementary and high schools. We need to re-establish them in all schools and given the nation wide danger to children from uncontrolled guns in the home, all children should receive basic handling and safety training as a normal part of elementary school. IMHO

Good luck in your OC efforts in Florida.
    "Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." - Thomas Jefferson

GM
    ” ... PLEASE enter your valid email address and click to let me see it so I can give you updates with this campaign ...”. And while you are there you perhaps can write your credit card number too . Sorry, I am not signing it
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

Distinguished Member Array tangoseal's Avatar
    It is a man's GOD GIVEN right to carry a firearm or any weapon for personal defense.

A permit to do so is just dictatorial permission to use those rights. I am a free man forced to live in a society of sheep. I do what I can do protect my sheep family members from the wolves who feast on wool.

Those that required weapons training will probably remain sheep and therefore never obtain a weapon. Those that do acquire a weapon will fall under the responsible duty of family to properly train that member.

If we followed our constitution we would have mandated training during the early years of ones life.
    "I believe that the right of the citizen to keep and bear arms must not be infringed if liberty in America is to survive." - Ronald Reagan

Links