Florida Open Carry Event, Saturday July 3rd

This is a discussion on Florida Open Carry Event, Saturday July 3rd within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; i wish i had gas money and money for a fishing license...id so be there good luck with the event...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Florida Open Carry Event, Saturday July 3rd

i wish i had gas money and money for a fishing license...id so be there good luck with the event
    S&W M&P40/M&P9c OC rigs
    S&W 640-1 or Sig P238 as a CC rig
    proud www.georgiacarry.org member
    Second Amendment Foundation Life member

2. Remove Ads

Good luck with everything! I havent been saltwater fishing in almost 8 years.... Makes me wish I had the money to come down there just to fish!
    BETTER TO BE TRIED BY 12 THAN CARRIED BY 6
    Hesitation kills faster than a bullet.
    If your head is up your *$$ you are unaware of danger. You are in the perfect position to kiss it goodbye.
    Open Carry LAW for Pennsylvania
    http://www.thecrimsonpirate.com/rtkb...pdate_2009.pdf

There are grills on site. If someone else will bring soda and chips, I'll bring burgers.

Just need to get a headcount.
    I'll have what the gentleman on the floor is having.

Executive Director, Florida Carry, Inc.
    Founder, Florida Open Carry Movement

I met with the Port Orange PD today to make sure that we are all on the same page; Everything went very well and I'm sure we will have a great day.
    As long as you are fishing and remain in the general fishing area you are OK to open carry. No problem if we need to run to the restroom or want to put some burgers on the grill there near the peer. Open carry is also fine directly on the way to and from where you will be fishing. Making a pit-stop at walmart or going inside the gas station would be treated as a detour and result in a less pleasant day.
    The Port Orange PD did recommend arriving early to make sure we get good parking spots. As always, expect a parking ticket if you illegally park at the port orange causeway park.

I've started a meet-up group to help keep us coordinated. Please join up. Florida Open Carry (Port Orange, FL) - Meetup.com

Good News! Effective July 1, 2010 the Saltwater Shoreline Fishing license, which is available only to residents, is a no cost license.

if its no cost why waste money having a license?
    S&W M&P40/M&P9c OC rigs
    S&W 640-1 or Sig P238 as a CC rig
    proud www.georgiacarry.org member
    Second Amendment Foundation Life member

Quote Originally Posted by rmodel65 View Post
    if its no cost why waste money having a license?
    I wondered that myself. It turns out that having a state license keeps the federal government from forcing another federal program on the state.

Initially the license was going to be canceled but they kept it and made it free to keep the feds out.

It looks like we may be getting some press for this. Smile for the camera!

Florida State Representative Dorthy Hukill will be coming out to join us tomorrow if the weather holds.

Even with the weather forecast being on the wet side we still had a total turnout of about 15 people. Everything went very well and the exchange with the News Journal reporter seemed positive.

Expect more events in Melbourne, Lake County, Jacksonville, and Orlando.

Florida Open Carry aims for change in gun laws - News

Florida Open Carry aims for change in gun laws

Special to The News-Journal
    July 4, 2010 12:05 AM

Sean Caranna, founder of Florida Open Carry, fishes Saturday one of few places people may carry unconcealed guns. N-J photo

PORT ORANGE -- Sean Caranna didn't pull his .40-caliber pistol while he fished Saturday morning at Dunlawton Causeway Park.
    Nearby, Karl Brown didn't draw the 9mm strapped to his waist. Kevin Green didn't even touch his .357 revolver, holstered on his right hip.

But all three men, proud gun owners and members of the grass-roots organization Florida Open Carry, were openly armed at the pier at 9 a.m., part of their campaign to restore the right to carry an unconcealed firearm anytime in Florida.

"If you don't fight for the rights you got, you lose 'em all," Brown, a Deltona gun owner, said before he started fishing.

The fishing pier represents one of the few places people may carry unconcealed firearms in Florida, where state law essentially prohibits open carrying. The law has a few exceptions, including an allowance for people who are target shooting, hunting, fishing or camping (or traveling to or from one of those activities) to openly carry a gun.

"It's pretty much been interpreted as directly to and from," Caranna said. "If you make a stop at Walmart on the way to pick up bait, well, you're not fishing."

Thus you'd be breaking the law with a gun on your hip. But Caranna, the organization's founder and a former Army infantryman, contends that limit (similar laws are on the books in Texas and Illinois) infringes on his constitutional right to bear arms.

A Florida concealed carry permit costs $112 plus the cost of fingerprinting, which Caranna equates to a sort of poll tax -- a fee to exercise a guaranteed right.

Saturday's fishing event was a small Independence Day weekend celebration, with the three men on one pier and a few others who Caranna said showed up later at another pier nearby. Two Port Orange police officers stationed themselves in the parking lot -- Caranna requested them -- in case an alarmed passer-by called 911 to report there were gunmen fishing. One officer politely declined to comment on the open carry issue.

Brown, who said his wife recently was mugged in an Orlando mall parking lot, said the seconds it takes to retrieve and aim a concealed firearm can be costly during a confrontation with an attacker, and "in this county, you can get a pizza delivered faster than 9-1-1 response."

The Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence has opposed open-carry movements across the U.S. and recently opened a petition to demand coffee giant Starbucks ban guns in all its shops.

The campaign's website describes open carrying as "inherently threatening and intimidating," especially in retail stores where other customers see a gun and call police, "creating a volatile and potentially dangerous situation."

Caranna said absent gun permits, background checks during the firearm purchasing process keep criminals and people who have been deemed mentally incompetent from owning guns.

"Today we got lucky. Today we got to carry a cop," Caranna said, nodding toward the officers. When they're not at your side, he said, "you take the wrong turn down the wrong street, you're going to be real inadequate."

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    "in this county, you can get a pizza delivered faster than 9-1-1 response."

Brother, ain't that the truth! Glad to see your "demonstration" went well. With all those guns arounds, I can't believe no one got shot. ;-)
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Cool

I am not going to comment on the speed of a 911 call anywhere but in my jurisdiction and the surrounding county and cities in the area. If it is a 911 call and our officers are all involved with other high priority calls then units in surrounding jurisdictions will respond either to the call or to releave our officers so that they can respond. In the last several years the only times that this has happened is when we needed additional officers to set up perimeters for high priority calls. I have heard of 911 calls in large cities and rural areas where long response times may occur but i can tell you that in Palm Beach, Martin and Indian River Counties in Florida this is not the case. That said I am a staunch supporter of 2-A and believe that all law abiding citizens should have the right to be armed for self defense. Even a rapid response to a 911 call takes time that the victim may not have.
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

I explained that even though we had officers within sight of us; they would never be able to defend me from an attacker at that range. But I'm sure they would call me an ambulance and arrest the the bad guy.

I guess if we got to select what quotes they use from the interview it would just be a press release.

Teleprompters for everyone!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links