Small LEO OC Encounter

This is a discussion on Small LEO OC Encounter within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; First off, this was my 3rd traffic stop in 6 weeks, all 3 were BS and all 3 officers were unpleasant to deal with... So ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Small LEO OC Encounter

Small LEO OC Encounter

First off, this was my 3rd traffic stop in 6 weeks, all 3 were BS and all 3 officers were unpleasant to deal with...

So last Sunday, we were heading home from camping, I drive through the small town of Cougar WA, there is a small rest stop in a gravel parking lot, directly next to the rest stop is the Skamania County Sheriffs Building (Oddly enough, the Skamania County line is a few miles up the road). Anyways we all pull into the rest stop. I'm open carrying my EAA Witness Elite Match 10mm. As we're leaving the parking lot, I'm doing maybe 20MPH, the sheriff steps out of the building and flags me over to him.

Cop: You need to slow down!

Me: Yes sir.

Cop: Let me see your licence!

*I reach for my licence*

Cop: Shut the engine off!

Me: Yes sir!

Cop: Come inside!

Me: You do realize I'm open carrying a weapon, right?

Cop: Well you better not bring it in here or I'll shoot you!

Me: So do you want me to take it off?

Cop: That would be a good idea.

So I disarm then also clear the weapon since my passenger was not 21 and of course does not have a CPL.

Cop: And bring your pistol license too.

Me: Got it.

So he calls dispatch and runs my license

Cop: Have you paid all your tickets?

Me: I don't have any tickets...

Cop: what were you going so fast for?

Me: I didn't think I was going that fast..

Cop: I've got too much <> to do without having to deal with you, slow <> down!

Me: Yes sir.

What I realized soon after is that after I pulled in to the rest stop, my friend pulled up in his Tahoe going much faster than I was and drifted in the gravel a bit, both our rigs have loud V8s, and I think this cop mistook his Tahoe for my Dakota...

Either way, this encounter was unpleasant.
    Last edited by CopperKnight; May 21st, 2010 at 08:47 AM. Reason: expletive workarounds deleted
    "You can't stop insane people from doing insane things by passing insane laws."-Penn Jillette

2. Remove Ads

Well, you're lucky, he did not shoot you!

I'd say a 'good' encounter.
    If our lives are endangered by plots or violence or armed robbers or enemies, any and every method of protecting ourselves is morally right.” -- Cicero

I believe that cop has been in here... Beware of the Doghouse or here... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_6D6e...eature=related ...and he was taking it out on you!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

It turned out Ok, but according to your report of the dialogue; it was a very unprofessional cop. He could've been to the point, without threatening you and using vulgarity.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    He threatened to SHOOT you for LAWFULLY carrying a firearm?!?!?!?!?!?!?! You need to complain and get his badge taken away, he SHOULD NOT be on the force. Someone wearing a badge with their gun should have much much more professionalism than that. As a security guard, I would be fired for that, and possible arrested, much less a law enforcement officer who is sworn to PROTECT and serve. His behind should not be in a squad car

P.S. To the LEO's on here, thanks for not acting like that officer does. You are all the kind of officers that should be on our streets protecting us. I hope no police officers here where I live would act like that
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

Quote Originally Posted by zacii View Post
    It turned out Ok, but according to your report of the dialogue; it was a very unprofessional cop. He could've been to the point, without threatening you and using vulgarity.
    Yeah on the first of my last 3 traffic stops the officer said "I don't know what you think you know" in response to me schooling him on how RADAR and LIDAR works...
    Quote Originally Posted by INccwchris View Post
    He threatened to SHOOT you for LAWFULLY carrying a firearm?!?!?!?!?!?!?! You need to complain and get his badge taken away, he SHOULD NOT be on the force. Someone wearing a badge with their gun should have much much more professionalism than that. As a security guard, I would be fired for that, and possible arrested, much less a law enforcement officer who is sworn to PROTECT and serve. His behind should not be in a squad car

P.S. To the LEO's on here, thanks for not acting like that officer does. You are all the kind of officers that should be on our streets protecting us. I hope no police officers here where I live would act like that
    It may have been a joke although from his tone it was hard to tell, and in all fairness it is illegal to carry in a police station AFAIK... He never mentioned anything else about me wearing a gun...
    Last edited by SIXTO; May 22nd, 2010 at 12:04 AM. Reason: language work around-removed it
    "You can't stop insane people from doing insane things by passing insane laws."-Penn Jillette

Distinguished Member Array Spec's Avatar

NRA Certified Rifle/Pistol Instructor
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G18CFw0lnD8

Accuracy ALWAYS WINS! So carry what you can hit with.

If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics stink.

He threatened to SHOOT you for LAWFULLY carrying a firearm?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

P.S. To the LEO's on here, thanks for not acting like that officer does. You are all the kind of officers that should be on our streets protecting us.
    Opening the can of worms ...

I've never been as pissed of the 'unprofessional" cops out there as I'm with the "good" ones that let this all slide. They know what's going on and choose to remain silent; thus aiding and abetting ...

Every department would be clean withing months should the 'good" cops take action. Now they're part of the 'thin-blue-line-of-defenders-of-bad-cops -- you know, those who threaten to blow law-abiding citizens' head off and occasionally go for it when rape with a flashlight is not an option.

Thus, you all - good and bad - earn your reputation as part of team of 'them' -- unfortunately.

That must be frustrating, spending 20 to 30 years trying to do the right thing.

Yup, my son is a cop and as guilty as the rest of them.
    If our lives are endangered by plots or violence or armed robbers or enemies, any and every method of protecting ourselves is morally right.” -- Cicero

First off, this was my 3rd traffic stop in 6 weeks, all 3 were BS and all 3 officers were unpleasant to deal with...

Yeah on the first of my last 3 traffic stops the officer said "I don't know what you think you know" in response to me schooling him on how RADAR and LIDAR works...

are you a magnet for this?
    "all 3 were BS"
    remove the neon sign that says, "pull me over."
    Last edited by SIXTO; May 22nd, 2010 at 12:05 AM. Reason: removed quoted lang. workaround
    "I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution, which granted a right to Congress of expending, on objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents." -1792, James Madison
    There are always too many Democratic, Republican and never enough U.S. congressmen.

Quote Originally Posted by tbrenke View Post

are you a magnet for this?
    "all 3 were BS"
    remove the neon sign that says, "pull me over."
    I guess in these past 6 weeks I am.. I've been driving for 5 years, first time I was pulled over was 3 years after I got my license, then once again about 8 months later, both of those officers were professional and courteous, these last 3 stops, not so much.

Quote Originally Posted by HahnsXD View Post
    Small LEO OC Encounter
    Small can be unpleasant, or downright ugly. Sounds like he'd had a rough day.

Small or not, it seems he threatened to shoot you, or threatened that he could/would if you ticked him off any more than he'd allow. It's irrelevant how bummed one gets during the day, this is the sort of thing that's simply not tolerable, even said jokingly.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I don't think the cop "threatened to shoot" you. He might have made a stupid, flip remark, but he didn't "threaten to shoot" you. He may have been a jerk, but that's all. I suppose you can report him for that if you want.
    For God so loved the world that He gave his only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him, should not perish, but have everlasting life.
    John 3:16 (NKJV)

VIP Member
    Sorry about your bad luck.

It looks like something is attracting leo's to you, try to figure out what that is, and you'll likely avoid BS stops and unpleasant officers.

As they say, "an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure".

Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Sounds like his attitude and remarks need to be addressed at his superior's level.
    He could have "arrested" you, and that would have been the proper, non-threatening reply. Nothing worst than a cop with a cop attitude. It's time for a hiatus when they get that way.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by CajunBass View Post
    I don't think the cop "threatened to shoot" you. He might have made a stupid, flip remark, but he didn't "threaten to shoot" you. He may have been a jerk, but that's all. I suppose you can report him for that if you want.
    Quote Originally Posted by HahnsXD View Post
    Cop: Well you better not bring it in here or I'll shoot you!
    Did you or I miss something?

You okay with a cop telling you “I’ll shoot you!?”

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links