Indiana open carry question

This is a discussion on Indiana open carry question within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I live in Tennessee and here in West Tennessee, at least my area (Shelby County) open carry is not at all uncommon. The Shelby Co. ...

Thread: Indiana open carry question

I live in Tennessee and here in West Tennessee, at least my area (Shelby County) open carry is not at all uncommon. The Shelby Co. Sheriffs Department are well aware of the legality of open carry and I have interacted with many Deputies while open carrying.

I am interested to find out what the general attitude is towards open carry in my home state of Indiana. I was born and raised in Indiana and left when I was 18, right out of high school, into the US Navy. It has been 24 years since I lived there. And since I was just a young lad of 18 when I left, I have never had an Indiana carry permit.

But, we are moving back home. In fact, I leave Monday to head up there. It's sooner than I thought it would be because the jackass I did work for decided that since I was giving them 2 weeks notice yesterday, as is required and expected, they would just go a head and terminate me today. I'm not really mad about it mind you, I hated the place. It was by far the worst TV station I have ever worked at or even been inside. (It was WHBQ TV FOX 13 in Memphis by the way)

So, the place I was going to start at on June 8th in Indianapolis, told me to come on up and start on May 26th instead! Already sounds like the new place is 100% better than where I just left.

Anyway, I got off subject here, I want the members in Indiana to tell me the procedure for getting my permit, how much does it cost, what is the attitude towards OC by the general public and LEO's? Tell me everything. I'm coming home to be a Hoosier.

Thanks!
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Hi Mike,
    Good news and bad news!
    First good news. 4 year or lifetime permit available! Permit is a carry permit! Applys to both open or concealed carry! No need to inform LEO. Castle doc in effect. Cost is about $140.00 total for fees for lifetime which is what I applied for! No classes required just apply!!!
    Bad News... I applied on 3-9-10 and still waiting! Called Indi State Police who said about 10 weeks turnaround time from the time your check cleared so for me I am hoping to see permit soon. Website says 60 days turnaround... whatever! Some states do not honor Ind. permit.

Overall it is all good in Ind once permit is in hand.

Indiana calls it a "license to carry a handgun".

Indiana Code 35-47-2

IC 35-47-2-1
    Carrying a handgun without a license or by person convicted of domestic battery
    Sec. 1. (a) Except as provided in subsection (b) and section 2 of this chapter, a person shall not carry a handgun in any vehicle or on or about the person's body, except in the person's dwelling, on the person's property or fixed place of business, without a license issued under this chapter being in the person's possession.

The Indiana code does not address the mode of carry, that is concealed or open. For that reason, open carry is perfectly legal. Bear in mind that anyone may call in a "man with a gun" complaint, but that's part of open carry. It's entirely up to you. The link above details the requirements for obtaining the license to carry, and some Indiana counties allow applying online, but I don't have a list of them handy.

Hope things work out for you job-wise........

Related Indiana Codes.....

http://www.in.gov/legislative/ic/code/title35/ar47/
    NRA Life Member ... Marine Corps League Life Member
    Freedom has a flavor the protected can never taste...
    USMC 8652, 2531, RVN Jun '67, - May 69

Some of my toys....

You can apply as soon as you get your IN DL! I did when I moved back, got my DL, then drove to the Columbus PD, and applied, no time restriction!

OC is still a little touchy here, for years LEOs would tell you to cover up and people did though it is legal not to. It was like a unwritten law, but in the past few years, more and more have been OCing so the word is spreading. We have a long way to go, that's for sure.

Where you live will make a difference also, but you will most likely get hassled more here than TN I'm afraid.

Just know the laws, if you are harassed by a LEO, file a complaint, follow through, and the PD will let theirs officers know it is legal. Good luck!

BTW, welcome back home, good luck with new job, I think you will like IN, we are still very gun friendly! Proud to have you back, "Hoosier"!
    Kahr CW9
    Sig P239/9mm
    Ruger LC9 (when the girlfriend lets me carry her gun)

"First Duty is To Remember"

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    Mike, there is a website that you can file online, here it is Application for Handgun License You may have to copy and paste it into the browser window, but it is the online application. Once the application has been sent in, you have 30 days to get a 75 dollar money order for the state and a 50 dollar money order for the county. Take both money orders into the city county building, (if you are carrying on your Tennesee permit, leave gun in car, there is not a place to check your weapon.) once in the main building, turn to the left and head down past the elevators. The permit application place is on the right. Go in, get your application that u already filled out. Sign it. Get fingerprinted. Sign it. Hand over money orders. Leave. Get Permit in about 6 weeks, thats how long mine took, 44days vs the 180 that it was at when i applied. Yeah, much better. Untill then, i belive you can carry on your Tennessee license
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

Distinguished Member Array Pro2A's Avatar
    A few years ago I OCed in Indiana when I was visiting Kentucky. We went across the river and never had an issue. We even encountered a LEO at the local gas station. He just nodded his head and went to his patrol car, never said a word about the gun. This is just one instance tho, but I would imagine the OC atmosphere in IN is good :)

Well in the Indianapolis area OC is very uncommon. Other than gun store imployees I have yet to see someone OC in the greater Indy area.
    "The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." -Edmund Burke

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    airborne, i usually OC around downtown and the southside, if u see someone with an XDM in a Serpa, or a leather rig, its probbabley me, especially if they are getting out of a chevy silverado
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

Links