I got MWAG'd yesterday evening.

This is a discussion on I got MWAG'd yesterday evening. within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I remember reading that a few car salesmen have been robbed while out on a test drive, car stolen etc. I understand their concern. Still, ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I got MWAG'd yesterday evening.

VIP Member
    I remember reading that a few car salesmen have been robbed while out on a test drive, car stolen etc. I understand their concern.

Still, what a pain. You did well to keep your cool.
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

2. Remove Ads

Where was this dealership? It wasn't Rocky's was it. I think there are
    a few places that don't like open carry. But they are around Denver.
    I am surprised at the attention you got. Most officers I know care less about having a gun. I get careless with my cover
    at times. When it gets real hot I take off my cover shirt.
    See you around Sticks

Semoer Fi

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 64zebra View Post
    as I understand it....CO does allow OC except Denver
    evidently their local ordinances are allowed since there the state law doesn't trump local (preemption), someone from CO correct me if I'm wrong
    CO had complete state preemption but was recently overturned by CO state legislature. Open carry is now prohibited in Denver.
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

drw
    Thats the #1 reason I don't open carry.

Quote Originally Posted by Sticks View Post
    The overwhelming urge to tell my wife that under absolutely no circumstances is she going to dictate to me how I carry is still present...choose your battles.

FWIW, I am very open about the fact that my wife is the only person, other than myself, that has a say so in whether I carry OC or CC. Either way I am carrying a firearm for our protection, so that's the important part. I like to OC for the educational factor, and I'm willing to put up with the occasional, though rare, hassle. My wife is not so willing. I occasionally OC with her, but it's probably 99% CC with her. I have a great marriage and to be totally honest, how I carry will never be an argument for us as long as I have a CCP. Just sayin.

The most important part is being able to protect me and my family. Anything else is secondary and not something I am willing to argue with my wife about. When I am out by myself or just the kids I OC 95% of the time.

Glad it worked out decent on the LEO's part.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

First thing I would have done, soon as the manager stuck his fat head in the window and told me I'd have to leave my weapon in "my" vehicle, I would have informed him that our business was concluded, that I will take my business somewhere else. If some other customer noticed your weapon and mentioned it to the manager, whom he himself said he has a ccw, he should know better.

I think you did fine not raising a stink with the LEO, but I would have gotten his name, badge number, etc, and contacted his supervisor asap about the incident and made sure that he and the rest of the sheriff office gets educated on state law.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

Quote Originally Posted by 64zebra View Post
    as I understand it....CO does allow OC except Denver
    evidently their local ordinances are allowed since there the state law doesn't trump local (preemption), someone from CO correct me if I'm wrong

Denver has "homerule" status and isn't under preemption they also have an AWB. the rest of Colorado has preemption. I OC in Co Springs frequently

Quote Originally Posted by BkCo1 View Post
    Where was this dealership? It wasn't Rocky's was it. ...
    Ooohhhhh....You're good, or you were there. 1000 odd dealerships and car lots in the Denver metro area and you pulled that one out of your hat???

I even looked over all the signage on the main entrance (which I never do) looking for any "NO" signs when we first went in.

As posted - Colorado has the preemption law for everyone but Denver city and county. As far as I know that has been in place since we went Shall Issue in 2002.

Colorado also has no clear cut definition as to what is a concealed weapon and an openly carried one. That is one of those that starts with what the first responder determines or decides what it is, then it goes to the DA who makes the decision based on the report, then a Judge/Jury if it goes that far makes the final. My rig has only the grip and hammer showing. The belt line goes from where the trigger guard meets the grip to just forward of the safety on the slide.

The entire incident happened so fast that I did not have time to get into a discussion with the first manager, and the quoted discussion with the officer was the entire event. First manager ran off (for lack of a better description) and the officer did not look like he even wanted to talk about it. He looked more annoyed that he had to respond to the call than anything.

They have better things to do on that end of town then respond to a panic call when nothing is happening. If it weren't for the fact that that particular county is not very cooperative with the public, I'd request a copy of the 911 dispatch and the LEO report on the incident.

I agree that dispatch should be asking those types of questions (What is the subject with the gun doing? Where is the gun on his person? How is he acting - agitated, nervous, jumpy, calm..."

Oh well. I guess I'll find out in 2012 if it impacts my renewal.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

I got MWAG'd yesterday evening.

Officer: "You the guy with the gun?"
    Fairly ridiculous that we get MWAG calls like that. One would think that the Sheriff and Chief of Police are both intelligent, reasonably rational individuals, such that they could train their people to first, before anything else is done, identify in the call whether the MWAG is instead a MWAG who is acting violently, actively putting others at risk, or otherwise threatening people overtly. If not, then in any state that allows the legal carry of firearms it's pretty darned difficult to presume that anyone with a gun is likely to be a criminal.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    Fairly ridiculous that we get MWAG calls like that. One would think that the Sheriff and Chief of Police are both intelligent, reasonably rational individuals, such that they could train their people to first, before anything else is done, identify in the call whether the MWAG is instead a MWAG who is acting violently, actively putting others at risk, or otherwise threatening people overtly. If not, then in any state that allows the legal carry of firearms it's pretty darned difficult to presume that anyone with a gun is likely to be a criminal.
    I agree, but you/they have to respond...every time. America seems to thrive on "What if...".

I personally was embarrassed by the whole event, and was genuinely sorry that I wasted the responders time and gave them an unnecessary adrenalin dump.

Had I seen any of the spectators prior to the whole event looking panicked and making shaky phone calls, I probably would have called 911 myself and said "My name is Sticks, I am at "X" auto dealership on the 5200 block of "Y" street, I have a CCW and am open carrying my sidearm. There may be some other calls coming in right now about me as there appears to be a few people in panic mode. Here is my description and I will be waiting by the main parking entrance if you have officers in route." That might have saved some brain damage.
    Sticks

A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

I agree, but you/they have to respond...every time.
    No. They don't. That's the whole point. We have been weenie-fied, all the way to the core, and it has infected even our law enforcement folks. In a land with common legal public carry, not everyone needs to be checked on.

America seems to thrive on "What if...".
    Yes, there are fearful ninnies all over the place. Time for them to be put in their place, with some assistance. A simple education of the basic law over the phone during that purported MWAG call could do wonders. It could also avoid adrenaline dumps all around, by avoiding the needless knee-jerks.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    Yes, there are fearful ninnies all over the place. Time for them to be put in their place, with some assistance. A simple education of the basic law over the phone during that purported MWAG call could do wonders. It could also avoid adrenaline dumps all around, by avoiding the needless knee-jerks.

Now there's entertainment.

The responding officer to the scene gets on his PA...

Attention everyone. May I have your attention please.

As some of you may know I am here responding to a "Man with a gun call". In Colorado, the open carrying of handguns by those citizens who are legally allowed to own one, are over the age of 18, and have no felony criminal history. This gentleman has not broken any laws and is within his rights to carry a firearm in public. The only exception to this law in Denver city and county where you must have a Concealed Weapons Permit, and the weapon must be concealed.

Nothing else to see here, move along.

Atención todos. ¿Puedo tener su atención por favor.

Como algunos de ustedes saben que estoy aquí respondiendo a un hombre "con una llamada gun". En Colorado, la realización abierta de armas de fuego por los ciudadanos que están legalmente autorizados a poseer uno, están sobre la edad de 18 años, y no tienen antecedentes penales delito grave. Este señor no ha quebrantado ninguna ley y es en su derecho de llevar un arma de fuego en público. La única excepción a esta ley en la ciudad de Denver y el condado donde usted debe tener un permiso de porte de armas, y el arma se debe disimular.

Nada más que ver aquí, sigue adelante.
    Sticks

See also Sheep

I still OC on occasion, but I have noticed that it has become less often...and it hasn't been a conscious decision or effort. Perhaps it is just the subconscious not wanting a hassle factor. I still do sometimes, I support it, and I think there needs to be more education to the general public about the legality of it. Glad it worked out OK for you....I think I would have had to laugh to myself about all of the resources displaced over a citizen legally carrying and not causing anyone any grief.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

VIP Member
    IMO, the LEO encounter should have never happened, but, it wasn't a bad one. Glad you came out un-scathed.

Stay safe, OC when you want (when legal), I do.

Sigmanluke
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

I am so glad I live in AZ

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links