I got MWAG'd yesterday evening. - Page 3

I got MWAG'd yesterday evening.

This is a discussion on I got MWAG'd yesterday evening. within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Sticks I I personally was embarrassed by the whole event, and was genuinely sorry that I wasted the responders time and gave ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: I got MWAG'd yesterday evening.

Quote Originally Posted by Sticks View Post
    I

I personally was embarrassed by the whole event, and was genuinely sorry that I wasted the responders time and gave them an unnecessary adrenalin dump ."

You didn't

Quote Originally Posted by tkruf View Post
    First thing I would have done, soon as the manager stuck his fat head in the window and told me I'd have to leave my weapon in "my" vehicle, I would have informed him that our business was concluded, that I will take my business somewhere else. If some other customer noticed your weapon and mentioned it to the manager, whom he himself said he has a ccw, he should know better.

I think you did fine not raising a stink with the LEO, but I would have gotten his name, badge number, etc, and contacted his supervisor asap about the incident and made sure that he and the rest of the sheriff office gets educated on state law.

Agreed wholeheartedly on all points.

I OC frequently throughout CO (except of course Denver which I avoid for many reasons) and have never had an "encounter".

Under the circumstances, it seems you got yourself off "light". Sounds like a downer ending to your day.
    That which does not kill us leaves us broken and bleeding...

Donít mess with the guy who can barely stand up. His remaining options for self-defense don't include your survival.

Convenire Volui Spectatus

Sticks....is that area westminster or unincorporated Adams county...which pd showed up...
    also maybe you should drop Tom Martino a quick note as he is always carrying and has a permit and does a lot of work with Rocky's.
    maybe he can let the dealorship know what is right or wrong about this situation....
    I am up in Thornton and there are times that they come down on open carry also even tho it is allowed in the state.
    Glock 23
    Beretta 92fs
    Ruger Mark 3
    S&W 642
    Looking

Quote Originally Posted by denverbear View Post
    Sticks....is that area westminster or unincorporated Adams county...which pd showed up...
    also maybe you should drop Tom Martino a quick note as he is always carrying and has a permit and does a lot of work with Rocky's.
    maybe he can let the dealorship know what is right or wrong about this situation....
    I am up in Thornton and there are times that they come down on open carry also even tho it is allowed in the state.
    Given that all the responding patrol cars were Adams County, I am betting it is unincorporated Adams county. The two cruisers sitting in the lot across the street...I don't know I did not get a good look, they might have been city police and Federal is the boundary - READ West side of Federal is city, East side is unincorp county.

As for "education" of the Sheriffs dept or the Dealership... Since I was not hassled, lectured (other than the parting words - "Keep it concealed"), detained excessively or charged/ticked by the LEO, nothing really worth pursuing there. The dealership...if they had a vehicle I wanted then I may think about it. They didn't ask me to leave, only store the weapon in my vehicle if I was going on a test drive. There was no other conversation or time for one as the Sheriff showed up before I could respond further.

I am basing this all on my appearance and method of carry. Had I been a little better kept and carrying in a decent OWB holster instead of my IWB @ 4:00 with only the grip showing then I might. On the other hand the whole incident many not have happened if I had been dressed in better cloths, recently shaved and a decent holster.

I know appearances are important, and that is the reason I don't go hitting car lots dressed nice...that and I don't want to ruin nice clothes as I am doing a detailed vehicle inspection looking for what the kid with the pressure washer missed under the hood.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

I bought a new car in back Oct while OC. Had they even hinted the I needed to hide and/or disarm I would have not only said no but hell no and walked off. There are plenty of car dealers out there hurting for sales. However, I will never apologize for exercising my rights especially to a LEO who should know better.
    Assault is a behavior, not a device!!
    OneBigAssMistakeAmerica
    The community organizer who hates it when his policies meet an organized community.

+1 to you Sticks.

Currently I can only OC as I am still waiting for my CC permit. I OC daily as well. That said, I think you handled the incident well.

For myself, I won't argue the law with any LEO responding to a MWAG call about me as it just doesn't seem worth it.

NC is an OC and a Shall Issue state and so far I haven't had a problem yet (except for my wife being a bit concerned about what others think or if I will be the subject of a MWAG call ) as most LEO's support OC.

However there are some local PD's that just seem to hassle OC'ers. Oddly enough, those towns are centers where mainly ex-New Yorkers (I'm an ex-NY guy since 2005) live, as well as folks from other uptight northern areas, which likely contributes greatly to the LEO's handling of OC.

I won't argue the law with the LEO's because they aren't judges/lawyers and, to be blunt about it, they often don't care about the actual laws or the intent of them. I'd only be letting myself in for more trouble by arguing.

I would just ask two questions when speaking to the LEO:

1. Am I being detained?

If not...

2. Am I free to leave?

If yes, then I leave. Feels like life is just easier that way for all parties.

If the problem was/is something related to a policy that violates 2A or State laws, then I can work on contacting whomever I need to in order to work on resolving it if at all possible. If every OC'er were to do that then the odds are greater that the sheeple just might learn something in a constructive manner.

Just offering my .02 and a salute.
    Life is NOT like a box or chocolates. It's like a jar of jalapenos... what you do today can burn your butt tomorrow.

Why be armed? Because it's not the odds... it's the stakes

Denver is what they call a "Capital City" and as such was able to pass a No OC ordinance. However, there is no statute on CO books that says OC legal or not. So by default, OC is authorized in this state with the excepton of Denver and a few surrounding areas. It would be better if they put it into our statutes that OC was legal. That would get rid of any grey areas.

OC is not a problem down here in the Colorado Springs/Woodland Park area. I see it all the time. I tuck my shirt behind my OWB while I drive and occasionally get out of the car forgetting to pull the shirt back over my gun and I never have had any issues. The Denver area is real fussy about firearms but once you get away from there things change.

Angry mwag

meat head stoner neighbor pulls up blows horn 4 3-5 minutes go yell knock it off [choice words] he gets out 4 screaming match/confrontation [its 10:30 pm] he comes at me at a dead run screaming at me. tells me I used N-word at him , didn't ! said screw it called cops .tell dispatch the deal,she ask any weapons, i say yes i have carry permit and am carrying,told her did not show it , meat head hears cops coming mellows out. I go in house change into sweats take gun off, cops arrive, go talk to meat head 1st instead of me complainant, come to my house i answerdoor they tell me to step outside i comply, meat head and buddies sitting on stoop across street, cop wants to know am i carring i say no am clean get patted down any [embarassing in front of meat head & crew] get whole lecture about concealed carry, told cops Mn not concealed carry just permit tocarry, got told if cops see me open carry their going to arrest me for disturbing the peace they said cty attorney probably wouldn't prosecute but i'd have a .hassle to get my gun back!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by jweiss View Post
    meat head stoner neighbor pulls up blows horn 4 3-5 minutes go yell knock it off [choice words] he gets out 4 screaming match/confrontation [its 10:30 pm] he comes at me at a dead run screaming at me. tells me I used N-word at him , didn't ! said screw it called cops .tell dispatch the deal,she ask any weapons, i say yes i have carry permit and am carrying,told her did not show it , meat head hears cops coming mellows out. I go in house change into sweats take gun off, cops arrive, go talk to meat head 1st instead of me complainant, come to my house i answerdoor they tell me to step outside i comply, meat head and buddies sitting on stoop across street, cop wants to know am i carring i say no am clean get patted down any [embarassing in front of meat head & crew] get whole lecture about concealed carry, told cops Mn not concealed carry just permit tocarry, got told if cops see me open carry their going to arrest me for disturbing the peace they said cty attorney probably wouldn't prosecute but i'd have a .hassle to get my gun back!!!!!
    Don't start screaming matches when armed...
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

to the OP, your first mistake was going to Rocky's. I have never heard a good word spoken about that place. They are high pressure and the fact that they didn't listen to you when you told them what you were looking for is a good sign that they aren't good guys.

I could have sworn Rocky's was inside denver county, but i guess not. i'm more familiar with the eastern boundary of denver. I OC along that boundary all the time, taking pains to make sure that i am, in fact, in aurora. so far, no MWAG calls. i do expect it to happen at any moment.

i OC without a CCW permit. sometimes it makes me nervous but i have to remember that i have the law on my side and thats all i can do.

overall, i think your contact with the cops went as well as it could have, but i wouldn't shop at a place where the manager is hostile to his customers.

Quote Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
    I remember reading that a few car salesmen have been robbed while out on a test drive, car stolen etc. I understand their concern.

Still, what a pain. You did well to keep your cool.
    Isn't that a 2-way street...
    -----------------------------------------------------------------

To the OP...
    Glad it all worked, but sorry about the wife's reaction...those can be tough...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

this old man has been stopped 2 times since receiving permit. about 13-14 years. both times were by tn.state troopers. both and a Rhea count officer read me the riot act over how i carried my 1911 style 45. neither resulted in a ticket which i deserved. i think they got so upset about open carry and cocked and locked that they lost track. both taught carry classes and told me i couldnt carry the way i did. guess i could call it a good stop though. tickets would have been over 300 bucks total.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links