Ultimatum From the Rabbi

This is a discussion on Ultimatum From the Rabbi within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Better tell your Rabbi not to go to Israel then!...

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Ultimatum From the Rabbi

VIP Member
    Better tell your Rabbi not to go to Israel then!
    Tzadik likes this.
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

2. Remove Ads

+1 on the JPFO site so much info on the background of self defense and the Torah and also the talmud etc..being a christian i read up on their info since its facts taken from word of G-D
    S&W M&P40/M&P9c OC rigs
    S&W 640-1 or Sig P238 as a CC rig
    proud www.georgiacarry.org member
    Second Amendment Foundation Life member

ein brera

I'm sorry to hear about your situation. Rabbes can be stubborn regardless their wisdom.

I'm certain this congregation also is under the usual protection plan and that involves armed defense.

In the end, it all boils down to your own decision.

B'hatzlacha
    If our lives are endangered by plots or violence or armed robbers or enemies, any and every method of protecting ourselves is morally right.Ē -- Cicero

Quote Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
    Better tell your Rabbi not to go to Israel then!

HooYahhh!
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

If possible I would take Rabbi and his wife (who more than likely is the problem here) to the range and have a good time shooting.

Really work on teaching her to shoot well and watch the change as she learns she can project power in a very controlled way.
    NOT LIVING IN FEAR, JUST READY!!!
    I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness,
    nor the arrow for its swiftness,
    nor the warrior for his glory.
    I love only that which they defend.
    -J.R.R. Tolkien

Many religions believe the "Higher Power" will protect them from all harm and the use of firearms is unecessary. Not to show disrespect to any faith, but I would almost be willing to bet the people of the Islamic faith often carry firearms into the Mosque for protection.

Why is it so hard for those of other faiths, ie Judaism, Christianity etc. to understand we have the right of self defense and need the tools available to do so. I fully believe in and trust God in my Christian way, but He gave me a brain and the ability to know what to do in case I need to take self defense into my own hands.

I hope your Rabbi understands you and why you feel this way. Shalom!
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Sometimes, when differences in principles arise, you have to let friends go. If they're true friends, they'll come back.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Your response could not be more appropriate. For the sake of your relationship with the Rabbi, I hope an agreement can be reached.

To whomever, nice link to the JPFO...

That which does not kill us leaves us broken and bleeding...

Donít mess with the guy who can barely stand up. His remaining options for self-defense don't include your survival.

Convenire Volui Spectatus

Quote Originally Posted by paramedic70002 View Post
    1. Being comfortable is not a right, and certainly isn't covered by the US and VA Constitutions.

2. I hate to say it so bluntly, but 6 million Jews were not very comfortable being put to their deaths.

3. Warsaw ghetto, a handful of Jews with few weapons holds off the German army for what, a month? What if they all had been armed?

I would have less flattering things to say to anyone in his position who tried to coerce me to give up my gun.
    4. The Sobibor uprising.

5. The Bielski brothers.

At least a plurality of Jews I know are gun owners. Many have concealed carry credentials.

My Rabbi is a 63 Year Old Lady from L.A. who went to Berkley in the 1970's. After a brush with some Prison Ministry thugs who were actually caught casing our Temple, she finally saw the light so to speak. I taught her and her husband how to shoot one fine day last winter. :-)
    NEVER AGAIN!

Quote Originally Posted by jofrdo View Post
    We had been out one Friday night when the Rabbi wasn't present. The Rabbi knows the restaurant owner quite well. Rabbi started the conversation with the president with "I understand that you and jofrdo were in xyz restaurant the other night, both brandishing firearms." The president had to explain it wouldn't be brandishing unless we had our guns out waving them around in a threatening way. I think more than a little education is in order.
    I think you're right about your Rabbi in need of an education. When you're confronted with his position of you carrying a Firearm, please ask your Rabbi if he feels the very same way when he visits the State of Israel, where it is common to see everybody carrying some form of personal protection. See what he says, and then ask him what is the difference from there (Israel) and here? I wouldn't accept the "it's because they're in the Military" comment from him either.
    Just my .02 here and good luck
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

You have my sympathy. It's always difficult to deal with philosophical differences between the spiritual leader of a congregation and the senior lay leadership, whatever the faith - or the differences.

I was always happy to have members of my congregation carry in church. I did have a family once who threatened to leave if I didn't put a stop to two off-duty LEOs sitting armed at the rear of the sanctuary. I held the door open for them as I said I hoped they found somewhere safer to worship.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

Meaning no disrespect to your rabbi, I do not understand pacifist Jews at all. What part of "never again" is so hard to grasp? Of all religions, Jews should teach armed self-defense, not despise it. I know Aaron Zelman and he can be a wacko at times, but he's not wrong.

I'd be very interested to hear how this turns out. Good luck.

As a half practing Jew myself (Going to Temple of High Holidays but still fasting when /as I should) . I as well as a few others carry at Services, If something is going to happen, it would be when there is the largest group together. No permission needed from the Rabbi here in NY. But our Rabbi was in the Navy prior to becoming a Rabbi and I know him quite well. I am sure that he would not have a problem with people carrying. It is better protection for the herd.

P.S if G-d thought so strongly against carrying it would have been #11.

Let July 1 resolve your problem, sigh unseen.

Don't pres the conversation to occur...And leave it to him to confront you, or assume you got the word via the grapevine (he not _seeing_ you OC anymore).

As others stated he will be in for an eye opener upon making a pilgrimage to Israel, if he ever does so in this life.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Links