Police Encounter -Round Table Pizza- University Place, WA

This is a discussion on Police Encounter -Round Table Pizza- University Place, WA within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Hiram25 If open carry is legal, you should not get hassled for doing it. True, though the deputies in question showed which ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 41

Thread: Police Encounter -Round Table Pizza- University Place, WA

  1. #16
    VIP Member Array ccw9mm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    26,764
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiram25 View Post
    If open carry is legal, you should not get hassled for doing it.
    True, though the deputies in question showed which side of right they are on. Their opinions are very much against citizens carrying firearms. I fear for the upstanding citizens caught in their crosshairs, when they've got citizens in a spot of their own choosing. (Think Pennsylvania 3-4yrs ago, before their 'awakening.')

    It'll get better, but it's sad to see that a percentage of the officers in uniform still have problems with it, to the point it would affect how they engage with upstanding citizens. Sad.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

  2. Remove Ads

  3. #17
    Distinguished Member Array jumpwing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Washington
    Posts
    1,271
    Quote Originally Posted by Treo View Post
    I'm opinionated not blind.

    My general rule is "if I don't know you, don't talk to me." So, If I was a cop and an armed stranger went out of their way to interact W/ me, I 'd be a little bit cautious
    If I was a cop, I would probably be used to people treating me differently than some average stranger on the street. A cop can't go anywhere in public without being stared at, smiled at, greeted, nodded to, approached, murmured about, etc.; in other words, feeling noticed for better and for worse. It comes with the uniform.

    However, if I *know* I look like Joe Nobody, and some armed stranger goes out of his way to make contact, he'll definitely have my polite attention. Because, seriously, why is this guy approaching me?
    "The flock sleep peaceably in their pasture at night because Sheepdogs stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    cafepress.com/bgstudios

  4. #18
    Member Array swatspyder's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Washington
    Posts
    157
    Quote Originally Posted by Treo View Post
    I'm opinionated not blind.

    My general rule is "if I don't know you, don't talk to me." So, If I was a cop and an armed stranger went out of their way to interact W/ me, I 'd be a little bit cautious
    I'd rather say hi to someone when they look at my face, than ignore them completely...

  5. #19
    Member Array MN2Go's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    MN, U.S.A.
    Posts
    416
    Quote Originally Posted by Treo View Post
    I'm opinionated not blind.

    My general rule is "if I don't know you, don't talk to me." So, If I was a cop and an armed stranger went out of their way to interact W/ me, I 'd be a little bit cautious
    I'm sorry I caught you on a bad day, Treo, with my obviously poor attempt of humor. I apologize.

    I've been enjoying reading your contributions on many sites over the years, and I love your opinionated posts; this, as far as can recall, was the first you sided with the cops in a situation where a perfectly law-abiding citizen as going about his daily business.

    To address your points: I'm certain most cops expect us mere mortals to pay respect to them due to their uniform, gun, and badge. They are used to being acknowledged, saluted - and they love the "Sir."

    I pay attention to everybody around me. A firearm would raise my SA level immediately. I'm certain - again - the the level of cautiousness by the cop was a mere fraction of what I'd have felt, if he was any kind of professional.

    A young man OCing should not be any deal to professional cop with two colleagues ready to go.

    The whole story here is how the OP experienced the situation - not the coppers. The cop did fine in this situation. He acknowledged the OP and said hello.

    I try to avoid cop the best I can. I don't pay any attention to them, so it's always up to them to start ruining people's sunny days. When I OC, I behave as if I was CCing or not carrying at all.

    My daily life will not be affected by a few cops eating donuts or looking for targets to hassle.

    How long do we law-abiding citizens need to worry that some copper out-of-blue decides to break the law again and go after us when we are legally carrying a firearm? They have no excuse, and that is exactly what the highest courts of America have decided.

    Do they care? Nope. They're beyond the law. Lets not aid and abet them - let's not roll over. More important, let us not behave like subjects or slaves. We're free Americans!

    Yet, people are being stopped for merely walking the street, spread-eagled and threatened with, "Move and I'll blow you f-ing head off," "all gun-carrying people should be shot on sight," etc.

    To side with the law enforcement in these kinds of situations really sucks!
    If our lives are endangered by plots or violence or armed robbers or enemies, any and every method of protecting ourselves is morally right.” -- Cicero

  6. #20
    Ex Member Array Treo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    1,098
    Originally posted by MN2Go I'm sorry I caught you on a bad day, Treo, with my obviously poor attempt of humor. I apologize.
    I'm not offended or upset in the slightest by your post I apologize if I said something that made you think I was.

    Originally posted by MN2Go I'm certain most cops expect us mere mortals to pay respect to them due to their uniform, gun, and badge. They are used to being acknowledged, saluted - and they love the "Sir."
    It would never occur to me to open a conversation of any kind W/ a cop

  7. #21
    Ex Member Array Treo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    1,098
    Quote Originally Posted by swatspyder View Post
    I'd rather say hi to someone when they look at my face, than ignore them completely...

    I'd rather ignore someone completely(or appear to) when they look at my face, than say hi to them

  8. #22
    Member Array MN2Go's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    MN, U.S.A.
    Posts
    416
    Quote Originally Posted by Treo View Post
    It would never occur to me to open a conversation of any kind W/ a cop
    This sounds the Treo I've learned to enjoy to read and listen.

    Stay safe.
    If our lives are endangered by plots or violence or armed robbers or enemies, any and every method of protecting ourselves is morally right.” -- Cicero

  9. #23
    Member Array PaxMentis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    S. Oregon (aka Paradise)
    Posts
    356
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob P. View Post
    Da rulez:


    Plain as day right at the top of the page...
    I am aware of that.

    Possibly your post was aimed at the individual to whom I responded?
    Gun Control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound.

    -- L. Neil Smith

  10. #24
    Senior Member Array 2edgesword's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    653
    Quote Originally Posted by PaxMentis View Post
    I've reread the OP 3 times now and still find nothing that even touches on reasons for OCing as opposed to CCing...

    Maybe you could point me to that part? My aging eyes must be failing me.
    "This is not a place to debate the virtues of open vs concealed carry."

    Maybe this is a touchy subject (I don't know since I normally don't visit this section of the forum and OCing is out of the question where I live) but I wasn't looking to get into a debate about the pros and cons of OCing. However, after reading the OP and what appeared to be an expression of discomfort during the incident described, I was interested his reasoning given that discomfort to chose to OC anyway.
    Last edited by 2edgesword; May 25th, 2010 at 11:25 AM.
    Martial Blade Concepts, Jiu-Jitsu & Eskrima NRA, GOA, NYSRPA, LIF, Old Bethpage Rifle & Pistol Club

  11. #25
    VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Franklin, VA
    Posts
    5,135
    Completely off topic but since it was brought up...

    What is up with people who you meet, exchange eye to eye looks, give a friendly nod or greeting, and they continue to stare but ignore you? That is the height of rudeness in my book. It is so hard to nod or say hello? It's not like I'm going to ask your life history, I'm simply being polite. SOmething that apparently many people never learned. On the other hand, I instantly know who is not in need of any courtesy whatsoever should the need arise.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

    Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

  12. #26
    Member Array MN2Go's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    MN, U.S.A.
    Posts
    416
    Quote Originally Posted by paramedic70002 View Post
    Completely off topic but since it was brought up...

    ... I'm simply being polite.
    Sir, with all due respect, I think this should be the essence of every CCers /OCers character - being polite. It does not require much energy and always wins the day.
    If our lives are endangered by plots or violence or armed robbers or enemies, any and every method of protecting ourselves is morally right.” -- Cicero

  13. #27
    VIP Member Array Guantes's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Idaho
    Posts
    5,272
    It is not difficult to find some who have a lack of decorum, even here.

  14. #28
    Ex Member Array Treo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    1,098
    Quote Originally Posted by paramedic70002 View Post
    Completely off topic but since it was brought up...

    What is up with people who you meet, exchange eye to eye looks, give a friendly nod or greeting, and they continue to stare but ignore you? That is the height of rudeness in my book. It is so hard to nod or say hello? It's not like I'm going to ask your life history, I'm simply being polite. SOmething that apparently many people never learned. On the other hand, I instantly know who is not in need of any courtesy whatsoever should the need arise.
    Since this appears to be directed at me I will answer from my POV. W/out out going into a huge amount of tear jerking detail, I was abandoned by my parents at the age of 11 (actually dad was gone by the time I was nine). I do not remember anyone from my child hood who touched me W/ out hitting me. One of the first things you learn growing up under such circumstances is that no one can be trusted; no one is nice to you unless they want something and no one is your friend.

    Therefore, if I don’t know you well and you approach me or try to initiate contact W/ me in any way the shields go up and I go to at least defcon two. If you try to touch me it’s on. It took me six months to be able to fall asleep in the same bed W/ my wife and not freak out if she touched me.

    On the upside I never needed situational awareness training

    ETA This is also probably why (as I have stated numerous times on this forum) I feel absolutely no societal or moral obligaton to protect the "flock"

  15. #29
    Ex Member Array F350's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Rocky Mountain High in Colorado
    Posts
    1,706
    With a book in my right hand hanging down by my thigh (strong side), and nothing in my left hand, I passed by them.
    I rode on patrol with a sheriff's deputy buddy for 9 years; if I was with the deputies the first thing that would have flashed through my mind would be "Why is that guy attempting to hide his open sidearm??? What is he up to??" and remember I am a rabid 2nd amendment supporter and carried since I was 19. I try very hard to never have anything in my strong hand that would hinder a draw, so someone having their strong hand occupied and trying to hide their sidearm looks suspicious.

    I OC (when home) often. When approaching LEO I make NO attempt to "shield" my sidearm, IMHO it looks more suspicious when you try to hide it from them. I have had several look at sidearm, look me in the eye and we both nod and go about our business.

    The wife and I were eating our usual weekend breakfast in a local truck stop restaurant booth and since I NEVER sit with my back to the door my sidearm was toward the open side. 6 state troopers came in and sat at a large round table (set for 9, and all 6 sat down so no one had their back to the door, the wife noticed and gave me a little kick under the table and had a big smile) just to my right rear and they all noticed my sidearm but said nothing and I noticed a couple looking at it while we finished.

    As we stood up to leave one of the troopers leaned back in his chair and said "Excuse me sir. What is that you're carrying?" I explained it was a Para-Ordnance P-14, a double stack 1911 .45 and held 13 in the mag and 1 in the chamber, hence the P-14 designation. He said "I thought it was a 1911 but the magazine wasn't right. 14 round 1911 SWEET!" and we went on our way.

    As is often asked "Why do you open carry?" My answer is "Because I can."

  16. #30
    Member Array swatspyder's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Washington
    Posts
    157
    Quote Originally Posted by F350 View Post
    I rode on patrol with a sheriff's deputy buddy for 9 years; if I was with the deputies the first thing that would have flashed through my mind would be "Why is that guy attempting to hide his open sidearm??? What is he up to??" and remember I am a rabid 2nd amendment supporter and carried since I was 19. I try very hard to never have anything in my strong hand that would hinder a draw, so someone having their strong hand occupied and trying to hide their sidearm looks suspicious.

    I OC (when home) often. When approaching LEO I make NO attempt to "shield" my sidearm, IMHO it looks more suspicious when you try to hide it from them. I have had several look at sidearm, look me in the eye and we both nod and go about our business.

    The wife and I were eating our usual weekend breakfast in a local truck stop restaurant booth and since I NEVER sit with my back to the door my sidearm was toward the open side. 6 state troopers came in and sat at a large round table (set for 9, and all 6 sat down so no one had their back to the door, the wife noticed and gave me a little kick under the table and had a big smile) just to my right rear and they all noticed my sidearm but said nothing and I noticed a couple looking at it while we finished.

    As we stood up to leave one of the troopers leaned back in his chair and said "Excuse me sir. What is that you're carrying?" I explained it was a Para-Ordnance P-14, a double stack 1911 .45 and held 13 in the mag and 1 in the chamber, hence the P-14 designation. He said "I thought it was a 1911 but the magazine wasn't right. 14 round 1911 SWEET!" and we went on our way.

    As is often asked "Why do you open carry?" My answer is "Because I can."
    Nothing was ever hidden. My firearm was in plain view. Unless I am supposed to constantly have my forearm above the grip...






Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. Was I stupid to be so stubborn in this police encounter?
    By Spirit of 76 in forum Off Topic & Humor Discussion
    Replies: 39
    Last Post: September 8th, 2010, 06:47 PM
  2. Was I stupid to be so stubborn in this police encounter?
    By Spirit of 76 in forum Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: September 6th, 2010, 11:44 AM
  3. NYS ENCON Police encounter today.
    By rottkeeper in forum Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions
    Replies: 35
    Last Post: December 12th, 2009, 09:32 PM
  4. 1st open carry encounter with police
    By orangevol in forum Open Carry Issues & Discussions
    Replies: 49
    Last Post: June 28th, 2009, 10:36 PM
  5. Police posing as pizza driver kills teen
    By PaulG in forum In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly
    Replies: 36
    Last Post: March 28th, 2007, 05:44 PM

Search tags for this page

concealed carry university place wa
,

i hate round table pizza

,
lunch in university place wa
,

open carry police encounter

,
pizza university place
,

pizza university place wa

,
round table and university place, wa
,
round table pizza buffet university place
,

round table pizza university place

,

round table pizza university place wa

,
round table university place
,

round table university place wa

Click on a term to search for related topics.