Police Encounter -Round Table Pizza- University Place, WA

This is a discussion on Police Encounter -Round Table Pizza- University Place, WA within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Friday the 21st, my girlfriend and I went to go eat lunch at Round Table Pizza. As I pulled in, I noticed three patrol cars ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Friday the 21st, my girlfriend and I went to go eat lunch at Round Table Pizza. As I pulled in, I noticed three patrol cars parked in the lot. This spiked my confidence meter and had me nervous heading into the restaurant while openly carrying.

My girlfriend and I went in and purchased the lunch buffet meal, had no comment from any of the staff in the establishment, and had no contact with the three deputies eating by the front windows. Her and I walked to the back room area, around the back side where we passed by 3-4 small groups of people who were eating. None of them said anything.

After finishing our meal, we walked back to the front side to leave, but this time I had to pass the deputies with my strong side towards them. With a book in my right hand hanging down by my thigh (strong side), and nothing in my left hand, I passed by them. Making eye contact with the one deputy that was facing me, I lifted my empty left hand up in a wave, smiled and said, "Hi!" That deputy reciprocated the friendly gesture with a "hello" and a small wave. At this point I have an inner sigh of relief as I continue to pass... But then something odd happened their conversation ceased... It felt as if I had just gone deaf. Inside, I felt like I was bugging out getting ready for the "oh @#$%, here it comes" moment. But miraculously NOTHING happened. My girlfriend and I continued through the small lobby area and out of the restaurant. Feeling like I should just continue leaving, I decided NOT to look back at the expressions on the deputies faces, whatever they would have been. We left without issue.

Driving back home, I felt like doing the banana dance, but decided it would be better to pay attention to the road. This is the first time while openly carrying, that I have had to pass by a deputy from Fircrest or University Place, let alone both at the same time, and I am glad that the stress and anxiety about encountering local deputies while openly carrying is now gone.

If open carry is legal, you should not get hassled for doing it. If you do, that LEO has issues of his own!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Good job!

Hopefully the rest of your OC life will be as uneventful.

The cops did just what they're supposed to do: finish their lunch. Good for them

Now relax, while I'm certain some time in the future your OCing will be challenged, but you know how to handle yourself.

All the best.
    If our lives are endangered by plots or violence or armed robbers or enemies, any and every method of protecting ourselves is morally right.” -- Cicero

I hate to say this (but I live in the real world) If I was a WA police officer and some one I didn't know approached my W/ a firearm and then tried interject into my world I'd be on a pretty strong alert because of the recent shootings up there.

I'm guessing thats why they got quiet.

Everything else sounded fine.

Distinguished Member Array MinistrMalic's Avatar
    I agree with Treo here...the LEO community in WA is understandably a little antsy about people OCing due to recent experience. I wouldn't be surprised if they were all on high alert until you left.

On the other hand, what you did was show them that every guy carrying a firearm is not a BG; you were polite and friendly in the minor encounter you had, which is affirming of them as people worthy of respect. So you might well have been part of helping those officers cope with the tragedy they've experienced.
    "...whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one." (Luke 22:36)
    Christianity and Self Defense from a Biblical Perspective

Quote Originally Posted by Treo View Post
    I hate to say this (but I live in the real world) If I was a WA police officer and some one I didn't know approached my W/ a firearm and then tried interject into my world I'd be on a pretty strong alert because of the recent shootings up there.

Is it really you, Treo?
    If our lives are endangered by plots or violence or armed robbers or enemies, any and every method of protecting ourselves is morally right.” -- Cicero

Quote Originally Posted by Hiram25 View Post
    If open carry is legal, you should not get hassled for doing it. If you do, that LEO has issues of his own!
    True, but that wouldn't have stopped it from happening if that was the way it was going to go.

You done good, Swatspyder. I remember my first "OMG there's a cop in the restaurant" experience when I started OCing, and it's a high-pucker-factor event. A smile and a wave will either defuse the situation or get the bad stuff going on the right foot. Either way it can't hurt.

Senior Member Array TheGreatGonzo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Treo View Post

Great Scott! The body snatchers have taken Treo!
    Gonzo
    "Skin that smokewagon!".

As I mentioned in a "prior post" I seldom OC, but had a sim. experience ( very good) with both "a fast food" establishment & Peirce Co. LEOs. Since them, I have OC'd several Xs in various restaurants in the Puyallup WA area ( including Dennys ) ALL GOOD> ( have yet to try doing so in a "MALL") I did have a Prob. in a large Natl. Sporting Goods outlet ( has a a Large "Gun Dept.)carrying CC last year. ( they are posted but the sign is small & hidden & I missed it ) When confronted ( I took off my coat to try on another), I simply told the Mgr. that I would no longer Trade here & the items I had in my cart ( a couple of $100.s worth) He could restock.The other NRA TC did the same thing. Plus We showed him our NRA creds & told Him that we train 100s of people every year & we WOULD pass the "WORD"

Last week I had the chance to talk to a Pierce Co. Sgt. about his take on OCers. in light of the heightened "awareness". His personal take was, We are aware, but a civilian OCing is NO PROBLEM, in fact if he/she carry's "naturally" & makes no "big deal" of it, then I & my men actually have a positive attitude.

BUT in King Co. ???

Puffer

Question (with no negative connotation connected with the question)...

Why do you OC versus CC?

I've heard some of the positive and negative comments about it. My leaning, even while or especially because I live in the repressive People's Republic of NY, is that if we don't openly, freely and responsible exercise our rights it makes it that easier for the powers that be to infringe on our rights.

But I'm interested to here your reasoning, especially since OCing seems to add "drama" to your life.
    Martial Blade Concepts, Jiu-Jitsu & Eskrima NRA, GOA, NYSRPA, LIF, Old Bethpage Rifle & Pistol Club

Quote Originally Posted by 2edgesword View Post
    Question (with no negative connotation connected with the question)...

Why do you OC versus CC?

I've heard some of the positive and negative comments about it. My leaning, even while or especially because I live in the repressive People's Republic of NY, is that if we don't openly, freely and responsible exercise our rights it makes it that easier for the powers that be to infringe on our rights.

But I'm interested to here your reasoning, especially since OCing seems to add "drama" to your life.
    IMHO, a FANTASTIC ? but perhaps you could Post it in a "new post", so as not to "high jack" this one ???

Puffer

Quote Originally Posted by puffer View Post
    IMHO, a FANTASTIC ? but perhaps you could Post it in a "new post", so as not to "high jack" this one ???

Puffer
    Swatspyder, I apologize if I'm missing something but I thought the question I asked did address issues you raised in the OP.
    Martial Blade Concepts, Jiu-Jitsu & Eskrima NRA, GOA, NYSRPA, LIF, Old Bethpage Rifle & Pistol Club

Quote Originally Posted by 2edgesword View Post
    Swatspyder, I apologize if I'm missing something but I thought the question I asked did address issues you raised in the OP.
    I've reread the OP 3 times now and still find nothing that even touches on reasons for OCing as opposed to CCing...

Maybe you could point me to that part? My aging eyes must be failing me.
    Gun Control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound.

-- L. Neil Smith

Quote Originally Posted by PaxMentis View Post
    I've reread the OP 3 times now and still find nothing that even touches on reasons for OCing as opposed to CCing...

Maybe you could point me to that part? My aging eyes must be failing me.
    Da rulez:

Open Carry Issues & Discussions Discussion regarding open carry in those States where it is legal to do so. This is not a place to debate the virtues of open vs concealed carry.
    Plain as day right at the top of the page...

Quote Originally Posted by MN2Go View Post
    Is it really you, Treo?
    I'm opinionated not blind.

My general rule is "if I don't know you, don't talk to me." So, If I was a cop and an armed stranger went out of their way to interact W/ me, I 'd be a little bit cautious

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links