Open Carry observation in Maine

This is a discussion on Open Carry observation in Maine within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hi Everybody I wanted to share this O/C experience from yesterday (Sunday) with a potential Customer, which was a VERY POSITIVE one at that! I ...

Thread: Open Carry observation in Maine

Hi Everybody
    I wanted to share this O/C experience from yesterday (Sunday) with a potential Customer, which was a VERY POSITIVE one at that!
    I work P/T at Kittery Trading Post in Maine. Work in Shooting Sports on the second floor. we sometimes see people O/C at the Store.
    A Couple came in, he, dressed in comfortable polo type shirt with clean, but slightly weathered blue jeans. His wife, was dressed same way. BOTH were O/C ing. She had a S&W model 60 with a Blackhawk Black leather high ride holster, he carried a Glock 26 with the same brand of holster as described below:

BLACKHAWK! Detachable Slide Leather Concealment Holster - BLACKHAWK!

Point in making, they scanned the handgun cases, (where I was working) went to reloading and ammo, where they made a purchase of ammo.
    After they made their purchase on ammo, they returned to the used handguns where they asked to see a couple guns, which I gladly showed them. (ya can't have enough guns you know)
    I asked if they had any bad comments from their O/C ( since I post on the Forum and told them I was just curious) he gentleman said, "nope, not many, BUT I (he) usually gets a few OMG looks, generally from the Tourist population, (The Store is right off Rt 95 in maine)but never from the locals.
    They both have their CCW Permits have teken our Utah Permit course, so they can broaden their boundries, and also CC when they wish to, but due to the Summer, the'll be O/C ing more. He also told me, that due to his desire to O/C, he wants to present himsself as responsible / professional and thus, he wears good clean attire, except for when he's in the woods hunting. Point being made here, I thanked them for what they're attempting to accomplish, and wished them good experiences in the future.
    I wanted to share this to all of you, who O/C in your particular States, that if you're presented right, meaning, dressed decent, fairly good leather, and act in a responsible manner, hopfully, your own O/C experience should go better, and OUR CAUSE (We're ALL in this TOGETHER whether O/C or C/C) should be better accepted by the General Public.
    I DID however, get a couple comments from people who said "look at that, they have guns on them" which I quickly replied "YES they do! and don't they look good, excersizing their LEGAL right to do so!
    I also noted that the few "OMG they have guns" comments were made from people from the not-to-far States where it's not allowed, or so difficult to even get a LTC in their state.
    All in all, GREAT experience and I wished this Couple good passages in their travels, and also good experiences in all YOUR travels also.
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

Quote Originally Posted by CLASS3NH View Post

I DID however, get a couple comments from people who said "look at that, they have guns on them" which I quickly replied "YES they do! and don't they look good, excersizing their LEGAL right to do so!
    I also noted that the few "OMG they have guns" comments were made from people from the not-to-far States where it's not allowed, or so difficult to even get a LTC in their state.
    Outstanding response!
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

That's cool. I didn't even know OC was legal in Maine.

Good on you for your treatment of those people. Also, you probably helped your business out by reflecting them in a positive light.

Distinguished Member Array Spec's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Majorlk View Post
    Outstanding response!
    I agree^.. you have to educate the uneducated..........

Quote Originally Posted by Cedar Rat View Post
    That's cool. I didn't even know OC was legal in Maine.
    OpenCarry.org - A Right Unexercised is a Right Lost!
    NRA Certified Rifle/Pistol Instructor
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G18CFw0lnD8

Accuracy ALWAYS WINS! So carry what you can hit with.

If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics stink.

Maybe I'll see you later this year when I take the daughter to Funtown Splashtown since you are only another 45 minutes away. I'll have to come in OC'ing if I do.

Thanks for the story as well. Good to read about more people OC'ing in Maine.

Great encounter!
    BETTER TO BE TRIED BY 12 THAN CARRIED BY 6
    Hesitation kills faster than a bullet.
    If your head is up your *$$ you are unaware of danger. You are in the perfect position to kiss it goodbye.
    Open Carry LAW for Pennsylvania
    http://www.thecrimsonpirate.com/rtkb...pdate_2009.pdf

He also told me, that due to his desire to O/C, he wants to present himsself as responsible / professional and thus, he wears good clean attire, except for when he's in the woods hunting. Point being made here, I thanked them for what they're attempting to accomplish, and wished them good experiences in the future.

... and OUR CAUSE (We're ALL in this TOGETHER whether O/C or C/C) should be better accepted by the General Public. ...

... I quickly replied "YES they do! and don't they look good, excersizing their LEGAL right to do so!
    Great story, thank you for sharing.

I've got the same impression here in Minnesota, the OCers do their best to appear 'professional' - well-dressed and always polite. Little by little the OMG encounters will turn into non-events.

I admire those who expose themselves to the response of the public and the MWG experience on daily basis. Thank you for encouraging the couple.

I've always considered gun-ownership as 'our cause.' When we OC or CC, the emphasis of the "cause' becomes increasingly more important matter. We, the carry-Americans, are such a small bunch of the 300,000,000+ citizens that we do need to conduct our business in higher standard than an 'average' taxpayer. In the end we'll win the hearts and minds - not a bad goal regardless of your private stand on rest of your fellow Americans; i.e. whether you give a manure or not as long as you're allowed to OC or CC yourself.

Great retort, though! Good for you.
    If our lives are endangered by plots or violence or armed robbers or enemies, any and every method of protecting ourselves is morally right. -- Cicero

CLASS3NH....heading to your store next Sat! Love that outlet! Unfortunately we'll be naked.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandiesman00 View Post
    CLASS3NH....heading to your store next Sat! Love that outlet! Unfortunately we'll be naked.
    See you there! I tend to hover near the Used handguns area, along with the AR section
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

VIP Member

Sounds about right.

I live right off I-81, so the restaurants in the area get a lot of snowbird traffic.

Comments heard are about the same.

I love it when a waitstaff gives someone w' a Hudson River State accent a reply like yours.

Good job!
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

See you there! I tend to hover near the Used handguns area, along with the AR section
    I'll be the one in the Black Cowboy Hat and my beautiful wife! How's your Ammo prices up there?

Had a great weekend up there my friend! I love that store!

Links