Just got a call from a friend on a motorcycle trip who had an encounter in OK

This is a discussion on Just got a call from a friend on a motorcycle trip who had an encounter in OK within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Three friends of mine from church are on a motorcycle trip from AZ to DC for the Memorial Day event there. They are having a ...

Thread: Just got a call from a friend on a motorcycle trip who had an encounter in OK

Distinguished Member Array MinistrMalic's Avatar

Three friends of mine from church are on a motorcycle trip from AZ to DC for the Memorial Day event there. They are having a great time, taking their time and using back roads. After DC they are headed up to MA to see some family and have some New England clam chowder. These guys are Harley riders, not Hells Angels but big, bearded biker dudes.

Two of them decided yesterday to open carry, which I suppose was okay until they got into Oklahoma. They were getting fuel and a bite to eat when an OK state trooper encountered them. Thankfully he was really, really nice and talked to them about the fact that OC is NOT legal in OK and that they could have been arrested for it. They were polite, he was a great guy, and all he asked them to do was unload them and put them in the saddle bags. (both the guys have AZ CCW, but neither were dressed or holstered for CC) He said that if they had been in the city they would have had real trouble, but out in the rural area they were in he just wanted them to get within the law.

Thank God they encountered a kind trooper!!

Just a reminder to everyone to know the firearms laws of the state they are in. These guys could have been in a WORLD of hurt because they didn't. I didn't think they would be carrying (they are headed to DC...what the hay are they going to do there? Or MA for that matter) or I would have mapped out the gun laws for them on their itinerary.

Stay safe and stay legal!
    "...whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one." (Luke 22:36)
    Christianity and Self Defense from a Biblical Perspective

Smart for the LEO, never know what could have happened if he came on all cocky to the wrong group of bikers.
    “What we have done for ourselves alone dies with us; what we have done for others and the world remains and is immortal.” Albert Pike

Quote Originally Posted by guardmt View Post
    Smart for the LEO, never know what could have happened if he came on all cocky to the wrong group of bikers.
    We deal with bikers all the time, if they had been the wrong group, they would probably have been arrested for the violation. Glad everything worked out ok.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Great encounter. Glad everything went okay for them. Hope they have a fun and safe trip!
    Logan - NRA Member

Walther PPS 9mm, Ruger LCP

Laugh lots, Love Often, and Defend the Irreplaceable

I have had nothing but very positive experiences with the OHP.
    I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on Earth.--Steve McQueen

Quote Originally Posted by logan View Post
    Great encounter. Glad everything went okay for them. Hope they have a fun and safe trip!
    Glad to see evrything went well! I wish every LEO encounter went that well. Mass is NOT gun friendly, unless they have their guns in a LOCKED security box, preferably disassembled with no hi cap mags. also with ammo in a seperate area. If stopped, they are not required to let the LEO know if they carry. http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/massachusetts.pdf
    I see in your post that they from their home state Ma does NOT recognize any permits from other states. Tread lightly, as they might get into hot water on this one.
    http://www.handgunlaw.us/
    Bit of advice. If the LEO DOES ask your friends if they're carrying, they MUST tell him/her (the LEO) they are armed (in/on the vehicle is also considered on your person) Beware that Ma has NO Open Carry law

http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/arizona.pdf
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

They are extremely lucky,that's why it's important to know the laws of the States you travel through,can you imagine the problem they would have had if they OC'd in DC
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by MinistrMalic View Post
    Just a reminder to everyone to know the firearms laws of the state they are in. These guys could have been in a WORLD of hurt because they didn't.
    Good reminder. Each and every time I head up into Washington, I do a review of the WA RCS to ensure that I'm aware of the current state of laws. One slip, or if you get the wrong officer, you could end up cuffed and stuffed quicker 'n you can say "Oops."
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    They are extremely lucky,that's why it's important to know the laws of the States you travel through,can you imagine the problem they would have had if they OC'd in DC
    I demand that the police know and obey the law. I can hardly expect less of citizens who carry.

Over on the Ohioans for Concealed Carry forums there's a discussion of a guy who was stopped for a headlight out. The cop who stopped him found:

• firearm improperly carried in the vehicle
    • failure to "promptly" notify
    • a joint in the ashtray!

If he's LUCKY, he'll JUST lose his gun and CHL.

And there are people claiming he did nothing WRONG!

His example is the flip side of the false arrest of a North Carolina man by Fairfax County, Virginia cops for a variety of imaginary offenses. Some people just seem to believe that the law doesn't apply to THEM.

I don't like stupidity and contempt for the law by ANYBODY, cop or citizen.

I'm always happy to hear about encounters of the 5th kind with the law enforcement. Common sense makes huge difference.

One (1) cop) can make a a great PR gesture for the whole force.
    If our lives are endangered by plots or violence or armed robbers or enemies, any and every method of protecting ourselves is morally right.” -- Cicero

Your friends need to be VERY, VERY careful traveling through Maryland, DC and New York State. All three will throw them in jail for handgun violations if their guns are anywhere near where they can get their hands on them while traversing those states and the District.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

Quote Originally Posted by MN2Go View Post
    I'm always happy to hear about encounters of the 5th kind with the law enforcement. Common sense makes huge difference.
    Absolutely. Given the horrific, forcible cuff-and-stuff examples of the past three or four years around the country, this is a good example of how a good cop with experience can treat an upstanding citizen who simply unwittingly runs afoul of a detail in another state. Obviously, the guy was documented and upstanding, as well as not committing any overt acts of violence. It's not as though the education and correction would harm anyone. Great job by the LEO. Kudos, indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by Majorlk View Post
    Your friends need to be VERY, VERY careful traveling through Maryland, DC and New York State.
    There are these places, though (above), where cuff-and-stuff is a sport, upstanding citizens be damned.

Though, it's hopeful that the 80yr old couple in Chicago (as reported in recent news) will be treated with some measure of respect for the fact that they're alive because they ignored the statute. It's hard to grind on Granny's neck with the boot, when the only result was a few ticked-off bureaucrats and life for an upstanding elderly couple. We'll see.

All in all, it's far better to know the law well, re-study it prior to heading across state lines, and working very hard to be seen as upstanding such that even misunderstandings won't end up stuffed into a cell without much hope of ever seeing a CHL again.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

VIP Member

re: Deanimator

Quote Originally Posted by Deanimator View Post
    I demand that the police know and obey the law. I can hardly expect less of citizens who carry.
    In which case these guys from AZ might well be in jail as we write.

Clearly, they got some mercy. That too, is part of the discretion we give our officers.

Sponsored Links