Does OC Make Gun Size a Non-Issue?

This is a discussion on Does OC Make Gun Size a Non-Issue? within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; When I first started to carry it was with a snubby revolver. The more I carried, the more I realized that (1) Nobody noticed, (2) ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Does OC Make Gun Size a Non-Issue?

When I first started to carry it was with a snubby revolver. The more I carried, the more I realized that (1) Nobody noticed, (2) Nobody cared. Since then I've moved more and more toward full sized gun for both concealed and open carry.
    For God so loved the world that He gave his only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him, should not perish, but have everlasting life.
    John 3:16 (NKJV)

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Treo View Post
    Carry a fullsize pistol in a shoulder holster all day long then get back to us.
    G21SF with an extended magazine and two extended back-ups (45 of .45).

All day.

Just fine!

But then again, I'm a big guy.

OC for me just means that I can carry what I feel will be the most effective weapon for the situation. Mostly, I carry my 1911 on nice days, and my G21SF on crappy days (weather-wise, not my mood). Both are about equal in my estimation of effectiveness, so...

That which does not kill us leaves us broken and bleeding...

Don’t mess with the guy who can barely stand up. His remaining options for self-defense don't include your survival.

Convenire Volui Spectatus

When I was still brand new to CC, I was having a discussion with a retired detective form a major city PD. This guy was in his 70s and had carried and still carried every day for the last 50 years.

He said something that really rang true with me and has shaped my carry philosopy. "You can fight with the pistol you want to carry, or you can carry the pistol you want to fight with." His point was that one will carry the pistol a lot more than one will use the pistol, however when one needs to use the pistol, in that instant all of the inconvienance of past carry becomes completly irrelevent. Just for the record the old man carried an ancient Colt Government.

It is a very rare day when I carry my snubbie. I almost always carry my Springfield 5" 1911. I frequently ask myself when I am thinking of packing the snubbie what I want in my hand if the worst happens today. In that context, to answere the question of the OP, I am carring the bigest, most powerful thing I can shoot well. I live in a CC only State. If my state was to adopt OC I cannot see how that would change my selection of sidearm.

Senior Member Array CCWFlaRuger's Avatar
    I still carry my Ruger IWB, however, if I were in an OC state, I would feel alot more comfortable doing it. It is a large enough gun that it likes to print and that makes me nervous... I don't like attracting more attention than a 6'2" 330lb man does to begin with. That being said, were I not the size that I am, I dont think that IWB would be an option for the Ruger P345... I am blessed with the realestate to disguize it pretty well
    "You will not rise to the occasion and you will not default to your level of training. You WILL ONLY default to the level of training you have mastered."
    -Ruger P345; LCP
    -Mossberg 590A1; Model 42
    -Phoenix Arms Raven

Open or concealed I carry my RIA Compact 45 ACP
    "Leave the gun. Take the cannoli" Clemenza

Distinguished Member Array Dragman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pinklady View Post
    Well IMO it's not the size of the gun it's how you carry it. Well and how good you are with your it.
    Yea but in the end if you have both its still better!

Size oc/cc

Im disabled, have degen arthritis in my lower spine & hips. I had to stop carrying my Colt 1991-a1 in my shoulder holster due to the pain. I do have a "smaller" gun, a S&W M&P .40 compact, but usually only carry this as backup. It's all about the holster. I bought a Supertuck for my Colt .45, & can easily wear it all day. I bought a beautiful carved IWB/OWB holster from Simply Rugged for my Ruger SuperRedhawk Alaskan .454 Casull & can wear that all day as well.
    Just my preference to carry the largest cal I can (shoot well with)..

Here in Oklahoma, its still a moot point since OC is not yet permitted. I would like to see OC legalized, because:

1) If the wind blows up my shirt using CC, I am then potentially carrying illegally, since it is showing, even if temporarily. An OC law would make that point moot.

2) I would really like a 1911 to carry but too big for me to CC.

VIP Member
    Once you go shoulder holster, gun size becomes a non-issue.
    Size can still be an issue, an N frame with a 6" barrel can still get in the way when bending and sitting. I sometimes use a vertical shoulder holster and that is my experience with the subject.

JD
    Administrator
    I would say that OC negates a lot of the size issue. No way I'm going to OC a P3AT when I can OC a Springfield XDM-9.

However, if one wants to OC a smaller package to have it be less visible, that's a plus of carrying a smaller gun.

Quote Originally Posted by CCWFlaRuger View Post
    I am blessed with the realestate to disguize it pretty well
    +1
    Semper Paratus

‎"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

Distinguished Member Array Toorop's Avatar
    In my opinion it does. However if you dress around the gun it is not an issue in the first place. I usually carry my Glock 26 concealed but if I can open carry without fear of harassment I would carry my 17.

Quote Originally Posted by rglyons View Post
    2) I would really like a 1911 to carry but too big for me to CC.
    I carry my 1991-a1 .45 5" cc all day. I would advise checking out Crossbreed Holsters. I bought the SuperTuck for that specific reason, and besides being VERY comfortable, I can tuck a shirt in my pants over the .45, and you can't even tell I'm carrying. Hope this helps & good luck

Path

yes and no. concealment isnt easy for me, being a slim gal. so if all I did was OC (i wouldnt have a diff OC gun that CC), then I might have a slightly larger gun.. but really weight is also a big concearn for me. even my little light gun gives me back aches if i am walking around with it too long, so i certainly wouldnt get anything a whole lot heavier.
    Wo die Notwehr aufhört, fängt der Mord an
    (Murder begins where self-defense ends)
    Georg Büchner

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links