Does OC Make Gun Size a Non-Issue?

This is a discussion on Does OC Make Gun Size a Non-Issue? within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; It is my opinion that one of the reason that people who start carrying end up carrying something super-small like a Kel-Tec or a J-Frame ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does OC Make Gun Size a Non-Issue?

Does OC Make Gun Size a Non-Issue?

It is my opinion that one of the reason that people who start carrying end up carrying something super-small like a Kel-Tec or a J-Frame DAO is because it's simply more convenient to do so.

There's a lot of good IWB holsters out there, but a lot of people won't carry a full-size gun in one when they otherwise would because of either comfort or clothing issues.

I have an Alessi Bodyguard shoulder holster and I carry a Springfield Armory TRP with me. Once you go shoulder holster, gun size becomes a non-issue.

I thrown on a T-shirt and my rig at the beginning of the day. If I'm going somewhere I usually put on a an overshirt and leave it unbuttoned. CC-only types would worry that the wind might blow it and cause it to become "exposed" but as I'm an OC type I don't really care. Sometimes I'll go out with just the T-Shirt and the shoulder rig.

Anyway...there's no need to keep going down in frame size once you OC. Anyone else think I'm right on this or do you carry compact guns when OC'ing anyway?

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    For me, it doesn't matter if it's CCed or OCed, it's the same gun. Sig P220R
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

I've OCd my P226, P229 and P239...so yes, OC does make gun size a non-issue.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

VIP Member
    The weight and size is still an issue unless it's a short trip. I rarely OC, but on those occasions that I do, the carry method and gun size has to be matched with what I plan on doing and how long I plan on being gone.

-I wouldn't shoulder carry if I plan on doing a lot of lifting or work with my arms.
    -I prefer not to belt carry if I'm going to be in a car for a long time.
    -If I will be gone all day, a heavy gun just doesn't help.
    eschew obfuscation

The only thing that stops bad guys with guns is good guys with guns. SgtD

Senior Moderator
    Weight is still as issue for me, I don't want to lug around a heavy gun if I don't have too.

But with OC size doesn't matter as much (but I would still avoid pistols with long barrels)
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

VIP Member
    In some cases I have gone the other direction.

I will OC something less conspicuous sometime -- as we need to OC here to eat in a restaurant that sell alcohol for on premises consumption [until July 1] and my EDC is rather noticeable in OC mode.
    Attached Images
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Distinguished Member Array jumpwing's Avatar
    I'd carry the same gun either way (G30) because it's the gun I shoot best with.
    "The flock sleep peaceably in their pasture at night because Sheepdogs stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    cafepress.com/bgstudios

Distinguished Member Array pinklady's Avatar
    Well IMO it's not the size of the gun it's how you carry it. Well and how good you are with your it.

Quote Originally Posted by The Expert View Post
    Once you go shoulder holster, gun size becomes a non-issue.
    Carry a fullsize pistol in a shoulder holster all day long then get back to us.

Quote Originally Posted by Treo View Post
    Carry a fullsize pistol in a shoulder holster all day long then get back to us.

9 months out of the year, that's how and what I carry. Currently my Miami Classic is retired for the summer, but when it comes back into rotation, it'll be holding my G17 again.

I got into shoulder holsters years ago when I needed a good way to carry my Ruger P95DC, then years later when I decided I needed another pistol, I carried an H&K USP .45 full sized (and was introduced to the Miami Classic ). Other than a few months with a G23, I've always carried full sized pistols in a shoulder holster. They just work for me.

Honestly, I have a harder time concealing and being comfortable with a belt holster than I do a shoulder holster. I doesn't help that I hate wearing a belt.
    "Stand your ground, don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here!" - John Parker April 19th, 1775 Lexington, MA

Μολών λαβέ!

I used to CC a Bersa 380. Now that I OC I carry this. Size and weight isn't an issue anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Katana View Post
    9 months out of the year, that's how and what I carry. Currently my Miami Classic is retired for the summer, but when it comes back into rotation, it'll be holding my G17 again.

Wearing a shoulder holster tends to cramp my neck

Quote Originally Posted by Treo View Post
    Wearing a shoulder holster tends to cramp my neck

Yeah, they definitely are not for everyone. But I used to lift weights almost religiously, and still have very strong shoulders, which is probably the only reason I can wear them on a regular basis.
    "Stand your ground, don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here!" - John Parker April 19th, 1775 Lexington, MA

Μολών λαβέ!

I agree that size is less relevant when open carrying. I have a G27 for summer concealed carry, a G23 for winter CC, and a G22 for OC. In other words, the concealment requirements determine which gun I carry.
    NRA Life Member

Treo- carry one on each side to balance the weight lol it may help ... jk

I have a thread about an OC weapon being less threatening. I feel that if I open carry I want to be more convert about it than when I CC. Its weird I just feel way more comfortable in cc mode but do not discard the OC.

So to me yes it matters if I am going to new places or less traveled places but No when I am in my comfort zone. Cutting grass, local trips around my neighborhood, breakfast at a restaurant.

Jason
    "Put on the whole armor of God..."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links