Cabellas is anti OC

This is a discussion on Cabellas is anti OC within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by atctimmy You have lost all credibility with me Sir. This was in response to another poster (post 129). And yes, I do ...

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 67891011 LastLast

Thread: Cabellas is anti OC

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    You have lost all credibility with me Sir. This was in response to another poster (post 129). And yes, I do think you were completely wrong in this situation. If you want to complain about someone bringing the term villian into this thread, blame PaxMentis. His word, not mine.
    +1. I find it VERY difficult to believe that someone who is mad enough to post about "idiots" and "losers" after getting home from his encounter was as cool as a cucumber when the encounter was actually taking place.
    Slow is smooth.....smooth is fast.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by NIS350ZTT View Post
    Awfully close to debating the virtues of open vs. concealed carry.

Meanwhile, I'm seeing plenty of these violations in the thread:
    Too bad that some peoples' fervent support of the 2nd Amendment doesn't apply to the 1st Amendment when something is said that they don't like. How many anti-1st Amendment "villains" on this board?
    Last edited by Vaquero 45; June 3rd, 2010 at 06:39 PM.
    Slow is smooth.....smooth is fast.

If you want to complain about someone bringing the term villian into this thread, blame PaxMentis. His word, not mine.
    Actually "my word" was "villains"...as in this definition:
    Something said to be the cause of particular trouble or an evil: poverty, the villain in the increase of crime.
    Gun Control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound.

-- L. Neil Smith

If I were a store manager and a customer used the language to me describing one of my employees that the OP used in his rant and had the attitude that comes across in said rant, I would be inviting the customer to take his business somewhere else. The customer is NOT always right; in some instances he is completely wrong.

Making a scene such as the OP described is just one such case.

Personally, in all of such rants posted here, I would dearly love to hear the other side of the story. I think many of them are figments of imagination.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PaxMentis View Post
    Actually "my word" was "villains"...as in this definition:

Touché. I'll give you full marks for your wit. Lucky for me there is an edit button.

Now that my spelling is fixed do you have anything constructive to say?

I understand that many OCers get upset by CCers saying things like "but that's just stupid" and "why do you do that", and I understand that anger. But honestly, you can't really agree with the OP, can you? The guy had no idea what store policy really was and then throws a hissy fit when asked to cover up.

This has nothing to do with OC vs. CC, it has to do with the behavior of the OP when asked by a store employee to do something he didn't like.

For the record I usually CC, but I do OC on a fair amount of occasions when it is more convenient for me to do so. Also for the record I have no problem with others OCing and exercising their rights. I just don't like one bad egg spoiling it for the rest of us (which happens fairly often in our sheep ridden, litigious society).
    Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—
    I took the one less traveled by,
    And that has made all the difference.

Touché. I'll give you full marks for your wit. Lucky for me there is an edit button.

I understand that many OCers get upset by CCers saying things like "but that's just stupid" and "why do you do that", and I understand that anger. But honestly, you can't really agree with the OP, can you? The guy had no idea what store policy really was and then throws a hissy fit when asked to cover up.

This has nothing to do with OC vs. CC, it has to do with the behavior of the OP when asked by a store employee to do something he didn't like.

For the record I usually CC, but I do OC on a fair amount of occasions when it is more convenient for me to do so. Also for the record I have no problem with others OCing and exercising their rights. I just don't like one bad egg spoiling it for the rest of us (which happens fairly often in our sheep ridden, litigious society).
    Actually I am not a OCer...as I have stated before, I have fought enough battles for one lifetime and leave OC for those who wish too deal with the hassles. However, I do respect what they are doing and get as irritated as they do when CCers choose to come to the OC forum and proceed to lecture on how they carry.

I have looked at the original post numerous times, and have yet to see the "hissy fit" to which you refer. I see the OP asking about the policy, inquiring if it is posted and leaving the store with a stop at the manager to inform him why he is leaving and what kind of sale will go elsewhere.

Possibly you projected the obvious anger/frustration in his reference to the people with whom he dealt and assumed he spoke that way with them, but I chose to instead believe that he was venting here with those he assumed would be somewhat supportive. I didn't see a single one of the critics actually ask what his demeanor was in the store.

If I am incorrect and the OP did in fact "throw a hissy fit" and call the people morons, "posterior-hats" and whatever the other characterization was, then I agree that he was wrong and apologize to the critics who somehow knew that...I just see no indication that was the case.

The fact that he chooses to carry differently than do I does not make me assume the worst about him or deny him the benefit of the doubt.
    Gun Control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound.

-- L. Neil Smith

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PaxMentis View Post
    Actually I am not a OCer...as I have stated before, I have fought enough battles for one lifetime and leave OC for those who wish too deal with the hassles. However, I do respect what they are doing and get as irritated as they do when CCers choose to come to the OC forum and proceed to lecture on how they carry.

I have looked at the original post numerous times, and have yet to see the "hissy fit" to which you refer. I see the OP asking about the policy, inquiring if it is posted and leaving the store with a stop at the manager to inform him why he is leaving and what kind of sale will go elsewhere.

Possibly you projected the obvious anger/frustration in his reference to the people with whom he dealt and assumed he spoke that way with them, but I chose to instead believe that he was venting here with those he assumed would be somewhat supportive. I didn't see a single one of the critics actually ask what his demeanor was in the store.

If I am incorrect and the OP did in fact "throw a hissy fit" and call the people morons, "posterior-hats" and whatever the other characterization was, then I agree that he was wrong and apologize to the critics who somehow knew that...I just see no indication that was the case.

The fact that he chooses to carry differently than do I does not make me assume the worst about him or deny him the benefit of the doubt.
    Fair enough. I am projecting his behavior in print onto his behavior in real life. One of us is right and one is wrong about his behavior, but I think we both agree on the big picture. Frankly, I hope you're right and the OP was allot friendlier than he sounds.
    Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—
    I took the one less traveled by,
    And that has made all the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by BikerRN View Post
    The Cliff Notes version, of which I am in agreement.

Biker
    Same here if you dont like it get out. Its private property not your property.

Quote Originally Posted by Vaquero 45 View Post
    Too bad that some peoples' fervent support of the 2nd Amendment doesn't apply to the 1st Amendment when something is said that they don't like. How many anti-1st Amendment "villains" on this board?
    Forum's rules, not mine.

Fair enough. I am projecting his behavior in print onto his behavior in real life. One of us is right and one is wrong about his behavior, but I think we both agree on the big picture. Frankly, I hope you're right and the OP was allot friendlier than he sounds.
    Probably one reason I want to give him the benefit of the doubt is that I am guilty of venting here.

I was overly harsh this morning and I apologize...I was in a rotten mood and am not really a morning person anyway.

-- L. Neil Smith

Distinguished Member Array Spec's Avatar

finally something we agree on... Carry ON my friend!

although I'm not judging Because I was not there and I can't tell by reading if a hiss fit was thrown.
    That's why I know the store's policy before I OC there..
    NRA Certified Rifle/Pistol Instructor
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G18CFw0lnD8

Accuracy ALWAYS WINS! So carry what you can hit with.

If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics stink.

Quote Originally Posted by Vaquero 45 View Post
    My experience here is this. This is not the SUB forum to debate OC v CC. It's the forum where those of us that OC come to talk about it so we don't have to defend it. My experience tells me that there are places on this board where OC has been debated. I'll let you, or anyone else, figure out where if you like. I don't intend on starting any threads, but I have waded into them on occasion. Ok, regularly.

And the same argument that has been used on this thread can be turned on your argument. This forum is private property. The 1A does not apply to private property. Similar to the argument here that property rights allow a business to ban the expression of our 2A rights. That sword cuts both ways. It's also why I tend to focus on the policy issue, instead of the rights issue (individual v property).
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Quote Originally Posted by b1780 View Post
    I inform the manager that they just lost out on about 2K worth of my business, and that I will be sure to express my dissatisfaction with others on this forum as well as other I know that frequent their store. He seems to not give a damn about this situation at all.
    He doesn't.
    Ya know why? Because your measly 2K is like a single grain of sand in the Mohave Desert to them. Thier annual sales are so much that they'll never miss your cash one bit.

I hate it when I'm out enjoying a day away from the office and I witness somethin like what you did.
    I think it's childish to tell someone they are losing your money, how you'll never come back and how you're goin to tell everyone you know of the experience you just had. Really?? What does that accomplish other than you showing your ass in public?
    My dad used to do that alot when I was growing up and it embarrased the hell out of me then.

Best advice I can offer is that you just move on and shop elsewhere.
    If you go to corporate you will never hear back from em and that will only piss you off more.

Also, being as awesome as Cabela's is....I'm pretty sure they'll prob be getting some more of your money at some point in the future. They're just too awesome to turn your back on....at least the one in Ft. Worth is.
    "I don't like repeat offenders, I like DEAD offenders!" -- Ted Nugent
    "Not everyone can be born with common sense, some are born liberals." -- MM218

Quote Originally Posted by MedicMan218 View Post
    He doesn't.
    Ya know why? Because your measly 2K is like a single grain of sand in the Mohave Desert to them. Thier annual sales are so much that they'll never miss your cash one bit.

I hate it when I'm out enjoying a day away from the office and I witness somethin like what you did.
    I think it's childish to tell someone they are losing your money, how you'll never come back and how you're goin to tell everyone you know of the experience you just had. Really?? What does that accomplish other than you showing your ass in public?
    My dad used to do that alot when I was growing up and it embarrased the hell out of me then.

Best advice I can offer is that you just move on and shop elsewhere.
    If you go to corporate you will never hear back from em and that will only piss you off more.

Also, being as awesome as Cabela's is....I'm pretty sure they'll prob be getting some more of your money at some point in the future. They're just too awesome to turn your back on....at least the one in Ft. Worth is.
    I agree 100% with everything above especially the fact that the Fort Worth Cabela's rocks.

The sign on the door at the Fort Worth store states that patrons that legally carry open or concealed are allowed in the store.

Either way the OP acted like a child.

Distinguished Member Array DefConGun's Avatar
    I'm so glad I read this thread, I've learned a lot and thank everyone for their contributions. I will say that I'm assuming that the OP is giving an accurate description of what happened (since I wasn't there) and that I don't think that there was anything wrong with him questioning management about being asked to covering up. At the same time, however, I also agree with the people on here that have stated that when you try to argue with management in a deal like this then you are going to loose and perhaps the most graceful thing to do is to comply and either continue to shop or leave. Irrespective of deciding to stay or leave I think the best thing to do is to report this to corporate like many have said.

I have recently acquired a pistola and will get my CCDW soon but until that happens, I have been thinking about OCing but after reading this I see that I really need to be up on the laws pertaining to this before I go out like a babe in the woods. I had someone that works in a gun shop, for example, tell me that there is no law against OC in KY and that a store manager asked him to leave in a Wal-Mart one time and he told them that they couldn't ask him to leave - that they were violating his constitutional rights. That didn't quite sound right to me but after reading this thread I can see the logic behind private property, etc. and before never considered this in reference to the rights of a store that asks you to leave, etc. I hope that I'm not getting off track here but just wanted to share how the relevancy of this has helped me in my understanding in the complexities that can quickly emerge with such issues, etc.

Thank you everyone for your sharing.

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 67891011 LastLast

Links