Cabellas is anti OC - Page 2

Cabellas is anti OC

This is a discussion on Cabellas is anti OC within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by b1780 I OC a bit more now that summer temps are here in this fine state of MN. This afternoon I went ...

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by b1780 View Post
    I OC a bit more now that summer temps are here in this fine state of MN. This afternoon I went to the Cabellas in Rogers MN to do a bit of shopping. I had my eye on a new assualt rifle and needed more amo. So I am looking at some t-shirts that caught my eye, when out of the blue a store associate flags me down. He requests that I untuck my shirt to conceal my G22 that I am carrying. I am quite taken aback by this, due to the fact that their sign on the entrance clearly states that their firearm policy does not apply to those that have a concealed handgun license. Now keep in mind MN is an open carry state!. I very kindly ask this moron why he would like me to conceal, as I explain to him that it is unnecessary as they are not posted. I am completely following the letter of the law. He informs me that there are signs everywhere throughout the store that state that the firearm must be concealed. At this point I am pissed, seeing as this dope has no clue regarding the laws. I ask him to show me the sign that states this, simply because I allready know that it does not exist. Walking to the exit, without the items I intended to purchase, I see the store manager. I explain to him what his retard employee has asked me to do. I want to clarify Cabellas position on this before I will ever spend another dime in their store. I am told by this *** hat that if I want to shop in there store the firearm must be concealed. At this point I am upset about this event out of mostly principle. Sure I could have simply CC'd when entering, but I didn't want to, and I am completely within the letter of the law to OC. I inform the manager that they just lost out on about 2K worth of my business, and that I will be sure to express my dissatisfaction with others on this forum as well as other I know that frequent their store. He seems to not give a damn about this situation at all.

I am curious, should I take this up with corporate, or just let this slide ?

As a side note I OC'd all day at many store without any issue. I even made sure to dress for the ocassion. I wore a nice pair of Kakhi pants and a nice polo shirt. Even though I have been out of the military for a few years now, I still maintain a very clean cut military appearance. What would you guys do about this ?
    I don't agree with the others, sounds like you are just venting.

It is their right to not allow you to OC, just as it is your right to write a letter to corporate and take your money to a business that welcomes a law-abiding citizen.

Any manager that doesn't want a law-abiding citizen inside his store shouldn't be a manager (and probably won't be for long).

Thanks for sharing. Everytime I read these stories it makes me want to support the local stores more.

This IS NOT a private property rights issue! It's an employee not following corporate policy issue. Period! Contact corporate ASAP.

Cabelas:
    Policy is to follow the law of the state the store located.

Thank you for the recent email. I am very sorry for the confusion that took place at our retail location.
    Our corporate office has taken action in regards to the below mentioned issue and here is what has been decided.
    We have made the decision to comply with state laws in regards to open carry. We do not ask customers to check concealed or open carry weapons where the state has laws governing this situation. Our signs refer to firearms that are being returned or sold to Cabela's.

If you are still having problems please feel free to let us know

Thanks again

Becky
    Lead Associate
    Cabela's Retail Information
    1-800-905-2731
    retail.contactgroup<AT>cabelas.com

From OCDO. Lots of corporate policies listed here.

Corporate Policies - Wisconsin - Stories From The States - OpenCarry.org - Discussion Forum

When will we learn that large corporations pass corporate level policy that local managers typically cannot deviate from. If you are ever asked to leave, do so. Then contact corporate.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Quote Originally Posted by NIS350ZTT View Post
    I don't agree with the others, sounds like you are just venting.

It is their right to not allow you to OC, just as it is your right to write a letter to corporate and take your money to a business that welcomes a law-abiding citizen.

Any manager that doesn't want a law-abiding citizen inside his store shouldn't be a manager (and probably won't be for long).

Thanks for sharing. Everytime I read these stories it makes me want to support the local stores more.
    Thanks for your thoughts. Is it safe to take off the flame suit now ?
    When I carry a gun, I don't do so because I am looking for a fight, but because I'm looking to be left alone. The gun at my side means that I cannot be forced, only persuaded. I don't carry it because I'm afraid, but because it enables me to be unafraid.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BikerRN View Post
    The Cliff Notes version, of which I am in agreement.

Biker
    +2.

The signs say that "All firearms must be checked at the service counter" and then underneath it says " This does not apply to concealed carry permit holders" (not exact quotes but you get the gist).

It's really simple, they support 2A and your right to defend yourself. All they are asking you to do is conceal. They do business with plenty of soccer moms and assorted sheeply types and they don't want you scaring away the OTHER paying customers. What's so hard to understand here?
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

Dundee, Michigan

Cabela's allowed MOC, which is Michigan Open Carry to have a seminar, and a booth right at the entrance I beleive. Just a couple of months ago.. Sucks that the one near you isn't being like corporate...

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    +2.

The signs say that "All firearms must be checked at the service counter" and then underneath it says " This does not apply to concealed carry permit holders" (not exact quotes but you get the gist).

It's really simple, they support 2A and your right to defend yourself. All they are asking you to do is conceal. They do business with plenty of soccer moms and assorted sheeply types and they don't want you scaring away the OTHER paying customers. What's so hard to understand here?
    Whats so hard to understand that in addition to it being a store filled will soccer moms and sheep, it is also a store with firearms in plane sight. If people cant handle seeing them, then get out of the store. I understand that I could have simply CC'd but there signs simply state that it is not required. I can't live my life in regards to being concerned with how other people will react to me carrying a firearm. I do my part to be polite, dress appropriately and go about my day. It is about high time people realize that a man with a gun carried in a holster is not one to be afraid of. I was not doing anything wrong, I was minding my own business spending my hard earned money. I expect others to mind there own business as well. This is a gun store, so I am failing to see the problem.
    When I carry a gun, I don't do so because I am looking for a fight, but because I'm looking to be left alone. The gun at my side means that I cannot be forced, only persuaded. I don't carry it because I'm afraid, but because it enables me to be unafraid.

+2.

Were you worried about what others may think when you had your AR in the seat next to you? I bet people could have been afraid if they saw that. I would challenge that you weren't and you were doing what you thought best. Im just saying, you aren't doing anything all that different with regards to that arguement.

Quote Originally Posted by maddog3241 View Post
    Cabela's allowed MOC, which is Michigan Open Carry to have a seminar, and a booth right at the entrance I beleive. Just a couple of months ago.. Sucks that the one near you isn't being like corporate...
    Yes it does. I understand their sign about checking firearms at the door and that it does not apply to those with a concealed handgun license. Explain to me how that wording states that OC is not allowed?

+2.

Agree 100%. They're not telling you that you can't carry... rather, simply that they would like you to keep it concealed. Doesn't seem like a big deal to me.

The sign clearly states that their store policy did not apply to those who have a concealedhand gun license. If you feel that you were mistreated you should take it up with the home office with a polite letter explaining the situation.

Yes it does. I understand their sign about checking firearms at the door and that it does not apply to those with a concealed handgun license. Explain to me how that wording states that OC is not allowed?
    I dont understand why they gave you grief at all... Like I said, the only one we have here in Michigan allowed the seminar, and all the guys working the booth to OC while handing out fliers.. I would contact corprate, personally.

Every place needs your money, yeah Cabela's is a big place, but they still need to sell stuff, let them know how you feel...Matt

Quote Originally Posted by Grant48 View Post
    Agree 100%. They're not telling you that you can't carry... rather, simply that they would like you to keep it concealed. Doesn't seem like a big deal to me.
    See post #17. They don't tell you to keep it concealed. They support OC on the corporate level.

Call corporate and have them straighten the manager out on OC. I'm sure they will do it. If walmart will (they did for me), Cabela's will.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Quote Originally Posted by NIS350ZTT View Post
    ...sounds like you are just venting...
    Right off, could tell you were just venting.

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    ...I would not stand in the store and argue with them about it. Leave and write a letter to corporate about it.
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by chiefjason View Post
    This IS NOT a private property rights issue! It's an employee not following corporate policy issue. Period!...
    It is always a private property rights issue (exception discrimination to gender & race) when you are on private property.

...If you are ever asked to leave, do so. Then contact corporate.
    Better stated.

...Policy is to follow the law of the state the store located...I am very sorry for the confusion that took place at our retail location....Our signs refer to firearms that are being returned or sold to Cabela's....
    Issue resolved, mistakes happen, go back to the store, would be interesting to hear form the OP what happens round 2.
    NRA Member
    S&W 642 (no-lock) with .38 Spl +P 135 GR Gold GDHP
    Glock G31 & G33 with .357 Sig 125 GR. SXT Winchester Ranger

Just to play devil's advocate...

If the following is correct:

The signs say that "All firearms must be checked at the service counter" and then underneath it says " This does not apply to concealed carry permit holders"
    then their policy does not actually stipulate the method of carry.

It simply says that anyone with a concealed carry permit is exempt from checking weapons, regardless of what method they have chosen to carry.

By comparison, if the sign/policy said:

...This does not apply to concealed carry permit holders legally carrying concealed
    then it would be a completely different story and only those with permits AND were legally carrying concealed would be exempt from checking firearms.

Anyone open carrying by this definition would be required to check their firearms, or simply conceal before entering the store (assuming they had a concealed carry license).

Whats so hard to understand that in addition to it being a store filled will soccer moms and sheep, it is also a store with firearms in plane sight. If people cant handle seeing them, then get out of the store. I understand that I could have simply CC'd but there signs simply state that it is not required. I can't live my life in regards to being concerned with how other people will react to me carrying a firearm. I do my part to be polite, dress appropriately and go about my day. It is about high time people realize that a man with a gun carried in a holster is not one to be afraid of. I was not doing anything wrong, I was minding my own business spending my hard earned money. I expect others to mind there own business as well. This is a gun store, so I am failing to see the problem.
    Cabela's is not a gun store. It is a sporting goods/outdoors store that sells guns. Big difference.

And carrying a gun no more makes you a "sheepdog" than owning a guitar makes you a guitarist. A true sheepdog doesn't call people who disagree with him "morons" or "dopes," nor does he deride people as "sheep." And he certainly doesn't start an argument in a public place because a store employee asked him to (God forbid) cover his firearm.

People are going to react to you carrying your firearm openly, whether you like it or not. How can you not understand that not everyone is comfortable around firearms, and won't automatically trust you as one of the "good guys" when they don't know you from Adam? Especially when you are openly displaying a strong symbol of YOUR distrust of people to begin with.

You need to worry less about the technicalities of what the sign says, and more about how to interact with people who don't think like you.
    Slow is smooth.....smooth is fast.

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Links