Cabellas is anti OC - Page 3

Cabellas is anti OC

This is a discussion on Cabellas is anti OC within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Minnesota does not have a concealed carry permit; it has a permit to carry, and how you do so (open or concealed) is up to ...

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 158

Thread: Cabellas is anti OC

  1. #31
    Senior Member Array JohnK87's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Hastings, MN
    Posts
    600
    Minnesota does not have a concealed carry permit; it has a permit to carry, and how you do so (open or concealed) is up to you. The store was in error as OC is in compliance with State law.

    However....

    You should have untucked and covered it, then taken it up with the manager and corporate later.
    ‎An enemy of liberty is no friend of mine. I do not owe respect to anyone who would enslave me by government force, nor is it wise for such a person to expect it. -- Isaiah Amberay


  2. #32
    Member
    Array Tmag's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    142
    Quote Originally Posted by varob View Post
    You guys should consider yourselves lucky you have a Cabelas to shop in.

    If I want to buy something from them, I have to pony up a bundle for shipping.
    I hear that...
    Tom
    Osculare pultem meam! - Kiss my grits!

  3. #33
    Member Array b1780's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    MN
    Posts
    249
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnK87 View Post
    Minnesota does not have a concealed carry permit; it has a permit to carry, and how you do so (open or concealed) is up to you. The store was in error as OC is in compliance with State law.

    However....

    You should have untucked and covered it, then taken it up with the manager and corporate later.
    Read post # 12. I did exactly that, as well as asked the employee why. I did the same with the manager. I will be taking it up with corporate as well as they seem to be unaware of the legalities of OC in their store. I know that corporate is okay with it, seeing as how the store in Owatanna is fne with it. I have verified this in person as well as with the manager.
    When I carry a gun, I don't do so because I am looking for a fight, but because I'm looking to be left alone. The gun at my side means that I cannot be forced, only persuaded. I don't carry it because I'm afraid, but because it enables me to be unafraid.

  4. #34
    VIP Member
    Array atctimmy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Gastonville
    Posts
    6,770
    Quote Originally Posted by b1780 View Post
    Whatís so hard to understand that in addition to it being a store filled will soccer moms and sheep, it is also a store with firearms in plane sight. If people cant handle seeing them, then get out of the store. I understand that I could have simply CC'd but there signs simply state that it is not required. I can't live my life in regards to being concerned with how other people will react to me carrying a firearm. I do my part to be polite, dress appropriately and go about my day. It is about high time people realize that a man with a gun carried in a holster is not one to be afraid of. I was not doing anything wrong, I was minding my own business spending my hard earned money. I expect others to mind there own business as well. This is a gun store, so I am failing to see the problem.
    You (in bold) are not sounding like the kind of person I want representing me as an armed citizen. You appear from your writing to be hotheaded and standoffish. Those people, whom you refer to, have every right in the world to be in that store too.
    It's not a gun store. It's a sporting goods store with a gun department. Wall Mart sells guns too, it doesn't make them a gun store. People go to Cabelaís to buy shoes, tents, fishing poles, water filtration products, winter clothing, work clothes and a myriad of other stuff not related to guns. Some people just go to see all the cool stuff on the walls or just to see the fish tank.

    Quote Originally Posted by b1780 View Post
    Were you worried about what others may think when you had your AR in the seat next to you? I bet people could have been afraid if they saw that. I would challenge that you weren't and you were doing what you thought best. Iím just saying, you aren't doing anything all that different with regards to that argument.
    I was in my own vehicle transporting a long gun in accordance with the law and out of view from the public (unless they leaned in my window and looked in my truck). I was not on someone else's property or in a public place. If you can't see the difference between the two then I don't know what else to tell you.


    To me you sound like an angry person who is trying to make a spectacle out of nothing. Do your homework and you will find that Cabelaís give copious amounts of money the NRA and other firearms related groups. They are our friends, not the enemy!

    As far as the law goes you no longer had any applicable right to OC after the employee asked you to conceal. It's private property and any other argument you may have is moot.
    I havenít heard any of the journalists who volunteered to be waterboarded asking to have their fingernails wrenched out with pliers, or electrodes attached to their genitals.

  5. #35
    VIP Member Array chiefjason's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Hickory, NC
    Posts
    2,841
    Quote Originally Posted by Thanis View Post
    It is always a private property rights issue (exception discrimination to gender & race) when you are on private property.
    It's not a Private property rights issue as in, it's their property they can tell you what to do. Particularly when there is a corporate policy at odds with what the manager says. If you go into a mom and pops store and the owner tells you to leave. Sure, it's their right as the property owner. When a manager tells you to leave, against written store policy, it's an issue of the manager not knowing or ignoring corporate policy. To spend time arguing that the manager has some all encompassing right to set the rules, like some have on this thread, is to muddy the issue. The manager is in violation of his own companies rules and that needs to be fixed. There is no real discussion of private property rights involved. Corporate policy supersedes the managers ideas in a big box store.

    Could they call the cops and try to charge you with trespassing if you don't leave. Probably. But not because you are breaking a rule on carrying. As the manager they are responsible for the property, and can request that people be removed. Would it stick since it violates company policy? Don't know. Don't want to find out. That's why I'm for leaving and taking it over their heads and let the company straighten them out. What I am not for is calling it a property rights issue, letting them do something that is against policy, and not saying anything about it. That too has been talked about on this thread.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

    "Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

  6. #36
    Member Array yale's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    St Gabriel, La
    Posts
    180
    Cabellas is not anti-OC.
    The policy has been posted here in this thread. Contact corporate and have them reeducate the manager.
    We had similar problems here in Louisiana with the local Cabellas but it was sorted out right away and the employees were retrained. No problems since.

  7. #37
    VIP Member
    Array atctimmy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Gastonville
    Posts
    6,770
    Quote Originally Posted by yale View Post
    Cabellas is not anti-OC.
    The policy has been posted here in this thread. Contact corporate and have them reeducate the manager.
    We had similar problems here in Louisiana with the local Cabellas but it was sorted out right away and the employees were retrained. No problems since.
    This is how it should be done.
    I havenít heard any of the journalists who volunteered to be waterboarded asking to have their fingernails wrenched out with pliers, or electrodes attached to their genitals.

  8. #38
    VIP Member
    Array oneshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    +42.893612,-082.710236 , Mi.
    Posts
    8,748

    SORRY, But We Have A Winner,

    Quote Originally Posted by chiefjason View Post
    It's not a Private property rights issue as in, it's their property they can tell you what to do. Particularly when there is a corporate policy at odds with what the manager says. If you go into a mom and pops store and the owner tells you to leave. Sure, it's their right as the property owner. When a manager tells you to leave, against written store policy, it's an issue of the manager not knowing or ignoring corporate policy. To spend time arguing that the manager has some all encompassing right to set the rules, like some have on this thread, is to muddy the issue. The manager is in violation of his own companies rules and that needs to be fixed. There is no real discussion of private property rights involved. Corporate policy supersedes the managers ideas in a big box store.

    Could they call the cops and try to charge you with trespassing if you don't leave. Probably. But not because you are breaking a rule on carrying. As the manager they are responsible for the property, and can request that people be removed. Would it stick since it violates company policy? Don't know. Don't want to find out. That's why I'm for leaving and taking it over their heads and let the company straighten them out. What I am not for is calling it a property rights issue, letting them do something that is against policy, and not saying anything about it. That too has been talked about on this thread.
    All of you trying to get your point across that it's private property, are making a false assumtion, in that, IT'S NOT THE STORE MANAGERS PROPERTY!
    It's Cabela's CORPORATE property. If the store manager is anal about ONLY CC'ing, then He needs to go buy his OWN sporting goods store.
    For cripes sake, how is that so hard to unsderstand.
    Do I agree 100% witrh how thew OP handled it?
    No.
    But I definitely would be taking it up with corporate ,and would ask for a written apology from the ill-informed store manager.
    I would rather die with good men than hide with cowards
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.
    Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy."

    M&Pc .357sig, 2340Sigpro .357sig

  9. #39
    Member Array packin45's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    In limbo
    Posts
    388
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaquero 45 View Post
    Cabela's is not a gun store. It is a sporting goods/outdoors store that sells guns. Big difference.

    And carrying a gun no more makes you a "sheepdog" than owning a guitar makes you a guitarist. A true sheepdog doesn't call people who disagree with him "morons" or "dopes," nor does he deride people as "sheep." And he certainly doesn't start an argument in a public place because a store employee asked him to (God forbid) cover his firearm.

    People are going to react to you carrying your firearm openly, whether you like it or not. How can you not understand that not everyone is comfortable around firearms, and won't automatically trust you as one of the "good guys" when they don't know you from Adam? Especially when you are openly displaying a strong symbol of YOUR distrust of people to begin with.

    You need to worry less about the technicalities of what the sign says, and more about how to interact with people who don't think like you.
    "True sheepdog"? LOL...you have got to be kidding....
    G17, G26

    Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil...

  10. #40
    Member Array packin45's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    In limbo
    Posts
    388
    Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    You (in bold) are not sounding like the kind of person I want representing me as an armed citizen. You appear from your writing to be hotheaded and standoffish. Those people, whom you refer to, have every right in the world to be in that store too.
    It's not a gun store. It's a sporting goods store with a gun department. Wall Mart sells guns too, it doesn't make them a gun store. People go to Cabela’s to buy shoes, tents, fishing poles, water filtration products, winter clothing, work clothes and a myriad of other stuff not related to guns. Some people just go to see all the cool stuff on the walls or just to see the fish tank.




    I was in my own vehicle transporting a long gun in accordance with the law and out of view from the public (unless they leaned in my window and looked in my truck). I was not on someone else's property or in a public place. If you can't see the difference between the two then I don't know what else to tell you.


    To me you sound like an angry person who is trying to make a spectacle out of nothing. Do your homework and you will find that Cabela’s give copious amounts of money the NRA and other firearms related groups. They are our friends, not the enemy!

    As far as the law goes you no longer had any applicable right to OC after the employee asked you to conceal. It's private property and any other argument you may have is moot.
    I agree, but the OP did mention the fact that he was venting, in subsequent posts....
    G17, G26

    Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil...

  11. #41
    Member Array packin45's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    In limbo
    Posts
    388
    Quote Originally Posted by b1780 View Post
    Read post # 12. I did exactly that, as well as asked the employee why. I did the same with the manager. I will be taking it up with corporate as well as they seem to be unaware of the legalities of OC in their store. I know that corporate is okay with it, seeing as how the store in Owatanna is fne with it. I have verified this in person as well as with the manager.
    That's great, but you need to learn to take the non-confrontational approach next time around. We're in the same area, and I've shopped at that Cabela's a few times. Don't mess it up for the rest of us.
    G17, G26

    Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil...

  12. #42
    Member Array b1780's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    MN
    Posts
    249
    Agreed, as I look back at the event in retrospect, I agree that this could have been handled differently. I see the errors in my thinking. I will make sure to be a model advocate for OC as well as CC. I realize now that the proper way to handle this, should have been to say nothing, leave the store and take it up with corporate at a later time. I simply asked why I need to cover it up to store associate. I agree that telling the manager my business would go elsewhere was perhaps a bit brash at the moment. I will do better in the future. Thank you for listening to my venting and raving. I wish all of you the best in your endeavors which ever way you choose to carry. We are all part of a common interest here and I have no intentions of screwing that up for fellow gun owners/ carriers. Have a safe holiday weekend.
    When I carry a gun, I don't do so because I am looking for a fight, but because I'm looking to be left alone. The gun at my side means that I cannot be forced, only persuaded. I don't carry it because I'm afraid, but because it enables me to be unafraid.

  13. #43
    VIP Member
    Array atctimmy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Gastonville
    Posts
    6,770
    Quote Originally Posted by packin45 View Post
    I agree, but the OP did mention the fact that he was venting, in subsequent posts....
    Venting on a public forum makes us all look bad. Lurkers are reading this stuff too. Calling people idiots and morons isn't helping anything.
    I havenít heard any of the journalists who volunteered to be waterboarded asking to have their fingernails wrenched out with pliers, or electrodes attached to their genitals.

  14. #44
    VIP Member
    Array atctimmy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Gastonville
    Posts
    6,770
    Quote Originally Posted by b1780 View Post
    Agreed, as I look back at the event in retrospect, I agree that this could have been handled differently. I see the errors in my thinking. I will make sure to be a model advocate for OC as well as CC. I realize now that the proper way to handle this, should have been to say nothing, leave the store and take it up with corporate at a later time. I simply asked why I need to cover it up to store associate. I agree that telling the manager my business would go elsewhere was perhaps a bit brash at the moment. I will do better in the future. Thank you for listening to my venting and raving. I wish all of you the best in your endeavors which ever way you choose to carry. We are all part of a common interest here and I have no intentions of screwing that up for fellow gun owners/ carriers. Have a safe holiday weekend.
    It takes a man to admit he was wrong. Nice job. I'm glad to hear you change your tune and I hope you have a great holiday as well.
    I havenít heard any of the journalists who volunteered to be waterboarded asking to have their fingernails wrenched out with pliers, or electrodes attached to their genitals.

  15. #45
    Member Array ecrist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    168

    Smile I've done it before, there...

    I live near the Cabella's of which you write, and I've open-carried in there many times, without issue. My wife and I went there last fall to purchase a bow and associated accessories; my son and I have gone there to eat and look at tents; my whole family has gone to look at boats. Of all those trips in the past year, I've never had a problem with staff. The only interactions I've had regarding my firearm were 'what is it?,' and, 'I like Glock, too.'

    Perhaps it was how you carried yourself, and not so much what you were carrying?
    It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. - David Hume

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. Boycotting anti-gun employers and anti-gun companies...
    By Toorop in forum Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions
    Replies: 42
    Last Post: December 20th, 2010, 01:04 AM
  2. IKEA is Anti-Concealed Carry and Open Carry Store and presumed anti-RTBA
    By mikestilly in forum Open Carry Issues & Discussions
    Replies: 59
    Last Post: February 8th, 2010, 05:43 PM
  3. Cabellas ammo..
    By GoGators10 in forum Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: June 2nd, 2009, 12:06 PM
  4. Anti-gun letter to the editor in anti-gun newspaper
    By cyberdogg in forum Off Topic & Humor Discussion
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: May 19th, 2009, 01:25 AM
  5. Airman shot by anti-war/anti-gov't nutjob
    By SIGguy229 in forum Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: July 15th, 2007, 09:44 PM

Search tags for this page

cabelas dundee allow open carry
,
cabelas owatonna, mn open carry policy
,
cabellas assult rifles
,

cabellas corporate headquarters

,
cabellas mn
,
cabellasin wisconson
,
glock 26 cabelas dundee mi
,
oc cabellas
,
open carry allowed in cabelas in dundee michigan
,
open carry cabelas rogers mn
,
wisconsin concealed carry at cabella's
Click on a term to search for related topics.