Cabellas is anti OC

This is a discussion on Cabellas is anti OC within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've been in the Rogers, MN Cabelas and have observed folks open carrying at the gun counter before, so I know they allow it... This ...

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 158

Thread: Cabellas is anti OC

  1. #46
    Member Array bstrawse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    153
    I've been in the Rogers, MN Cabelas and have observed folks open carrying at the gun counter before, so I know they allow it... This was within the last few months.

    Thanks!
    b
    NRA Life Member | NRA & MADFI Instructor | Blog | Twitter | Facebook
    My views are my own - they may or may not reflect those of my employer.

  2. Remove Ads

  3. #47
    VIP Member Array zacii's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    arizona
    Posts
    3,749
    If you do contact Cabelas, be sure to tell them that, according to your recent experience, their carry policy is more restrictive than Starbucks. What's up with that?
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

    "A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

  4. #48
    VIP Member
    Array OldVet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Posts
    16,224
    It sounds like you were wanting to make an issue of this than the store personnel. Would it have been any trouble to untuck and carry on with business as usual?
    I didn't think so.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

  5. #49
    Distinguished Member Array Spec's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Metro Detroit Area
    Posts
    1,716
    Quote Originally Posted by Tubby45 View Post
    This is entirely unprofessional on your part.


    This is entirely unprofessional on your part. Sounds like you have no clue regarding the rights of private property.


    This is entirely unprofessional on your part.


    This is entirely unprofessional on your part.


    Seems like you made it into an "event". Abide by the company policy on company property and there won't be problems. If you had simply respected the company's right to dictate whether you can conceal or not on their property, this wouldn't have been an issue. Your lack of principle is what lead to this situation and drama.

    No, you are not. You were violating their policy on private property. You were not within the letter of the law. If a company doesn't want you to openly carry a firearm on their property, it's there right and there is nothing you can do about it.


    I don't blame him one bit. I would never lose sleep over losing a customer that acted like that.


    I would grow up, get informed about private property rights, and leave the attitude at home where it belongs. Next time you are on private property I suggest you respect their right and policy and act like an adult.
    Hey the man need to vent. It is understandable. This stuff is very frustrating. As long as he is respectful while OC and speaking to the employees.

    Second off.... I emailed Bass Pro, Dick's Sporting Goods, Gander Mountain, etc. One time asking the management if they know the laws regarding OC and what their policies are. They all sent emails back and confirmed that OC is aloud in the stores.

    I'm an OC advocate and due this alot for the cause of our rights. It is more professional IMO than just going into the stores and testing the employees. At least my way If they give me crap I can pull out the email from management that says... "The Store Policy" employees opinions will be just that.

    Carry On...
    NRA Certified Rifle/Pistol Instructor
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G18CFw0lnD8

    Accuracy ALWAYS WINS! So carry what you can hit with.

    If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics stink.

  6. #50
    Distinguished Member Array Spec's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Metro Detroit Area
    Posts
    1,716
    Quote Originally Posted by Grant48 View Post
    Agree 100%. They're not telling you that you can't carry... rather, simply that they would like you to keep it concealed. Doesn't seem like a big deal to me.
    OldVet "It sounds like you were wanting to make an issue of this than the store personnel. Would it have been any trouble to untuck and carry on with business as usual?
    I didn't think so."

    Yes it is a bid deal! It is OUR RIGHTS that get tramped on day after day. IF we don't start "sticking to our guns" so to speak pretty soon the will take more and more away.
    NRA Certified Rifle/Pistol Instructor
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G18CFw0lnD8

    Accuracy ALWAYS WINS! So carry what you can hit with.

    If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics stink.

  7. #51
    Senior Member Array Grant48's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    651
    Yes it is a bid deal! It is OUR RIGHTS that get tramped on day after day. IF we don't start "sticking to our guns" so to speak pretty soon the will take more and more away.
    Oh please, this has nothing to do with "rights being trampled", as it's not a governmental restriction upon anyone's rights. It's private property.

    And like I said, they're not telling you that you can't carry. They simply prefer, should you carry, that you keep it concealed. It's not an undue burden, by any means.

  8. #52
    Member Array NIS350ZTT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    South GA
    Posts
    244
    This thread seems to be going more towards about whether he should be OC'ing or CC'ing.

    That's not the point. OC is legal in MN, this particular Cabela's didn't allow him to practice a legal right.

    BTW, I'm going to CC (pending permit), having only minuscule interest in OC'ing one day. However, I still believe people shouldn't be harassed for abiding by the law.

  9. #53
    Distinguished Member Array Spec's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Metro Detroit Area
    Posts
    1,716
    Grant48"Oh please, this has nothing to do with "rights being trampled", as it's not a governmental restriction upon anyone's rights. It's private property.

    And like I said, they're not telling you that you can't carry. They simply prefer, should you carry, that you keep it concealed. It's not an undue burden, by any means."

    That means I would have to NOT carry.. seeing how I don't have a CPL.. so what do you have to say about that? Not all of us have the luxury of CC... and yes "A Right Unexercised, Is a Right lost." That's how it happens. Plus if you don't start OC and educating the Uneducated. Guns in general will be viewed as taboo. If more people see gun toting people are Good Guys than views towards gun advocates in general will not be so looked down upon.(<-if you argue against that I will question your source of information.)
    NRA Certified Rifle/Pistol Instructor
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G18CFw0lnD8

    Accuracy ALWAYS WINS! So carry what you can hit with.

    If you find yourself in a fair fight your tactics stink.

  10. #54
    Member Array b1780's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    MN
    Posts
    249
    Quote Originally Posted by NIS350ZTT View Post
    This thread seems to be going more towards about whether he should be OC'ing or CC'ing.

    That's not the point. OC is legal in MN, this particular Cabela's didn't allow him to practice a legal right.

    BTW, I'm going to CC (pending permit), having only minuscule interest in OC'ing one day. However, I still believe people shouldn't be harassed for abiding by the law.
    Thank you for your logical input. This is the same problem I have with what happened. I just want to be able to exercise my right to OC.
    When I carry a gun, I don't do so because I am looking for a fight, but because I'm looking to be left alone. The gun at my side means that I cannot be forced, only persuaded. I don't carry it because I'm afraid, but because it enables me to be unafraid.

  11. #55
    Member Array b1780's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    MN
    Posts
    249
    Quote Originally Posted by ecrist View Post
    I live near the Cabella's of which you write, and I've open-carried in there many times, without issue. My wife and I went there last fall to purchase a bow and associated accessories; my son and I have gone there to eat and look at tents; my whole family has gone to look at boats. Of all those trips in the past year, I've never had a problem with staff. The only interactions I've had regarding my firearm were 'what is it?,' and, 'I like Glock, too.'

    Perhaps it was how you carried yourself, and not so much what you were carrying?
    I disagree. I didnt have a problem anywhere else I went that day. Nothing changed. I was well dressed and well mannerd. Infact I went to a quiznos for lunch and the store owner thanked me for being armed in their place of business. I am ex military and keep the same image and conservative style today that I did while in the military. When I OC I make sure that I am dressed and acting in a manner that is positve. The words in my original post were me simply venting. When I was asked to conceal I asked why, and then untucked my shirt. Perhaps I should have not spoken to the manager and just taken it up with corporate. I have stated the errors in my thinking in a previous post. Let me ask you, how would you feel if someone infringed upon your right to OC, when corporate and state policy are in favor of it? I believe you would be upset too.
    When I carry a gun, I don't do so because I am looking for a fight, but because I'm looking to be left alone. The gun at my side means that I cannot be forced, only persuaded. I don't carry it because I'm afraid, but because it enables me to be unafraid.

  12. #56
    VIP Member Array CLASS3NH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Bob from Southern New Hampshire
    Posts
    4,635
    I've been following this thread, and it always gets to a point of flaming around here. With this in mind, I would like to share from a retail gun sales position. To the OP, please remember that yes, you ARE a customer, but also, you're a guest in THEIR house (Cabella's) where you don't have to make a purchase, nor do they have to let you in their establishment.
    Most all of you know that I work at a Kittery Trading Post Gun Dept in Maine, and would like to give my own insight on this thread. Last week, I posted a VERY GOOD experience with a man and his wife, who BOTH were O/Cing at the store. They were both dressed in summer atire (comfy shirts and blue jeans) She carried a S&W mod 60, and he caried a Glock 26, both with decent leather high ride holsters. They walked throughout the store, bought several items, and passed thru MANY people in order to get to the Shooting Sports Dept (on the 2nd floor) We have plenty of Sheeple in the store, as well as Pro 2nd ammendment folk. The store has a policy of checking your firearms at the door, more of a, SAFETY and MUTUAL RESPECT thing than anything. Also, it lets us know that YOU didn't STEAL the gun you have when you leave the store.(We give you a slip with the type, make, cal s/n etc and you hand it to us when you leave and I'm sure Cabella's has a Insurance Policy on similar) thus the sign about conceal carry.
    Bottom line is, it depends on how you're carrying the gun, how you present yourself, along with your demeanor that attracts attention. if I were approached, and asked to "cover up" I would not start to tell the person in charge about what my rights are, but cover up, do my business, and then write a letter and place it in the Customer Comment box (all those stores, including KTP has one) this way in gets addressed by the Customer Service desk, and HR. Take it from one who knows. Good, bad, or indifferent, it all gets addressed to the OWNER of the business, then the Managers/ Dept Head meetings, and then it rolls downhill from there.
    BTW, the store is owned by a private Family for over 70 yrs now, making it PRIVATE PROPERTY, and THEY, the OWNERS, make the rules, not the other way around.
    Last edited by CLASS3NH; May 30th, 2010 at 10:40 PM.
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

  13. #57
    Member Array Benthic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Pensacola, FL
    Posts
    330
    Quote Originally Posted by b1780 View Post
    <snip>Let me ask you, how would you feel if someone infringed upon your right to OC, when corporate and state policy are in favor of it? I believe you would be upset too.
    First of all, the Cabella's store in question did not infringe upon your right. Their property rights, trump your right to carry. In the same way that your property rights would trump my right to free speech if I chose to stand in your living room and scream "You're an idiot" at the top of my lungs. The Constitution only protects your rights from infringement by the Government, not by private parties.

    Now, I'll give you that the employee claiming that the signs state No Open Carry when in fact they do not is annoying. However, in my opinion the correct course of action would have been to cover your weapon (which you did) and then take your business elsewhere. If the Cabella's management sees enough people reacting in such a fashion, hopefully they'll change their tune. Of course, since you knew that Cabella's corporate policy allows open carry then when you got home, you could have followed up with a polite letter to Corporate.

    If one really wants to be an ambassador for gun rights, strive to be polite and non-confrontational in all situations like this one. It's their right to ask us to cover up while in their store, and it's our right to take our business elsewhere. But if that happens, we must politely explain why we're taking the stand that we are, and then go about our business. If we act like jerks then we'll be remembered as jerks and that's not the kind of publicity we need.

    Brian

  14. #58
    Member Array Raspy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Wellington, NV
    Posts
    19
    If a store representative asks you to not open carry and you turn into a jerk and start demanding your rights (as you see them), you are becomming an armed trouble maker. This could easily lead to the police coming and you losing big time.

    The last thing I would want, as a store manager, is a beligerant gun toting customer demanding something.

    Get over it! And take your business elsewhere if you don't like it. Meanwhile, respect private property and the rights of the owners. Cabela's is private property.

  15. #59
    Member Array NIS350ZTT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    South GA
    Posts
    244
    Kind of a big assumption saying he was acting like a jerk and that he started demanding his rights (or had a attitude, or unprofessional) considering none of us who posted were there.

  16. #60
    Member Array b1780's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    MN
    Posts
    249
    Quote Originally Posted by NIS350ZTT View Post
    Kind of a big assumption saying he was acting like a jerk and that he started demanding his rights (or had a attitude, or unprofessional) considering none of us who posted were there.
    Thank you fellow DC member. My thoughts exactly. I did nothing of the kind. I simply asked why the associate wanted me to conceal. After doing so, untucked my shirt and headed for the door. I spoke briefly with the manager and walked out quite peacefully.
    When I carry a gun, I don't do so because I am looking for a fight, but because I'm looking to be left alone. The gun at my side means that I cannot be forced, only persuaded. I don't carry it because I'm afraid, but because it enables me to be unafraid.

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. Boycotting anti-gun employers and anti-gun companies...
    By Toorop in forum Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions
    Replies: 42
    Last Post: December 20th, 2010, 12:04 AM
  2. IKEA is Anti-Concealed Carry and Open Carry Store and presumed anti-RTBA
    By mikestilly in forum Open Carry Issues & Discussions
    Replies: 59
    Last Post: February 8th, 2010, 04:43 PM
  3. Cabellas ammo..
    By GoGators10 in forum Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: June 2nd, 2009, 11:06 AM
  4. Anti-gun letter to the editor in anti-gun newspaper
    By cyberdogg in forum Off Topic & Humor Discussion
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: May 19th, 2009, 12:25 AM
  5. Airman shot by anti-war/anti-gov't nutjob
    By SIGguy229 in forum Law Enforcement, Military & Homeland Security Discussion
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: July 15th, 2007, 08:44 PM

Search tags for this page

cabelas dundee allow open carry
,
cabelas owatonna, mn open carry policy
,
cabellas assult rifles
,

cabellas corporate headquarters

,
cabellas mn
,
cabellasin wisconson
,
glock 26 cabelas dundee mi
,
oc cabellas
,
open carry allowed in cabelas in dundee michigan
,
open carry cabelas rogers mn
,
wisconsin concealed carry at cabella's
Click on a term to search for related topics.