Cabellas is anti OC

Cabellas is anti OC

This is a discussion on Cabellas is anti OC within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I OC a bit more now that summer temps are here in this fine state of MN. This afternoon I went to the Cabellas in ...

Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Cabellas is anti OC

Cabellas is anti OC

I OC a bit more now that summer temps are here in this fine state of MN. This afternoon I went to the Cabellas in Rogers MN to do a bit of shopping. I had my eye on a new assualt rifle and needed more amo. So I am looking at some t-shirts that caught my eye, when out of the blue a store associate flags me down. He requests that I untuck my shirt to conceal my G22 that I am carrying. I am quite taken aback by this, due to the fact that their sign on the entrance clearly states that their firearm policy does not apply to those that have a concealed handgun license. Now keep in mind MN is an open carry state!. I very kindly ask this moron why he would like me to conceal, as I explain to him that it is unnecessary as they are not posted. I am completely following the letter of the law. He informs me that there are signs everywhere throughout the store that state that the firearm must be concealed. At this point I am pissed, seeing as this dope has no clue regarding the laws. I ask him to show me the sign that states this, simply because I allready know that it does not exist. Walking to the exit, without the items I intended to purchase, I see the store manager. I explain to him what his retard employee has asked me to do. I want to clarify Cabellas position on this before I will ever spend another dime in their store. I am told by this *** hat that if I want to shop in there store the firearm must be concealed. At this point I am upset about this event out of mostly principle. Sure I could have simply CC'd when entering, but I didn't want to, and I am completely within the letter of the law to OC. I inform the manager that they just lost out on about 2K worth of my business, and that I will be sure to express my dissatisfaction with others on this forum as well as other I know that frequent their store. He seems to not give a damn about this situation at all.

I am curious, should I take this up with corporate, or just let this slide ?

As a side note I OC'd all day at many store without any issue. I even made sure to dress for the ocassion. I wore a nice pair of Kakhi pants and a nice polo shirt. Even though I have been out of the military for a few years now, I still maintain a very clean cut military appearance. What would you guys do about this ?
    When I carry a gun, I don't do so because I am looking for a fight, but because I'm looking to be left alone. The gun at my side means that I cannot be forced, only persuaded. I don't carry it because I'm afraid, but because it enables me to be unafraid.

Quote Originally Posted by b1780 View Post
    I very kindly ask this moron
    This is entirely unprofessional on your part.

this dope has no clue regarding the laws.
    This is entirely unprofessional on your part. Sounds like you have no clue regarding the rights of private property.

I explain to him what his retard employee

I am told by this *** hat that if I want to shop in there store the firearm must be concealed.

At this point I am upset about this event out of mostly principle.
    Seems like you made it into an "event". Abide by the company policy on company property and there won't be problems. If you had simply respected the company's right to dictate whether you can conceal or not on their property, this wouldn't have been an issue. Your lack of principle is what lead to this situation and drama.
    Sure I could have simply CC'd when entering, but I didn't want to, and I am completely within the letter of the law to OC.
    No, you are not. You were violating their policy on private property. You were not within the letter of the law. If a company doesn't want you to openly carry a firearm on their property, it's there right and there is nothing you can do about it.

I inform the manager that they just lost out on about 2K worth of my business, and that I will be sure to express my dissatisfaction with others on this forum as well as other I know that frequent their store. He seems to not give a damn about this situation at all.
    I don't blame him one bit. I would never lose sleep over losing a customer that acted like that.

I am curious, should I take this up with corporate, or just let this slide ?
    I would grow up, get informed about private property rights, and leave the attitude at home where it belongs. Next time you are on private property I suggest you respect their right and policy and act like an adult.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

I usually go to the same store and must admit that have never noticed these signs requiring that one conceals his gun. I have always carried concealed when I have shopped there.

Since it's private property, I am afraid that they may establish any weapons policy, regardless of the law. But, it seems ironic considering that they have hundreds of weapons on display and tons on ammo on the floor.

I would leave it alone if I were you and keep shopping there. At least they allow us to carry and support the 2A, plus they do have some pretty good deals from time to time.
    Duty, Honor, Country...MEDIC!!!
    ¡Cuánto duele crecer, cuan hondo es el dolor de alzarse en puntillas y observar con temblores de angustia, esa cosa tremenda, que es la vida del hombre! - René Marqués

Quote Originally Posted by boricua View Post
    I usually go to the same store and must admit that have never noticed these signs requiring that one conceals his gun. I have always carried concealed when I have shopped there.

Since it's private property, I am afraid that they may establish any weapons policy, regardless of the law. But, it seems ironic considering that they have hundreds of weapons on display and tons on ammo on the floor.

I would leave it alone if I were you and keep shopping there. At least they allow us to carry and support the 2A, plus they do have some pretty good deals from time to time.
    I agree, its just ironic and irked me a bit
    When I carry a gun, I don't do so because I am looking for a fight, but because I'm looking to be left alone. The gun at my side means that I cannot be forced, only persuaded. I don't carry it because I'm afraid, but because it enables me to be unafraid.

Quote Originally Posted by Tubby45 View Post

Sounds like you have no clue regarding the rights of private property.

I would grow up, get informed about private property rights, and leave the attitude at home where it belongs. Next time you are on private property I suggest you respect their right and policy and act like an adult.
    The Cliff Notes version, of which I am in agreement.

Biker

So were there signs stating that firearms had to be concealed, or not?
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

I have yet to go into a Cabela's that prohibits open carry if the state laws in that particular state allows OC.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

No the signs did not say that the firearms had to be concealed at all. This is why I am uspset. The words I used in my post were me simply venting here. I understand that it is private property but they are not posted, and there are no signs stating that I had to CC.

I guess if you don't like their policy, then by all means, take your money elsewhere.

That is dumb, though, if they don't post it and then give people a hard time. How are customers supposed to know their policies if they don't post them? Then they make somebody's day hairy by confronting them on it.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Quote Originally Posted by zacii View Post
    I guess if you don't like their policy, then by all means, take your money elsewhere.

That is dumb, though, if they don't post it and then give people a hard time. How are customers supposed to know their policies if they don't post them? Then they make somebody's day hairy by confronting them on it.
    My point exactly. If they want me to know the rules, that are clearly different then what is posted on the door they need to make them clear. I don't have a crystal ball. I guess what made me the most angry is that the sign on the door says one thing, but the employee and manager seem to have their own opinions. I have been to the othe store in Owatonna, MN and have OC'd without any problems at all. I called their manager this afternoon and he said that it is corporate policy to follow the rules of the state, and that OC in their store was just fine. So explain to me the difference from store to store that is all part of the same corp.

You guys should consider yourselves lucky you have a Cabelas to shop in.

If I want to buy something from them, I have to pony up a bundle for shipping.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Quote Originally Posted by Majorlk View Post
    I have yet to go into a Cabela's that prohibits open carry if the state laws in that particular state allows OC.
    Perhaps the second person who posted here does not understand this. Perhaps if they did, then they would not have completely flamed me. I was simply venting here. I am sure we have all been there before. I understand that when we OC we must be ambassadors of OC. This is why I covered up, but challegend why they were asking me. I think that it is complete huey when an employee states something that is contradictory of the signs and corporate policy.

We have all heard of store that do this, and have seen posts here that talk about it. I just was sharing my experience, perhaps too soon before cooling my jets. My apologies

Quote Originally Posted by varob View Post
    You guys should consider yourselves lucky you have a Cabelas to shop in.

If I want to buy something from them, I have to pony up a bundle for shipping.
    I was happy. That is until this stupid event today. I mean my god, they have firearms on open display, but someone who has gone through the training and the rest of the process to obtain the privilege to carry a firearm cant do so openly. This is absurd

When you're on Private Property, you gotta do as they ask, or not enter the establishment. If it had been me, I would have just CCd my way around the store, and then OD'd when I left. No sense making a scene of it, as they could have called the PD and asked that you leave.
    Hope your next experience is a better one.
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

VIP Member
    Since I have never been to a Cabelas I have no idea what their published policy is. Even if I did, I would not stand in the store and argue with them about it. Leave and write a letter to corporate about it.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links