California Anti-Open Carry Law - Page 2

California Anti-Open Carry Law

This is a discussion on California Anti-Open Carry Law within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Hiram25 There still selling beach front property in Nevada, waiting for the big one that will let California slide into the ocean! ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: California Anti-Open Carry Law

Quote Originally Posted by Hiram25 View Post
    There still selling beach front property in Nevada, waiting for the big one that will let California slide into the ocean! Do you think the Great Lakes could swallow Illinois and New York?

Not only no, but hell no!! Lake Erie has just gotten back to where you can eat the fish you catch. Don't wanna pollute the Lakes again.

(Sorry New Yorkers and Illini - we'll take you guys as long as you leave your elected officials at home)
    "Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups"

Any idea where the Governator stands on this one? I'm not that hopeful, but you never know.
    ‎An enemy of liberty is no friend of mine. I do not owe respect to anyone who would enslave me by government force, nor is it wise for such a person to expect it. -- Isaiah Amberay

This law will be ruled unconstitutional when 2A is incorporated into the states.

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum12/45253.html

I wouldn't be too concerned if AZ became ocean front property...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

So, technically... anyone carrying a gun to their car, or taking it out , or going hunting... is in violation of the law.

Now, that's dumb.

Quote Originally Posted by Eagleks View Post
    So, technically... anyone carrying a gun to their car, or taking it out , or going hunting... is in violation of the law.

Now, that's dumb.

in GA the first 2 would be correct its actually illegal to carry in your own yard without a GFL....
    S&W M&P40/M&P9c OC rigs
    S&W 640-1 or Sig P238 as a CC rig
    proud www.georgiacarry.org member
    Second Amendment Foundation Life member

Quote Originally Posted by Benthic View Post
    This is disgusting! How is it that the Legislative Body for a State can get away with passing a law that is blatantly unconstitutional?

It seems that in more and more cases, State Legislatures and the US Congress are adopting the stance that they can pass whatever law they want, and if folks see it as unconstitutional then they can sort it out in the court system. In my opinion, that's wrong. The courts exist as a failsafe to interpret the law and apply it. They're not supposed to have to spend all their time striking down laws that were clearly unconstitutional on their face.

Brian
    I think the argument hinges on at least 2 things. They don't believe the 2A applies to them. And the state of CA has no constitutional protection for the RTKABA. From OCDO...

State Constitution The California Constitution contains NO provision for the right to keep and bear arms.

OpenCarry.org - State Information For California

Combine those 2 things and they think they can do whatever, wherever, to whoever as far as the RTKABA is concerned.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Quote Originally Posted by r0rtiz View Post
    It still has to get the Senate's vote as well as Arnold's signature, but dont hold your breath on that. Hopefully this is challenged in court. In light of the D.C. and Chicago cases from the Supreme Court i think that there is a good chance that this gets overturned.
    Just curious, is there any anti-gun legislation that your governor hasn't signed? He appears to be another RINO.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

jfl
    I escaped from the P.R.K. in the 80's; gave up on it. Too many crazy bleeding heart, tree hugging libs; let's just give it back to Mexico
    The first rule of a gunfight: "Don't be there !"
    The second rule: "Bring enough gun"

jfl
    (NRA Life Member/Instructor - GOA - IDPA - GSSF - ex-IHMSA)

Quote Originally Posted by Majorlk View Post
    Just curious, is there any anti-gun legislation that your governor hasn't signed? He appears to be another RINO.
    Point taken. Alas, we appear to be hosed!

There is a old saying, you get what you pay for...in this case you get what you vote for.
    Have Gun ~ Will Carry
    S-Safety
    M-Motivation
    A-Awareness
    R-Responsibility
    T-Training

Ballot Initiatives

Californians have passed lots of ballot initiatives (Propositions) that go against the 'political' grain of the State. Propositions are 'bills' that are written and then go directly on the ballot, bypassing the traditional bi-camber process. Although CA is definitely dominated by Liberals in its State Assembly and State Senate, the voters are much more moderate to Center-Right. A simple, straight forward Proposition that reaffirms the 2nd Amendment Rights of Californians has a pretty good chance of getting both on the ballot and eventually passed.

Quote Originally Posted by gawntrail View Post
    Californians have passed lots of ballot initiatives (Propositions) that go against the 'political' grain of the State. Propositions are 'bills' that are written and then go directly on the ballot, bypassing the traditional bi-camber process. Although CA is definitely dominated by Liberals in its State Assembly and State Senate, the voters are much more moderate to Center-Right. A simple, straight forward Proposition that reaffirms the 2nd Amendment Rights of Californians has a pretty good chance of getting both on the ballot and eventually passed.
    I wouldn't bet any significant amount of money on that statement. California has of history of a significant percentage of those passed initiatives winding up being challenged in court and overturned by the 9th circuit.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

Quote Originally Posted by Majorlk View Post
    I wouldn't bet any significant amount of money on that statement. California has of history of a significant percentage of those passed initiatives winding up being challenged in court and overturned by the 9th circuit.
    Some of the most politically conservative issues have been passed through the proposition process. Yes, as a whole CA is Liberal and is stuck in a nasty Liberal tailspin. But, Prop 13 (property taxation ceiling) was passed in the 70's, Prop 187 (no benefits to illegals) in the 90's, Prop 22 (no recognition of Gay Marriage) in 2000, and Prop 8 (Amending the State Constitution to only recognizing opposite sex marriages) in 2008.

Now, politics aside. On a strict Constitutional basis a Proposition that reaffirms Californians rights provided for by the 2nd Amendment only needs to receive enough votes to pass. Once it is passed, it could not suffer the fate of Prop 22 (struck down by the CA Supreme Court) because the 2nd Amendment is black and white. And is gaining more 'strength' by the anti-gunners being struck down around the country.

This is the first paragraph after the Preamble of the California Constitution:

SECTION 1. All people are by nature free and independent and have inalienable rights. Among these are enjoying and defending life and liberty, acquiring, possessing, and protecting property, and pursuing and obtaining safety, happiness, and privacy.

Again, not political. Just a reaffirmation of what is already guaranteed by both the US and California Constitutions. And, I'm not meaning to be argumentative, because you are right that the normal process makes this a pipe dream. But, I believe the best and eventual way for it to happen is through the Proposition process.

Quote Originally Posted by Hiram25 View Post
    There still selling beach front property in Nevada, waiting for the big one that will let California slide into the ocean! Do you think the Great Lakes could swallow Illinois and New York?
    Well, maybe Chicago could flood, I think that would take care of most of the anti-gun of that state. Then with NY, I would look to the Ocean. NY city is where most of the anti-gun is in NY.

Quote Originally Posted by jfl View Post
    I escaped from the P.R.K. in the 80's; gave up on it. Too many crazy bleeding heart, tree hugging libs; let's just give it back to Mexico
    All joking aside, I'm not writing off any state. 2A is law, and it is U.S. soil.
    NRA Member
    S&W 642 (no-lock) with .38 Spl +P 135 GR Gold GDHP
    Glock G31 & G33 with .357 Sig 125 GR. SXT Winchester Ranger

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links