OC yesterday at local city park

This is a discussion on OC yesterday at local city park within the Open Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Myself and the Pinklady went for a walk around the local city park yesterday evening. She was OC'ing her newly acquired S&W 60 in one ...

Thread: OC yesterday at local city park

OC yesterday at local city park

Myself and the Pinklady went for a walk around the local city park yesterday evening. She was OC'ing her newly acquired S&W 60 in one of my J.I.T. slides that fits my LCR since we havn't ordered her a holster yet. I'll tell ya, that back strap on the mod 60 really stands out.
    I was CC'ing my Kahr CW9 under a white T-shirt that had the XD logo on the front upper left and a huge black outlined drawing of an XD on the back. The shirt is not as big and baggy as some of my shirts, so my CW9 was printing on my right side a little.

We usually will do about 9 laps around the park. About our 2nd or 3rd lap around one of the city LEO's pulls up at the park. He gets out of his car, puts on his smokey bear hat, goes around to the back of his patrol car and all the local kids (the ones that are there at the park at the current time) swarm him. He's handing out cards (baseball style card with his photo and what he does etc.) to the kids along with little stick on tattoo's of a police shield, and a piece of candy.

We make our way around and walk right past the front of his car, on the sidewalk, Pinklady is closest to that edge of the sidewalk. He looks at us and keeps on about his business. Next time around we're wondering if he's going to stop us. I'm sure at this point he's seen her OC'ing the 60 and he probably checked me out and noticed I was printing. I figure for this he might stop us if not just to make sure I have a permit. Again, he looks, but doesn't say a word. We go on past.

Our son, bashful as he is, won't go over to him, but either followed us, or stayed to the inside portion (playground area) of the park.
    Some of the kids went over and were talking to him and I guess the LEO sent a card, candy, and tattoo with the other kids for them to give to him. He showed them to us when we left.

On our last lap one of the kids...same kid that a few weeks back saw us walking and notice my wife OC'ing went around on his bicycle telling everyone that she was carrying and pointing her out... hollered at us and asked why do you carry a gun? I told him for the same reason that people wear seat belts. This surprised but (the light came on) look came on his face. When we finished the last lap and got back to where we start (park), the same kid says something about knowing or not knowing about carrying a gun with a license. So I set him straight and told him that actually in VA as long as you're not a felon, you can OC a gun without a permit and you can CC a gun as long as you obtain a permit.

I think we have a future CC/OC'er.

We got home and I looked at the LEO's card. Says he was hired by the city in 2005, promoted to Sergeant in 2007. Special assignments are Firearms and Radar instructor.

Sorry for the long post.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    The Officer left you alone, just like he should. Good post.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

Don't be sorry about the long post. To tell the whole story was a very important one, and the outcome was a very positive experience. Hope you have the same type of positive encounters in the future.
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

Distinguished Member Array MinistrMalic's Avatar
    It was a good post! Here in AZ you're more likely to get into a good discussion of carry guns than have a problem with OC. Glad it went well for you.
    "...whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one." (Luke 22:36)
    Christianity and Self Defense from a Biblical Perspective

Good stuff. Be nice if all encounters were like that.

VIP Member
    Nice!
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

VIP Member
    Way it should be!

all around!
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Links